Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bob Dylan vs the Butthole Surfers (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3722)

Norma J 07.03.2006 10:19 PM

Geez, calm down.

Saturnine: Only like... 33 of them are studio albums, and that's counting a few movie soundtracks he did. Alot of Dylan's catalogue is made up of Live releases, and Best Of's.

Norma J 07.03.2006 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saturnine
i am just going by his discography. most of his shit is good regardless of what you fucks would like to believe.

HAHA. I said I value all of his releases (that I own)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.03.2006 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
I prefer the original. But I love both Hendrix and Dylan.
Dylan is hardly a 'crappy composer'. Now that's just plain poppycock.

In comparison to Hendrix I think he is.

Norma J 07.03.2006 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
In comparison to Hendrix I think he is.

Incorrect. When it comes to guitar ability, yes, Dylan is indeed inferior. But not songwriting composition. Dylan was Jimi's favourite songwriter/musician. So in a way, you have Dylan to thank for your Jimi admiration.

Anyway. Who cares, really.

SolidZach 07.03.2006 10:58 PM

Hendrix is for hippies.

m^a(t)h 07.03.2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
pretentious assholes.

it's come to full circle; as i said, i thought bob dylan is a butthole surfer.

you mean "was a butthole surfer."

hendrix's version fucking blows compared to the original. Dylan is amazing. I cant believe you guys are putting him down. the butthole surfers blow, hendrix can take his retarded classic rock shit and shove it up his ass.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.03.2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norma J
Incorrect. When it comes to guitar ability, yes, Dylan is indeed inferior. But not songwriting composition. Dylan was Jimi's favourite songwriter/musician. So in a way, you have Dylan to thank for your Jimi admiration.

Anyway. Who cares, really.

Opinions can't be incorrect.

The arrangement for the Hendrix version is so much better though. I'd say arranging is a big part of composing. There is really nothing impressive to me at all about the arrangements that Dylan composed for the original versions of his songs. I'm not saying he needed full band instrumentation, I'm just saying I didn't find the way he played his chord progressions very powerful- they bore me in comparison to similar artists using the same instrumentation.

I'm not the sort of person that likes my favorite artists influences by default.

krastian 07.03.2006 11:51 PM

Bob's lyrics get me right in the gut....as you can see I posted them in all the Dylan polls. That is all, carry on.

m^a(t)h 07.03.2006 11:55 PM

Quote:

The arrangement for the Hendrix version is so much better though. I'd say arranging is a big part of composing. There is really nothing impressive to me at all about the arrangements that Dylan composed for the original versions of his songs. I'm not saying he needed full band instrumentation, I'm just saying I didn't find the way he played his chord progressions very powerful- they bore me in comparison to similar artists using the same instrumentation.

I'm not the sort of person that likes my favorite artists influences by default.

I find his acoustic strumming stuff much more interesting and powerful then a boring classic rock song with a lretarded guitar solo that we have to hear on the radio for the next 100 years.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.04.2006 12:00 AM

I don't listen to the radio o.0

Norma J 07.04.2006 12:07 AM

Quote:

Everything you say is your opinion, doesn't mean your opinion is correct. Theres always facts. If you say a dog has 6 legs, just because thats what you think, doesn't make it so.

Norma J 07.04.2006 12:41 AM

In your opinion, I'm wrong?

luxinterior 07.04.2006 12:59 AM

I vote Bob. I get irritated when I talk to people who act like he's the worst singer and guitar player on the face of the earth. In my experience, this usually comes from people who sing and play the guitar as well, but who couldn't compose a decent song or a set of lyrics to save their life. I don't understand why he inspires so much hatred, but whatever.

youthoftomorrow 07.04.2006 01:57 AM

Butthole Surfers.

finding nobody 07.04.2006 03:33 AM

i've only heard one butthole surfers album. i like it. but i can name 10 dylan albums that i love more
Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I vote Bob. I get irritated when I talk to people who act like he's the worst singer and guitar player on the face of the earth. In my experience, this usually comes from people who sing and play the guitar as well, but who couldn't compose a decent song or a set of lyrics to save their life. I don't understand why he inspires so much hatred, but whatever.

alot of people dont know that he disguises his voice. listen to the 'nashville skyline' album. he sings sweetly on that one

atari 2600 07.04.2006 08:11 AM

Bob Dylan

Tokolosh 07.04.2006 08:17 AM

Heh! Bobhole Surfers vs Butt Dylan?!?

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 09:05 AM

I agree that comparing Bob Dylan to the Butthole Surfers is the equivalent of comparing bread to slug.

I've tried to find a BHS album in record stores, but the only on I've found was Electriclarry land. I guess I have to do mail order for their early stuff

atari 2600 07.04.2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
I've tried to find a BHS album in record stores, but the only on I've found was Electriclarry land. I guess I have to do mail order for their early stuff

My favorite is probably the Widowermaker ep.
albums: Locust Abortion Technician & Psychic, Powerless...another man's sac

LittlePuppetBoy 07.04.2006 09:09 AM

what about Rembrant Pussyhorse?