Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Music that induces sleep. Suggestions? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14721)

nicfit 07.13.2007 04:34 AM

Music that induces sleep. Suggestions?

So, apparently my brain/body forgot how to properly sleep.
Do you have any suggestions on music that induces sleep?
Not just quiet music that won't prevent you from sleeping, like a sort of background music, but some tracks/artist that make you fall asleep (not for boredom) when you listen to them? It's kind of a strange question, I know, but I wanted to read your ideas on this matter.

terminal pharmacy 07.13.2007 04:40 AM

the necks - aether
steve reich - drumming
gustav holst - the planets
eric dolphy -out to lunch

sonicl 07.13.2007 04:40 AM

DJ Olive has made two CDs specifically for that purpose, called Buoy and Sleep, released on Room 40.

There's also a compilation called Melatonin, also on Room 40.

_slavo_ 07.13.2007 04:45 AM

Ummm....Stars of The Lid?

sonicl 07.13.2007 05:00 AM

And the compilation Goodnight: Music to Sleep By on Tigerbeat 6

nicfit 07.13.2007 05:03 AM

You guys are "assuming" theese could work or you have personal experience?

_slavo_ 07.13.2007 05:04 AM

I have this CD by Stars of The Lid at home called "Per Aspera Ad Astra" that makes me pass out whenever I listen to it.

terminal pharmacy 07.13.2007 05:04 AM

mine all experience no assumption c'monnnnnnnn

nicfit 07.13.2007 05:07 AM

yeah, actually my question was addressed mainly to sonicl (not in an "aggressive" tone at all) becuz he listed cds done with that purpose in mind. I was curious to know if they worked for someone.

A Thousand Threads 07.13.2007 05:08 AM

I had a time when it only was possible for me to fall asleep listening to Vibracathedral Orchestra - Arab Chord Chart.

But that doesn't work anymore.
Nowadays i usually watch televison, some documentation channel or something. It's unhealthy and stupid, i know
but it works.

nicfit 07.13.2007 05:11 AM

OH, and thanks for the suggestions!

nicfit 07.13.2007 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Thousand Threads
I had a time when it only was possible for me to fall asleep listening to Vibracathedral Orchestra - Arab Chord Chart.

But that doesn't work anymore.
Nowadays i usually watch televison, some documentation channel or something. It's unhealthy and stupid, i know
but it works.

I'm in a similar situation, it happens like once every 2/3 years. LAtely I watch tv too, but since I hate tv I mainly end up watching movies, but I enjoy them and even if I'm tired I keep on watching till the end. Heh. Bad move. Last night I saw three movies in a row. which is kind of "cool" (as long as the movies are good), but definitely does not help sleeping in my case...

sonicl 07.13.2007 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
yeah, actually my question was addressed mainly to sonicl (not in an "aggressive" tone at all) becuz he listed cds done with that purpose in mind. I was curious to know if they worked for someone.

Well I've never heard any of them right through to the end!

The compilations are quite hard to find by the way.

nicfit 07.13.2007 05:22 AM

Considering it's a quite an "impellent" need, I think I'll "snatch" some of those records off emule or something, then buy them if they works (or simply if I like them enough :) ).

jon boy 07.13.2007 05:40 AM

papa m always makes me nod off and keith fullerton whittman too.

i have certain songs/records that i always put on when i want to sleep, works almost everytime.

_slavo_ 07.13.2007 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I'm in a similar situation, it happens like once every 2/3 years. LAtely I watch tv too, but since I hate tv I mainly end up watching movies, but I enjoy them and even if I'm tired I keep on watching till the end. Heh. Bad move. Last night I saw three movies in a row. which is kind of "cool" (as long as the movies are good), but definitely does not help sleeping in my case...

Why don't you just drink one-two beers or, better, go out for a jog for half an hour to make you a bit more tired?

_slavo_ 07.13.2007 08:12 AM

I've almost forgotten - "Soil" by Terre Thaemlitz is a near-perfect album to make you slumber.

nicfit 07.13.2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Why don't you just drink one-two beers or, better, go out for a jog for half an hour to make you a bit more tired?

I don't like drinking alone and that has nothing to do with tireness, sadly, even after an entire day of walking/ weights lifting and other fatiguing things semms like I jsut can't go to bed and sleep. It's annoying. Thanks again for the suggestions.

sarramkrop 07.13.2007 08:29 AM

http://www.ethereaonline.com/products_showmedia.asp?fName=LgPicture&ProductID=3 48

Also:

Tele:Funken - A Collection of Ice-Cream Vans vol. 2

nicfit 07.13.2007 08:34 AM

thanks pork. Those "soothing sound" will work even if I'm 312 months old?
(p.s. did you listen to that italian song...?)