Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Freenoise tour UK (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9942)

Iain 01.18.2007 02:23 PM

Freenoise tour UK

In April/May the following people will be touring the UK and playing together in a big noise/improv freeforall type thing:

Free Noise with Evan Parker / Chris Corsano / Yellow Swans / John Wiese / C. Spencer Yeh / Metalux / John Edwards / Culver

Don't know which cities they will be visiting but I imagine London plus others.

porkmarras 01.18.2007 02:26 PM

I've seen that announced or mentioned somewhere on da net.Evan Parker!John Edwards!Yeah!

racehorse 01.18.2007 02:33 PM

wow, this should be spectacular.

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.18.2007 02:34 PM

i should move to the uk. :o

Glice 01.18.2007 04:09 PM

Hmm. Let's hope they do a weekend London date or come somewhere near me.

porkmarras 01.18.2007 04:18 PM

Similar to the line up last autumn.I'm being really relaxed about seeing people live at the moment as all those i love seeing live(namely Corsano,Nurse With Wound and if miracles happen Diamanda Galas will come) are all touring.Not sure about the Galas bit,though.I want future generations of children to see John Edwards live.Incredible.

PAULYBEE2656 01.18.2007 04:18 PM

no chance of that making the cheap fare fastferry crossing to ireland i dare say!!!!

Iain 01.18.2007 04:28 PM

Well, that date range suggests there could be 9 seperate dates if they don't have a night off anywhere. There will be one in London I'm sure and also one in Scotland I'd bet. There is going to be a Cardiff date as well so one of the remining 6 dates could be in Ireland perhaps. Of course that's all speculation.

Iain 02.14.2007 10:54 AM

Update:

Alas, Chris Corsano is not going to be appearing on this tour I have been informed. Also, he's cutting the Flower/Corsano tour short I think although I don't know that for sure. The reason: He's going to be touring with Bjork!

In his place is percussionist Paul Hession. I don't know much about him but he's played with people like Lol Coxhill, Stefan Jaworzyn, Rhodri Davies and others. In a way I think this might be more interesting. It will be nice to see someone I know little about, I've seen Corsano play about 6 or 7 times in various set ups. Although he's always been excellent and I was looking forward to seeing him again something new is welcome.

jon boy 02.14.2007 10:56 AM

corsano and mick flower are on tour currently. playing all over the uk.

Iain 02.14.2007 11:01 AM

Yes, I was told Corsano might be pulling some of the later dates but that doesn't seem to be the case judging by his myspace. I have it on pretty good authority he won't be playing the freenoise thing though.

Toilet & Bowels 02.14.2007 11:01 AM

indeed, i bought their 7" on saturday (it's fantastic) and i'm seeing them tomorrow night.

so does this mean corsano has sold out?

Iain 02.14.2007 11:12 AM

Urgh, I was going to get their 7" but I got the Volcano the Bear and Sir Richard Bishop ones instead. The Richard Bishop one is ace though.

racehorse 02.14.2007 11:21 AM

here are the dates:
Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver TBD Glasgow, SCOTLAND 04/28-29/07
John Wiese w/ Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver. The Point, Cardiff, UK 04/30/07
John Wiese w/ Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver The Stage Gateshead, UK 05/01/07
John Wiese w/ Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver The Wardrobe Leeds, UK 05/02/07
John Wiese w/ Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver TBD Bristol, UK 05/03/07
John Wiese w/ Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver TBD Brighton, UK 05/04/07
John Wiese w/ Evan Parker, C. Spencer Yeh, Tim Barnes, Yellow Swans, Metalux, John Edwards, Culver TBD London, UK 05/05/07

Toilet & Bowels 02.14.2007 11:32 AM

it's good this briding of the gap between improv and noise. in a similar vein mark wastell has a record coming out with lasse marhaung.

racehorse 02.14.2007 11:39 AM

yeah, i'm so excited. wiese w/evan parker is going to be amazing... mixing an free improv forefather with one of the key exponents of the current noise scene will be very interesting indeed. i just hope that the london show will let me in due to being under 18... any experience w/ the strictness of the type of clubs that would host this kind of thing? i'd expect them to be quite lax and easy going but you never know......

Toilet & Bowels 02.14.2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racehorse
yeah, i'm so excited. wiese w/evan parker is going to be amazing... mixing an free improv forefather with one of the key exponents of the current noise scene will be very interesting indeed. i just hope that the london show will let me in due to being under 18... any experience w/ the strictness of the type of clubs that would host this kind of thing? i'd expect them to be quite lax and easy going but you never know......

well you almost never see youngsters at these type of shows, but i think that is due to lack of interest from people of that age rather than strictness about age as you certainly see enough fresh faced youths if you go to other kinds of shows.

racehorse 02.14.2007 11:51 AM

yeah - that's probably true. thanks

Iain 02.14.2007 12:17 PM

The date on the 30th that is listed as To Be Determined is at The Point in Cardiff. Although I've been told Paul Hession is the percussionist rather than Tim Barnes. Tim Barnes would be ace though...

jon boy 02.15.2007 04:27 AM

paul hession is amazing! you have to check him out if you can.