Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

Debaser 10.10.2020 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
You ask that like I'm some kind of political anomaly. There are literally millions of people who would've once considered themselves 'of the left' but ditched so-called Leftist/Liberal parties, whether it's for Trump, Boris, whoever, simply because they find them more in tune with their sense of reality than most of those who currently advertise themselves as Leftists or Liberals. That's less an endorsement of Trump, et al, and more a question about how Left/Liberal politics has managed to alienate so many of what was once its base.

Right so, I'm from N.Ireland. Sinn Fein were championing LGBT equality. Sinn Fein's slogan in the last election was 'Equality, rights' Sinn Fein arn't exactly an establishment party, they're very much a party in the working class in what ..more than half of the north? People in my home town were resonated by this message (bullshit or not).

Again it reminds me of Brendan O'Neill or Spiked, moaning about all of this shit...who cares?! That prick has the luxury to go on every major media outlet and could actually talk about having the most corrupt UK government (which effects everyone), the most inept government (which effects everyone) and so on...but nope complaining about 'tranny' issues is his priority

!@#$%! 10.10.2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

You ask that like I'm some kind of political anomaly. There are literally millions of people who would've once considered themselves 'of the left' but ditched so-called Leftist/Liberal parties, whether it's for Trump, Boris, whoever, simply because they find them more in tune with their sense of reality than most of those who currently advertise themselves as Leftists or Liberals. That's less an endorsement of Trump, et al, and more a question about how Left/Liberal politics has managed to alienate so many of what was once its base.

nah, i’m not talking to millions, i’m talking to you. i don’t know “millions” and never talked to them.

shit man, i thought i knew you. i understand being disillusioned with the left. i understand being a political orphan. i understand a general skepticism about politics. but from there to actively siding with the bastards, and joining their propaganda campaign.... that shit is... oooof....

now when i think of west ham all i think is of this...

dammit man...

Skuj 10.10.2020 02:56 PM

Dotard (who is looking particularly orange today) just gave a speech at the Whitehouse to his MAGA people, who were crowded together, with very few masks anywhere. This, after the SCOTUS Nomination thing was deemed a spreader event.

There is no pandemic. There is no science. Nobody in this cult cares about it.

You know what? Keep doing this, Trumpy people. Enjoy those rallies.

Skuj 10.10.2020 03:15 PM

I just want to add that I think Strzok's new book stands out from the recent slew of Trump Horror Show books. It is well written and researched, and it is scary as fuck. I am constantly reminded that it is fucking amazing what Trump has gotten away with, be it Mueller, or Impeachment, or whatever the fuck.

(And no, Trumpy People, I don't care about Strzok's private texts.)

demonrail666 10.10.2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser
Right so, I'm from N.Ireland. Sinn Fein were championing LGBT equality. Sinn Fein's slogan in the last election was 'Equality, rights' Sinn Fein arn't exactly an establishment party, they're very much a party in the working class in what ..more than half of the north? People in my home town were resonated by this message (bullshit or not).

We can all point to exceptions but you'll have a hard time convincing me that traditional working class areas (at least those outside of major cities) aren't on the whole feeling alienated by what they perceive as an increasingly Woke agenda taking hold of traditional Left wing and centrist parties.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser
Again it reminds me of Brendan O'Neill or Spiked, moaning about all of this shit...who cares?! That prick has the luxury to go on every major media outlet and could actually talk about having the most corrupt UK government (which effects everyone), the most inept government (which effects everyone) and so on...but nope complaining about 'tranny' issues is his priority

I tend to agree, and I say that as someone who was for a while quite on board with a lot of what Spiked was doing. I continue to endorse them calling out the SJW stuff in terms of what it's doing to the Left, but that's no reason for them to turn a blind eye to the incompetences of the Tories right now (especially when they're becoming infected with the Woke virus themselves). But if you're talking about alternative Left wing media, the only other one I can think of that has an equivalent impact is Novara Media, which epitomises everything that I hate about this current identity-politics obsessed Left, so I'm still much more likely to follow Spiked than I am anything else, albeit with nowhere near the same enthusiasm that I used to.

Skuj 10.10.2020 04:46 PM

But her emails!!

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...eleased-before

So, are some of you folks voting for Hillary this time around?

tw2113 10.10.2020 04:49 PM

Who?

Skuj 10.10.2020 04:51 PM

Precisely.

demonrail666 10.10.2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
joining their propaganda campaign

Given that I can effectively boil my position down to, "Trump: Slightly Less Awful than the Alternative", I wouldn't say I have much to contribute to a propaganda campaign.

Skuj 10.10.2020 06:17 PM

"Trump: Slightly Less Awful than the Alternative."

Wow.

Biden is far from perfect. He wasn't my first choice for Dems. But in what Universe is he more awful than Trump?

(I can't keep track of who the Trumpy People are here anymore.)

demonrail666 10.10.2020 06:21 PM

Biden? Who mentioned Biden? We all know he's just a trojan horse for Kamala Harris.

!@#$%! 10.10.2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

"Trump: Slightly Less Awful than the Alternative",

i can’t even...

Skuj 10.10.2020 06:32 PM

Quote:

Biden? Who mentioned Biden? We all know he's just a trojan horse for Kamala Harris.

Ok. I'll bite. I'm willing to go down this road, for just a few minutes more.

In what Universe is Harris more awful than Trump? List 3 things about her that justifies such an outlook.

Skuj 10.10.2020 06:50 PM

(It's not because she is black, is it? I can't remember who I am talking to anymore.)

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2020 08:02 PM

Quote:

now when i think of west ham all i think is of this...

Now when I think of West Ham is I'm glad Pellegrini's not there anymore. :D

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2020 08:03 PM

Quote:

i can’t even...

I know. :(

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
(It's not because she is black, is it? I can't remember who I am talking to anymore.)

It's Fox News' line, verbatim. Others in the same alternative facts sphere (Michelle Bachmann and this board's own putrefied BP, to name just two) have said or strongly insinuated Biden is a Trojan horse for Black Marxism (whatever the fuck that is). So there.

Skuj 10.10.2020 08:29 PM

It is my opinion that the real reason many people went insane when Obama was POTUS is....well.....because he was black. They won't admit this, of course.

And now.....a black woman!!

This message board is just going to keep getting worse, isn't it?

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2020 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
It is my opinion that the real reason many people went insane when Obama was POTUS is....well.....because he was black. They won't admit this, of course.

And now.....a black woman!!

This message board is just going to keep getting worse, isn't it?

Sorry, but once your gifs go Bundy, you can't go back. Kinda like when you go Barack (hopefully! :D).

The Soup Nazi 10.10.2020 09:39 PM

A "very stable genius" who's also a "perfect physical specimen" who's also now critical of his very own William fucking Barr? I'm in luv! From The Washington Post:

Quote:

Trump on drugs. Who could have seen this coming?

Opinion by David Von Drehle
Columnist
Oct. 10, 2020 at 8:11 p.m. GMT-3

President Trump on drugs. Wow. I have to admit that I failed to see this one coming. Trump’s political career has been such a wild ride all by itself, it never occurred to me to wonder what would happen if this grandiose narcissist with the bombastic flair were to be filled to the gills with a powerful steroid. Just as I never looked at Usain Bolt, the great Jamaican sprinter, and mused: What would he be like on a rocket sled?

Trump’s treatment for covid-19 has been largely cloaked in secrecy, but among the little we do know is that his doctors basically opened the medicine cabinet and dumped a little of everything into their patient. The treatments have run the gamut from A to Z — literally: antivirals to zinc. They’ve lowered Trump’s temperature and raised his blood-oxygen level, while chemically tweaking him from sinuses to stomach.

Even after the president returned to the White House from the hospital, his docs continued to pump in dexamethasone, a steroid normally given to covid-19 patients struggling for life on a ventilator. Its purpose is to tamp down an overly intense immune reaction known as a cytokine storm but, in this case, it may be ramping up the chaos known as Donald Trump.

Who could have seen this coming? The Mayo Clinic, for one. Among the side effects listed for this powerful drug on the Mayo website are “agitation,” “anxiety,” “irritability,” “mood changes,” “nervousness” and — perhaps most apt — “trouble thinking.” Although we cannot know for sure what role this or other drugs are playing, that list maps the emotional and cognitive roller coaster that America’s leader has been riding since he choppered home from Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, his face pale behind a mask of uneven orange makeup. The sight of Trump lumbering up the steps to the South Portico to salute the night sky while swaying slightly was the most operatically ridiculous scene since Looney Tunes rendered Wagner, starring Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd.

Even by Trumpian standards, the president has been erratic. Shortly after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome H. Powell warned of an urgent need to re-stimulate the economy, the president abruptly called off further talks on a stimulus package until after the election. When the stock market swooned, he reversed himself, calling for targeted spending, then reversed himself again to endorse a sprawling $2.5 trillion proposal.

As a 74-year-old man convalescing from a life-threatening disease, the president ought to have been resting and recuperating. Instead, he roamed the grounds of the executive mansion, grasping at straws to revive his free-falling campaign. Polls show that the bottom has dropped out of his support among seniors, so Trump stood on the South Lawn and spoke into a camera. “To my favorite people in the world, the seniors,” he intoned. “I’m a senior. I know you don’t know that. Nobody knows that. Maybe you don’t have to tell them. But I’m a senior.”

In another mood, the president revealed by phone to a television host that covid-19 had made him feel “pretty lousy,” but now: “I’m back because I’m a perfect physical specimen and I’m extremely young.”

Young. Old. No stimulus. Huge stimulus. One thing about which the president remained certain was the urgent need for the Justice Department to jail his political opponents — including the Democratic nominee, former vice president Joe Biden, and former president Barack Obama.

Attorney General William P. Barr probably thought that by sacrificing his reputation to become a slavering toady, he would remain safely in Trump’s good graces. Once again dialing in to Fox News, Trump turned on Barr, telling Sean Hannity — between pauses to cough and gag — that he has lost patience with the attorney general’s niggling insistence on actual evidence before slapping cuffs on Biden and Obama. Trump also blasted over his Twitter feed a doctored photo of the late comedian Chris Farley in vein-popping character, screaming at Barr: “for the love of God ARREST SOMEBODY.”

The perfect physical specimen announced that he would undergo a “medical evaluation” Friday that turned out to be more softballs from Fox News. This exercise in opacity was of a piece with the nondisclosure agreements Trump reportedly demanded of every doctor who saw him during his November 2019 dash to Walter Reed, the details of which remain nondisclosed. Trump then staged another of his potential superspreader rallies Saturday on the South Lawn. A person would have to be tripping to think that more of the same would somehow turn this fiasco around.

But rest easy, America: This isn’t the first time an addled chief executive has melted down. Back in 1974, during his final days as president, Richard M. Nixon, loopy on Scotch, rambled around the White House having one-way conversations with the portraits. It’s the unfortunate nature of our high-tech existence that nothing happens in private anymore. Whether this is ’roid rage or simply the wheels coming off, President Trump is live-streaming it.