Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Vinyl Heads! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=86871)

EVOLghost 01.23.2013 11:25 AM

Vinyl Heads!

Here's a picture of a record I wish to purchase(washing machine), but there's this smudge(which I think is why it's at an affordable price). I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this looks like something which can be cleaned off or is it something which forever ruined the vinyl and therefor is NOT worth buying. I just want to see if anyone can help. I don't think I'll be making the purchase...(unless it IS something which can be taken care of easily).

Rob Instigator 01.23.2013 11:42 AM

That should be able to wash off. smudges, and dirt can be removed. what sucks are scratches.

that smudge looks like mold..

tesla69 01.23.2013 11:54 AM

Is that a smudge or some fine surface wear? sometimes my mail order shows up with these smudges typically after the sender removes the record from the sleeve, supposedly it helps but I don't see it. Usually doesn't effect play but it doesn't make me happy.

tesla69 01.23.2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
After Hurricane Rita in 2005, I was forced to eventually discard some vinyl. They too had mold that I couldn't find a way to remove......not all mold is the same!

Were your rekkids in plastic?

keep poppin pimples 01.23.2013 08:25 PM

man email the seller and tell him to wash the record and post a new picture. it looks like a good part of the smudge is on the intro groove so it might only be a bit surface noise for a few turns

EVOLghost 01.24.2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
man email the seller and tell him to wash the record and post a new picture. it looks like a good part of the smudge is on the intro groove so it might only be a bit surface noise for a few turns

The seller had told me he is afraid to do it himself because he doesn't want to ruin the LP. I had to e-mail him for the picture because he didn't have one posted.

EVOLghost 01.24.2013 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples

The seller had told me he is afraid to do it himself because he doesn't want to ruin the LP. I had to e-mail him for the picture because he didn't have one posted.

EVOLghost 01.24.2013 12:14 PM

Yeah...still kind of waiting on a response from el Salvaje...

I really am hoping it's something that can be cleaned/washed off....

EVOLghost 01.24.2013 03:42 PM

WELL I GUESS WE CAN JUST FORGET ABOOT IT.

Someone already picked it up :/

I hope it wasn't any of you sneeky fucks.

dale_gribble 01.25.2013 02:40 AM

^it was me, i plan on shattering it with a sledgehammer...that should get the smudge off.

keep poppin pimples 01.25.2013 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
WELL I GUESS WE CAN JUST FORGET ABOOT IT.

Someone already picked it up :/

I hope it wasn't any of you sneeky fucks.

don't sweat it. there's other copies and that mold may ruin the house of whoever sniped it

Rob Instigator 01.25.2013 02:08 PM

I am gonna go buy records this weekend!!!!!!! YAY! First time in over 8 months.

My wife and I have been pretty fucking broke, what with me being jobless for almost 2 years and shit. I have been employed for 4 months now, and my bro gave me a $50 gift card to cactus Records here in Houston motherfucking texass. cannot wait!

Savage Clone 02.11.2013 01:44 PM

Just saw this, sorry.
Yeah, that is probably mold. The cover may be in bad shape or smell weird, but if you get it cleaned on a Nitty Gritty or a VPI (stores will usually do this for one dollar), it will in all likelihood play fine.

EVOLghost 02.11.2013 01:50 PM

Hmm the repl might've been too late, butt the info provided is still valued as it may help for future purchases. Still...thanks for the reply savage.(better than no reply :p )