Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   So, what did we make of Massive Attack's Heligoland? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=38214)

This Is Not Here 02.20.2010 09:03 PM

So, what did we make of Massive Attack's Heligoland?

Pretty different to anything we've heard from them before. But it is GOOD different or BAAAADDD different?, have your say...

GeneticKiss 02.21.2010 10:19 PM

What are you talking about? Did they finally release another album?

SYRFox 02.22.2010 12:44 AM

Haven't listened to it yet, but they were pretty great when I saw them live in November

pbradley 02.22.2010 02:29 AM

It's less sexy than their previous stuff. "Splitting the Atom" sounds like a Gorillaz single. "Paradise Circue" is, thus far, my favorite from the album.

_slavo_ 02.22.2010 03:20 AM

Paradise Circus gets frequent radio play these days in my land. I heard it today morning while driving to work. Neat track.

Keeping It Simple 02.22.2010 09:09 AM

Anyone like the Paris based Aussie band Heligoland?

eternal 05.11.2010 07:25 PM

If they happen to be coming near you on their current tour --> GO!

Despite picking a shitty venue hear in toronto, they put on 2 night's worth of spectacular shows. Great setlist, the best of heligoland/mezzanine/blue lines with only 1 track from the lesser (IMO) protection & 100th albums.
They brought along Horace Andy, Martina Topley Bird and a soul singer i don't know the name of, but she was great nonetheless. The band playing Angel may have been the climax of my life? incredible. Really showed how important everyone's contributions are to their albums.
The lights/effects were great too, lots of poetry and random words projected in the back usually with some kind of political message, really inspiring.

alyasa 05.12.2010 07:05 AM

it was ethereal, like their previous effort... but the slinky grooves from blue lines and protection are slowly creeping back in... they seem to have a bigger focus on melodies now, more than ever... where they were the king of the dub influenced groove on blue lines, the soft, subdued thump of protection and the pervasive, relentless mood on mezzanine; they seem to focus on songs here; and it's, to be honest, not their strongest suit... They are; more than most; sheer stylists; masters of it; and the shift towards 'proper' songs here and on 100th Window, is admirable; though needs some getting used to...

Florya 05.12.2010 08:01 AM

I didn't rate it really. They were let down by what is normally their strongest feature - their female guest vocalists.

The new UNKLE album however is excellent.

alyasa 05.12.2010 08:55 AM

The whole album should be all variations of Pray For Rain... Strongest track...

eternal 05.12.2010 10:15 AM

hmm.. i thought there was more love for this album!

i think it's a really good record, top 3 of their catalogue for sure. I enjoyed all the female vocalists, the TVOTR guy sounds great on the opening track, and Horace Andy on my favourite track Girl I Love You. True there's some junk on the second half of the album, but there are some amazing songs on here!

Still, I don't know what they were thinking by scrapping "United Snakes" and "Invade Me" from the LP, those 2 songs are the best of the new stuff! Try and find those online somewhere if you can

ni'k 05.12.2010 10:52 AM

alyasa 05.13.2010 01:12 AM

Tattoos are sooo hot in Asia right now.

space 05.20.2010 10:27 PM

waiting for them to come on stage for last LA show. Martina Topley Bird is blowing my fucking mind...

nicfit 05.21.2010 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by space
waiting for them to come on stage for last LA show. Martina Topley Bird is blowing my fucking mind...

is you search for "Martina Topley Bird" in this forum you'll have 21 results (22 now, probably..), 12 of them are posts of mine.
The more you know.

sy2004 05.21.2010 01:21 AM

MA = highly overrated
Heligoland = a boring release
new Unkle is also quite disappointing, it sounds more like a Moby record.
I prefer Unkle's rock approach much more.

GeneticKiss 05.21.2010 01:54 AM

Got it as a birthday present yesterday and spun it...

Sounds alright...think I'll need to hear it again for a full analysis.

Pray for Rain sounds a bit like TV On The Radio from Tunde Adebimpe's vocals--his voice is that unique. However, Dave Sitek is credited with playing guitar on the album, so if it's that track, it could be why.

pbradley 05.21.2010 02:24 AM

At this point, I have to say that it is forgettable.

space 05.21.2010 01:36 PM

joyless cunts, I pity you!

best.show.ever.

horace.fucking.andy.

nicfit 05.21.2010 02:16 PM

If horace and martina had a baby his/her voice would melt people.