Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Earth 2 Is Such A Monumental Masterpiece, It Must Be From Outer Space (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40264)

Skuj 06.25.2010 12:02 AM

Earth 2 Is Such A Monumental Masterpiece, It Must Be From Outer Space

Discuss.

(I just fuckin adore the structure of the motherfucker. Riffage eventually gives way to dronage with percussives, and the way that these people did it is beyond mere worship. It really is a compositional masterpiece, up there with Bach and Cage.)

ann ashtray 06.25.2010 12:29 AM

One of my favorite albums to pass out to after a night of heavy Swa(y)-style drinking. That kid, + that damned love/hate relationship w/ whiskey. Worst ex-girlfriend ever. She shows up at random times, begging him to take her + he loves 'er so much that he's just gotta, gotta, gotta. After a few days she starts wearin' on 'em though, + he tells her to get lost again. Wines a bit sweeter, a bit more understanding. Even if not quite as sexy. She can sit on his fridge-top looking all sexy sometimes for days on end, and he doesn't even have to touch her. Sober Swa(y) prefers Extra-Capsular Extraction. And Hex is something special, too. Dylan did something super creative w/ that one. He's def. under-appreciated, and in my mind far better than a few of those bands that clearly filled their notebooks w/ lessons learned from Earth....some of those bands are good, too, though...just not as good.

But Swa(y) + Ms. Ezra Brooks, they've had some great times w/ that Earth 2 record. Room dark as shit and spinning, that record will slow things down a bit.

yeah, it's toward the top of my list of fav. records to get drunk to. + whenever I'm listening to it, I feel like the only person in the entire world. I can dig that.

atsonicpark 06.25.2010 01:02 AM

Hhaa, Robe. actually made a tribute (in title anyway) cd.. Glacial:Special Low Frequency Edition (Boris made the Absolutego tribute version too). Great album. Phases 3 is also awesome. The thing is, it was such a simple but perfect template that there really doesn't need to be any more doomdrone stuff that sounds like this album -- and yet there was... tons of it.

batreleaser 06.25.2010 09:54 AM

I love that record, but to be honest, I like the new Earth records more. "Hex" and "The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull" totally blew my mind. Driving stoned in the desert with those sounds is surreal. I love the wild west "Blood Meridian" influences. Dylan Carlson is one of today's most important musicians.

ni'k 06.25.2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
One of my favorite albums to pass out to after a night of heavy Swa(y)-style drinking. That kid, + that damned love/hate relationship w/ whiskey. Worst ex-girlfriend ever. She shows up at random times, begging him to take her + he loves 'er so much that he's just gotta, gotta, gotta. After a few days she starts wearin' on 'em though, + he tells her to get lost again. Wines a bit sweeter, a bit more understanding. Even if not quite as sexy. She can sit on his fridge-top looking all sexy sometimes for days on end, and he doesn't even have to touch her. Sober Swa(y) prefers Extra-Capsular Extraction. And Hex is something special, too. Dylan did something super creative w/ that one. He's def. under-appreciated, and in my mind far better than a few of those bands that clearly filled their notebooks w/ lessons learned from Earth....some of those bands are good, too, though...just not as good.

But Swa(y) + Ms. Ezra Brooks, they've had some great times w/ that Earth 2 record. Room dark as shit and spinning, that record will slow things down a bit.

yeah, it's toward the top of my list of fav. records to get drunk to. + whenever I'm listening to it, I feel like the only person in the entire world. I can dig that.

worst post of all time?

TheFoxBen 06.25.2010 10:20 AM

I hate this album.

jon boy 06.25.2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray

oh for christ sakes.

anyway, yes this album is fantastic! its one of the first ones i ever heard so i have a real love of it. i bought it with my last $10.

atsonicpark 06.25.2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
worst post of all time?

Yeah, it's up there.

tesla69 06.25.2010 01:08 PM

record was released like 15 years ago...your parent listened to it. It is a cool release, hate their subsequent stuff.

loubarret 06.25.2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFoxBen
I hate this album.

Please explain.

atsonicpark 06.25.2010 02:09 PM

He also hates Trout Mask Replica, so I'm guessing he hates stuff without melodies?

loubarret 06.25.2010 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
He also hates Trout Mask Replica, so I'm guessing he hates stuff without melodies?

Good point, I bet he also hates loveless...wait he doesn't hate it anymore.

SYRFox 06.25.2010 02:14 PM

he hates stuff that hate haters hating ate eight years ago

SYRFox 06.25.2010 02:15 PM

basically he's a belgian

atsonicpark 06.25.2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loubarret
Good point, I bet he also hates loveless...wait he doesn't hate it anymore.

Interesting. I don't hate Loveless but I don't really like half the songs on there. Fucking love Isn't Anything, though.

The Earl Of Slander 06.25.2010 02:41 PM

It's a solid gold fucking album. I also love Phase 3, which trust takes things in an even more generally broken, and much more eclectic, direction. My favourite however might be Penestar, which I think is hugely underrated. I can't quite put my finger one why, but for some reason that one always has a special aura to me that bumps it a few notches up the mind blowage scale somehow...

loubarret 06.25.2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Interesting. I don't hate Loveless but I don't really like half the songs on there. Fucking love Isn't Anything, though.

Well major major fan but it's one of those albums that do shit to you or completely grabs you.

viewtiful alan redux 06.25.2010 03:44 PM

i bought this abum (on cd unfortunately) at Amoeba Records in San Francisco. I didn't know what to expect from it, but it seemed daunting, only three tracks, all of them over 15 minutes... I had no idea what I was getting into.
When I got around to listening to it, I kept waiting for the songs to start, but wasn't bothered that they never did. The massive, heavy distortion basically had me hypnotized.
I can't defend Earth 2 as great 'music' but it kept my jaw on the floor the whole time by doing so much with so little (stylistically thay is) and to me that's the mark of any great piece of art, music or otherwise.
This and domkirke are sort of neck and neck for my favorite drone album

atsonicpark 06.25.2010 04:31 PM

viewtiful alan redux 06.25.2010 04:52 PM

^
?