Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Homemade Equipment (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=372)

nomadicfollower 03.27.2006 09:34 PM

Homemade Equipment

Anybody got any cool homemade equipment? I remeber someone posting (on old blue) some crazy guitars they put together. Cool shit.

Me and a friend are going to start build on an all metal guitar tomorrow. It's going to have 6 pickups (if anyone has any cool ideas how we should plac these it would help, vertical, diagnol, etc..) and we're going to try and make an insane amount of switched to change the sound (though I'm sure that will work.

Anyway, post some homemade guitars, amps, pedals, anything. I'd like some inspiration.

HaydenAsche 03.27.2006 09:36 PM

I'm in the process of kind of building a sound-machine out of some old broken synthesizers and a kiddy-drum machine.

Пятхъдесят Шест 03.27.2006 10:06 PM

Remember that home made thingy Mutant Ape was selling? What ever happened to Mutant Ape???

hey alex 03.27.2006 10:15 PM

Awesome thread, I was actually going to out tomorrow and start scoping out parts for my frankentar. Any pointers/tips for building and looking for parts?
What are some good dirty pickups that i could probably find for kinda cheap?

golden child 03.27.2006 10:36 PM

im making some contact mics for a show on friday. never done it before, so that should be fun. i intend to put them on a cymbal that will get torn to shit

nomadicfollower 03.30.2006 09:06 PM

Never got to make my guitar. My friends brother said that it would be to hard to bend the neck right.

No one's got any pictures of homemade shit?

TheDom 03.30.2006 09:08 PM

Hey, what exactly is a contact mic?

nomadicfollower 03.30.2006 09:10 PM

Don't know much about them. I believe their just a cheap "noise" mic.

http://home.earthlink.net/~erinys/contactmic.html

How to make one ^^^...

I believe it's what Brian Chippendale puts in his mouth at LB shows.

Lone Flanger 03.30.2006 10:36 PM

I put a contact mic under the trem assembly in my guitar. I have one of those guitars with a trem similar to a Jaguar so with a contact mic under it, you get seriously loud amplification of the strings behind the bridge.

doctor dan 03.31.2006 06:32 AM

contact mics pick up vibrations in surfaces, as opposed to air. this means you can glue them to things and then bang them. they sound trashy and are shit cheap to make (like $2)

jon boy 03.31.2006 05:57 PM

to be hnest most of my shit is home made.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 03.31.2006 09:23 PM

I have a home made pedal board. I didn't make the pedals on it though. I'm more into modifying pedals. I'm modifying my Electro Harmonix frequency analyzer, and buying a few delays to mod out sometime soon.

marleypumpkin 03.31.2006 10:59 PM

My father just made an electric. He bought a kit, but built it himself.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 03.31.2006 11:29 PM

Yeah, I just redid a 335 copy with a gold burst and a nickel back.

marleypumpkin 03.31.2006 11:34 PM

The kit my father got was a cheap little strat rip off. I think th name was Axle, or something like that. He put the electronics & everything in himself.
He's been an acoustic guitar player his whole playing career, now he finally see's the light.

Inhuman 03.31.2006 11:41 PM

My brother's in an industrial band and he has an insturment composed of a guitar neck (with strings) going into a megaphone with a Mic bolted on to it. I always wondered how to hold it

next step 04.07.2006 06:28 AM

circa 4 years ago I built a gtr. I bought two pieces of wood that came from a monastery near my town. it's a walnut. then I build this guitar in my garage. I made everything except the neck that comes from a broken epiphone gtr. sounds quite good!

then I built a footswitch to connect devices