Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

Peterpuff 07.16.2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairs missing
I think this guy gets it.

I love you.

And I agree. He gets it more than any of us...

!@#$%! 07.16.2019 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
The Dems seem to be devolving into an activist movement and those are fine but I'm not sure I'd want to trust one with a nation's security or economy.

got this from bloomberg's email newsletter a moment ago:

Donald Trump is targeting China again. The president reiterated his threat of more tariffs on Chinese goods, after promising to hold off on additional duties in a trade-war truce he reached with Xi Jinping last month. He asserted that China is supposed to buy more farm products; a pledge Beijing hasn't confirmed or fulfilled. Shares fell from a record high.

==

i don't know how you can trust this senile rollercoaster who rules by caprice

yes yes, i would like a moderate. but trump is an extremist in his own right.

so, again, mote vs beam.

!@#$%! 07.16.2019 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
I think this guy gets it... /wink

(I agree with what this person has said, in this one specifically quoted segment, and stand by it. I think it is well put. This does not mean I am looking to align myself whole-heartedly with this person and their belief system completely, but with this specific statement.)

I think this guy gets it, too!

Absolute fair-play, my friend. That was a pretty poorly thought out preface leading into that comment I made, eh? Touché :)

so again not sure if you've kept up but ive argued everywhere here for centrist policies and free markets and the risk of democrats losing by going too far left. i support pragmatist pelosi over the progressive insurgents, etc.

HOWEVER... apples to apples!

trump is a fucking lunatic and not a centrist. and he's peddling racial hate in order to cling to power.

telling brown americans to go back where they came from? jeezus fucking christ. that gives free license to every white supremacist asshole out there to do the same, and to feel vindicated in their fucked up beliefs.

here's republican george conway, husband of kellyanne, explaining it for you
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...5d5_story.html

this type of presidential behavior to me is more dangerous than a push for government takeover of the health system that could never happen, because congress and the courts would put a stop to it. (i'm for the public option actually-- do not want gubmint monopoly)

so, even though i don't agree with someone like bernie, i'd rather have his type of activism over the fascist bastard who has idiots like bytor goose-stepping in sync with him.

we already have an activist in the white house. and he's agitating for all the wrong ideas.

ilduclo 07.17.2019 09:35 AM

The Smithsonian is trying to acquire migrant children’s detention facility drawings for the National Museum of American History.

https://www.insider.com/smithsonian-...rawings-2019-7

“...show what’s on the end of the long newspaper spoon...”

ilduclo 07.18.2019 10:42 AM

Pantaleo gets no prosecution for the illegal chokehold death of Eric Garner

this guy did the deed:

Rob Instigator 07.18.2019 02:25 PM

again, Deporting criminals who are here without papers is all well and good.

Rounding up asylum seekers and placing them in concentration camps and sequestering their children? That shit was NOT done under Obama so stop your bullshit.

ilduclo 07.18.2019 02:49 PM

"The Dems seem to be devolving into an activist movement and those are fine but I'm not sure I'd want to trust one with a nation's security or economy."

what alternative history have you been reading?

Democrats have kept us out of wars and in better economies since, like, forever

demonrail666 07.18.2019 03:41 PM

That's why I said devolving. Although maybe I should've just said they're turning into an activist movement. Either way.

!@#$%! 07.18.2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

That's why I said devolving. Although maybe I should've just said they're turning into an activist movement. Either way.

so the tea party = not activist
the religious right = not activist
the magas = not activists
the science deniers = not activists
the nra = not activists
the neocons = not activists
the kochs = not activists
the grover norquists wanting to strangle the federal government in a bathtub = not activists
the mandatory breeders of alabammy et al = not activists
the tiki torch neonazis = not activists
gay conversion therapy = not activist

all good rational centrist common-sense governance coming from the repukes. it’s the democrats that are extreme! oh yes, i see what you mean. man why have i been so blind. my eyes are open now, thank you. i see the light! hallelujah... from fallujah (gog, magog, whatever...)

NOTHING TO SEE HERE

THESE ARE NOT, I REPEAT, THESE ARE NOT ACTIVISTS
YOUR LYING EYES DECEIVE YOU

there are some very fine people there... somewhere... :rolleyes:

demonrail666 07.19.2019 02:31 AM

And you accuse me of whataboutism?

Yes, there are activist groups welded to Trumps presidency and he evidently sends dog-whistles to some of them while openly supporting others. But I've said continually, Trump is not a good president, I'm not a supporter, even if I prefer him to what I see of the Democrat Party right now.

But ultimately while US politics obviously affect more than just the US I don't see the outcome of this election making a huge difference to my life, and can't do anything about it if it did. My main interest in all of this right now is watching the battle unfold between Pelosi and 'The Squad' and how Trump seems to be playing both of them. But this is your fight, not mine. I hope you all get the president/party you want cos, at the end of the day, you're the ones who are gonna have to live with the outcome on a day-to-day basis, not me. And it's hardly like Britain isn't currently embroiled in its own political shit-show, which does directly impact on my day-to-day life.

Bytor Peltor 07.19.2019 05:27 AM

If you are traveling by land, the United States wants to see where you applied for Asylum at the first country you passed through. If you were denied, deported or unable to complete the process, the United States will “try” and work with you. I say “try” due to the 900,000 caseload currently clogging up the court system.

Applying at the fist border possible starts their paperwork into the system for those truly seeking Asylum, instead of the majority who are economic migrants trying to reach the United States for a better life.

Asylum = fleeing persecution and torture!

Yet the ACLU is suing because it violates the United States “morals?” Please remember, the ACLU didn’t say crap when then President Obama said (on many occasions)......”an economic claim of a migrant DOES NOT qualify for Asylum!”

The UN High Commissioner for Refugees: “the UN is ready to play a constructive roll in helping to alleviate the strain on the United States.”

The UN needs to speak with Mexico and Guatemala about only allowing legitimate asylum seekers to pass through.

.There are three United Nations Conventions that deal with Asylum/refugees, the latest being 1967 “any member State shall retain the right pursuant to its National Laws to send an Asylum seeker to a third Country in accordance to the Geneva Convention.”

I don’t understand why so many think it’s wrong for President Trump to follow international law?

ilduclo 07.19.2019 07:09 AM

Republan BS :

“ How dare you call me a racist, sir? I am cut to the quick by such an epithet! Why, that, sir, is the worst thing you can call a human being!"

Meanwhile they call women getting basic medical care 'murderers'.

!@#$%! 07.19.2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

And you accuse me of whataboutism?

yes! precisely! you’re nitpicking democratic shortcomings and looking the other way when it comes to consistent republican atrocities.

i know democrats have their problems, but republicans are much worse, and their extremes more extreme, no contest.

Quote:

Yes, there are activist groups welded to Trumps presidency and he evidently sends dog-whistles to some of them while openly supporting others.

it’s not marginal. that is the essence of what he’s about. that is the very core of his “movement”. make america white again. all other issues are just opportunistic add-ons to it. perhaps the further agenda is to make himself and his pals rich, but ideologically, that’s the core. that is the culture and society he promotes.

Quote:

But I've said continually, Trump is not a good president, I'm not a supporter, even if I prefer him to what I see of the Democrat Party right now.

what are those great crimes? i get what headlines you might be getting, but if you look at the reality, where is the big threat? really. kindly explain. “a weird vibe” from kamala or that warren sounds like a cranky grandma is not a real danger is it? seriously. what’s the worst that could happen? that we end up with a national health service like yours? i thought you defended your nhs passionately last we debated that one.

Quote:

But ultimately while US politics obviously affect more than just the US I don't see the outcome of this election making a huge difference to my life, and can't do anything about it if it did. My main interest in all of this right now is watching the battle unfold between Pelosi and 'The Squad' and how Trump seems to be playing both of them. But this is your fight, not mine. I hope you all get the president/party you want cos, at the end of the day, you're the ones who are gonna have to live with the outcome on a day-to-day basis, not me. And it's hardly like Britain isn't currently embroiled in its own political shit-show, which does directly impact on my day-to-day life.

i dont know man. if nukes fly, it’s gonna be over everyone’s heads.

demonrail666 07.19.2019 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
what are those great crimes?

Who said anything about crimes? I have a passing interest in the election and pick up headlines here and there but I treat the whole thing as no more than a distraction from what's happening in Britain. I watched those debates last month and didn't think much of what I saw, and I have a kind of morbid fascination with AOC, Omar, et al, and I evidently don't view Trump as terribly as most people here seem to. But that's about it.There are obviously details and nuances to what's going on that I have no idea about or, if I'm honest, all that interested in.

!@#$%! 07.19.2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Who said anything about crimes?

i did

metaphorically, but still...

i meant it as “how are democrats anywhere nearly as horrible as the republicans?”

those people are more extreme than your tories...

Quote:

I have a passing interest in the election and pick up headlines here and there but I treat the whole thing as no more than a distraction from what's happening in Britain.

but trump is offering you a free trade deal after brexit! THE GREATEST! or so he says lolololol

Quote:

I watched those debates last month and didn't think much of what I saw,

that was just faces and soundbytes. there is a lot more than faces and soundbytes to those people, and there’s also a whole political party behind them

Quote:

and I have a kind of morbid fascination with AOC, Omar, et al,

not sure why, but still, you know they’re not the mainstream of the democratic party, right?

Quote:

and I evidently don't view Trump as terribly as most people here seem to.

again not sure why—but not asking for an explanation, just noting that it’s a bit unusual

Quote:

But that's about it.There are obviously details and nuances to what's going on that I have no idea about or, if I'm honest, all that interested in.

nothing nuanced about trump’s clown act. it’s so clear it can be seen from the moon at this point.

!@#$%! 07.19.2019 09:39 PM

and here’s another

Padma Lakshmi: Millions of Americans like me and Ilhan Omar are right where we belong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...b05_story.html

Derek 07.19.2019 10:09 PM

Gallup poll showing Bernie as the most liked politician in the nation (polls have actually shown that for the past 3 years). He also always comes out on top when it comes to match up polls against Trump. If all you guys care about is getting out Trump then Bernie can do it!!

choc e-Claire 07.19.2019 11:02 PM

We live in a world where the President of the United States is starting official statements with "My good friend Kanye West".

_tunic_ 07.20.2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek

if you're a presidential candidate and over 40% of the population have no opinion about you, it's time to fire your campaign staff!

Amy, I don't know who you are and I can't pronounce your last name, but 57% ? Jesus, do something useful with your money, buy a yacht, or a McDonald's, whatever

edit: oh my god, one look at her page and I don't even want to look further. She has a scary smile

ilduclo 07.20.2019 07:49 AM

Sanders history. Touts sex for adolescents and spent his honeymoon in the USSR. Yeah, he’s electable....