Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Tips for making a mix tape. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11196)

Sonic Youth 37 03.10.2007 11:19 PM

Tips for making a mix tape.

I'm about to make one for a very good friend of mine that I had lost contact with over the past few years, but now has re-entered my life. So, she suggested that we make a mix tape of stuff. I have never actually made a mix tape and I was wanting some pointers. I know that mix tapes has a very personal quality to them, so I wanted to do it right.

Tentative Side A track list

1. Dirty Boots-SY
2. Teen Age Riot-SY
3. Violent Life-Blonde Redhead
4. The Sprawl-SY
5. Head On-The JaMC
6. Cigarette In Your Bed-MBV
7. Transmission-Joy Division
8. Soon-MBV

I've got "Hey" by Pixies to start about Side B so far.

I'm not trying to make one that's full of stuff she's never heard, I'm just trying to make one that represents me and has a nice flow to it.

Thanks in advance for all yr help/advice/comments/criticisms/muses/random thoughts/jabbering

terminal pharmacy 03.11.2007 01:59 AM

if you are trying to make one that represents you then you need to represent yourself to him / her through what you put on the tape

Toilet & Bowels 03.11.2007 07:28 AM

generally speaking puting more than one track by the same band is a bit lazy in my opinion

gmku 03.11.2007 11:33 AM

We're talking about a mix tape, not a scientific journal article. There are no rules. Do what you like, even (gasp) including more than one track by the same band!

It's all up to you.

Toilet & Bowels 03.11.2007 02:29 PM

obviously there are no rules, but if the person isn't that into sonic youth then the mixtape isn't going to be a hit. when you make a mix one should think more about the person who will have to listen to it, than just ramming in a bunch of your favourite songs regardless.

fluxequalsrad 03.11.2007 02:52 PM

1. 12RODS - Red (from Split Personalities LP)
2. Pavement - Rattled by the Rush
3. Grandaddy - Hewlett's Daughter
4. Smashing Pumpkins - Hummer
5. Yo La Tengo - Summer
6. HUM - Aphids
7. Sonic Youth - Winner's Blues
8. Pavement - Pueblo (beach boys)
9. Animal Collective - Visiting Friends
10. 12RODS - Summertime Vertigo
11. Chavez - Top Pocket Man
12. Mogwai - R U still into it
13. Walt Mink - Sunshine M.
14. Pavement - Grounded

Your friend will love you for ever.

gmku 03.11.2007 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
obviously there are no rules, but if the person isn't that into sonic youth then the mixtape isn't going to be a hit. when you make a mix one should think more about the person who will have to listen to it, than just ramming in a bunch of your favourite songs regardless.

Depends, I guess... On how well you know your recipient, and on your purpose. Is your purpose to ensure 100% satisfaction on the receiving end? Or maybe you want to challenge the listener a little? Or a lot? Or maybe you want to show him/her what listening frame of mind you're in (and in that case, you should defiinitely NOT self-edit but just let it flow with whatever you feel like putting on). If it's from the heart, as in Sonic Youth 37's case, shouldn't he just include whatever strikes him as feeling right--I would think he was too concerned with making it "right," it might lose something. Hell, there's enough manufactured songlists on classic rock radio, if that's what you want. Sometimes I think it would be most appropriate just to jam a bunch of favorite songs regardless. I mean, why not? It's your tape. But again, depends on your intent.

Sonic Youth 37 03.11.2007 04:05 PM

She is a SY fan, so that's not a problem. I didn't just put 3 tracks by SY because I'm lazy, I liked the way those songs flowed together.

And I am using a 90 minute tape.

And I've got no shortage of songs, upwards of 200 bands to choose from, so variety will be assured if that's what I'm after.

screamingskull 03.11.2007 04:09 PM

i'm in the middle of making two at the moment. One thats a mix of everything, i pick a new song everyday and put it on there that way i get a good mix, and one thats completely abstract sonic youth so some SYR stuff and some Made In USA stuff mixed, it sounds great so far.
A good front cover is important, the cover is the first thing they see and it sets the tone for what should be on the tape.

Onani Nic 03.11.2007 04:54 PM

I'd put Slayer or Motorhead on the tape somewhere so she thinks you're a tough dude who can handle his own.

Cardinal Rob 03.11.2007 06:42 PM

Do you know of certain bands/songs of which you have a mutual liking? It always helps to add the more 'popular'/'accessible' songs after every four that would just be of your taste as to prevent any possible loss of attention. You could end up with something that's just being taken out of the player by the end of the third song, or skipped to near the end as the rest failed to phase her, which is where bad compilations can lose out.

Toilet & Bowels 03.11.2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
She is a SY fan, so that's not a problem.

well in that case you might already be giving her stuff she already has.

Toilet & Bowels 03.11.2007 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
Sometimes I think it would be most appropriate just to jam a bunch of favorite songs regardless. I mean, why not? It's your tape.

i don't agree, it's her tape, but sonic youth 37 is making it.

anyway, it's not really inportant.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 03.11.2007 07:33 PM

In your case I'd make a "fun" mix. Shit you can kick back too or listen to on a long drive. Also Id go with some kind of theme.

Danny Himself 03.11.2007 07:39 PM

You should definitely stick 'Flux = Rad' by Pavement on the the tape somewhere..

Sonic Youth 37 03.11.2007 08:13 PM

I've basically picked songs that fit together nicely, ie-fade outs followed by fade ins, feedback outs followed by feedbacks ins, so it's as seemless as possible without being too much like a single artist album.

I'm really making it to my tastes as her's is pretty much spot on the same as mine. And we've traded albums for years now, but we just decided a few days ago to try a mix tape.

Sonic Youth 37 03.11.2007 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Sounds like your taking care of all the important things. To truly enjoy the fade in / out aspect of tape making, you need to be using a mixer. Using a mixer allows you to eliminate the silence between tracks......which maximizes your fade in / out considerations.

I've thought about doing that with Audacity, but as this is my first tape, I'm just going to stick to the simple basics and I'll get more experimental with future editions.

atsonicpark 03.11.2007 08:29 PM

Every mix tape I've ever made has built to spill - car on it and pavement - zurich is stained ... odd.

StevOK 03.12.2007 12:17 AM

if you're actually using an analogue tape, I suggest also including your own voice, just talking about stuff. I think that would be really neat. But I switched to mix cds years ago.

gmku 03.12.2007 12:50 PM

Sometimes I like to make a mixtape of all dissimilar songs--each one as different from the one before it as possible.