Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I just bought a casette tape player (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41421)

_slavo_ 09.21.2010 03:49 AM

I just bought a casette tape player

and a bunch of tapes from Digitalis Limited.

Tapes rule!

atsonicpark 09.21.2010 04:05 AM

Yeah, tapes are the best. I love listening to the tape player in my car while on a long drive. I still make mix tapes quite often.

ann ashtray 09.21.2010 04:15 AM

Making mix tapes is only fun, I personally think they are one of the most personal gifts you can make for someone else. I mean, you must actually listen to each song as it's being recorded, which require a lot of thought.

atsonicpark 09.21.2010 04:47 AM

My favorite thing to put on tapes is classical music, and modern classical like Harry Partch. Hearing this (typically) really clean, well-produced sound... somewhat degraded... sounds cool. Obviously, drone and ambient works perfectly for tape, I'd say 3/4ths of Robe.'s albums are on tape for this very reason, we specifically produced albums with the wobbly horns and tape hiss in mind.

Derek 09.21.2010 05:06 AM

I've been listening to my Pine Smoke Lodge tapes a lot recently.

Count Mecha 09.21.2010 05:09 AM

I want to make mixtapes for people, but none of them own tape players, can't even lend them vhs tapes, none of them have vcrs!

I love the tape player in my car.

pbradley 09.21.2010 05:17 AM

I'm going to buy one of the new iPods.

atsonicpark 09.21.2010 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
I've been listening to my Pine Smoke Lodge tapes a lot recently.

Derek, I didn't want to correct you over on Fangs, but I noticed you called an SCG album "dawn of the devil" 4 times. The album is called dawn of the devi...

EVOLghost 09.21.2010 07:38 AM

my cassette play in my car won't work. the cassette will go in, but no sound will come out. It just clicks. and man does it suck.

akprodr 09.21.2010 07:58 AM

Ya know, you can make mix cds as well...

_slavo_ 09.21.2010 08:10 AM

yes, adam is true, drone is perfect for tapes. that's why i'm giving Digitalis Ltd. a try, looks like there's plenty of gems there that I don't know of.
Plus, a tape is small, you can fit nice artwork into it, and it feels way more personal than CDs or even vinyls.

atsonicpark 09.21.2010 08:30 AM

I really should send you a tape sometime slavo. My schedule just never aligns with the hours of the post office around here (since I work 3rd shift and all, and am way too tired to go by there after work and it closes way before I go to work).

But yeah, I much prefer tapes to cd's. I am not really into vinyl (gasp! Shock!) -- I mainly listen to music in a car, so...

_slavo_ 09.21.2010 08:49 AM

you really should make me a mix tape, that might be more than awesome.
or, send me a Robe. tape, that'd rock even more.

atsonicpark 09.21.2010 09:00 AM

I would send you some Robe. tapes, but I don't have any.The other guy in the band keeps them all... but, on the plus side, he sends out tons of free stuff, all the time, and he goes to the post office many times a week.

But anyway, I'll see what I can do, when I get some time, I'd love to send to... Россия.

akprodr 09.21.2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

Plus, a tape is small, you can fit nice artwork into it, and it feels way more personal than CDs or even vinyls.

One year I made mix CDs for christmas presents. I used printable CDs with the mirror finish and printed a processed sunset on 'em. I thought they looked friggin' cool. I put them in DVD cases and printed up a list of the songs and a brief description of why I picked 'em.

ann ashtray 09.21.2010 09:28 AM

Bytor Peltor makes the absolute best mixtapes.

knox 09.21.2010 09:45 AM

YES, I love tapes.

_slavo_ 09.21.2010 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor

PM me your address _Slavo_ and I will send you a mixtape.

PM sent. Thanks a lot !!!

_slavo_ 09.21.2010 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
But anyway, I'll see what I can do, when I get some time, I'd love to send to... Россия.

Bratislava, the kingdom of cheap beer and beautiful girls.

I'll send you a PM asap.

jon boy 09.21.2010 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
and a bunch of tapes from Digitalis Limited.

Tapes rule!

what took you so long? tapes are fantastic and have a quality that's very unique, i have thousands of tapes some of them dating back to when i was 12.