Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Most perfectly spot-on ACCURATELY rated bands OF ALL TIME (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=288)

top 40 squeeze 03.26.2006 07:28 AM

Most perfectly spot-on ACCURATELY rated bands OF ALL TIME

Uh, so anyone got any ideas?

I'm gonna say like, uh, Seven Mary Three. I mean they had that one over blown single... But I would say music history doesn't overrate or underrate where they belong... ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOWHERE... Don't see people talking smack on them all the time. Don't see people singing their praises ever... Perfectly rated in my opinion...

Or maybe like David Bowie... Huge, but not ball bustingly overratedly huge... And the guy delivered like at least 10 straight years of solid material and I think he gets acknowledged fairly for that...

Anal Cunt... Oh man, are they rated perfectly, or what?

Ummmmmmmm........ Johnny Cash???

Roxy Music?

I just find it funny that the threads underrated and overrated seemingly try to cover ever major or minor band in existance. So, who's motherfucking perfectly placed?

Sonic Youth, maybe.

Onani Nic 03.26.2006 07:51 AM

Maybe Bob Dylan, he is rated about right?
The Stooges?
Wu-Tang??

Glice 03.26.2006 08:00 AM

Bowie overrated. Way overrated. Whispering Bob. No-one's heard of them, and that's fine. They're awful. Not rated, just awful.

*Edit: Dylan is overrated. Seriously, 3-4 good albums and 30 years of shit on the back of it? CAn anyone be more overrated?

top 40 squeeze 03.26.2006 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
Maybe Bob Dylan, he is rated about right?
The Stooges?
Wu-Tang??

Yeah... Wu-Tang that's good. I think rap as a genre might have some of the most spot-on rated artists involved, while at the same time perpetuating the highest proportion of overrated, arrogant, self aggrandizing jerk-offs.

truncated 03.26.2006 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
Bowie overrated. Way overrated. Whispering Bob. No-one's heard of them, and that's fine. They're awful. Not rated, just awful.

*Edit: Dylan is overrated. Seriously, 3-4 good albums and 30 years of shit on the back of it? CAn anyone be more overrated?

Glice, I officially adore you. I'm so tired of people sucking off Dylan, it makes me cringe every time I see him lauded.

Though I disagree about Bowie, but I'm willing to overlook that now ;)

truncated 03.26.2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
Yeah... Wu-Tang that's good. I think rap as a genre might have some of the most spot-on rated artists involved, while at the same time perpetuating the highest proportion of overrated, arrogant, self aggrandizing jerk-offs.

I think rap has a lot of the most underappreciated artists within a genre (mind you, this is not the same as underrated), especially by younger listeners. NWA and Public Enemy, while not underrated, definitely don't get the recognition they deserve by all these wet-eared pseudo-gangstas claiming to love rap. I think the Beastie Boys are perfectly rated (they are a cultural icon, but not unduly worshipped), and perhaps Ice Cube - he's decent, but just kind of, well, there.

RdTv 03.26.2006 09:20 AM

hmm some others of the hip hop persuation:
DJ Shadow
MF Doom
Outkast
Madlib

truncated 03.26.2006 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RdTv
hmm some others of the hip hop persuation:
DJ Shadow
MF Doom
Outkast
Madlib

Are you saying you think they're perfectly rated? I think DJ Shadow and Outkast might be underappreciated - I haven't listened to the other two enough to conclude anything on them.

top 40 squeeze 03.26.2006 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated
Are you saying you think they're perfectly rated? I think DJ Shadow and Outkast might be underappreciated - I haven't listened to the other two enough to conclude anything on them.

I would say Outkast are actually perfectly appreciated. They nail both pop single overplayed crowd, the I'm gonna listen to a whole record that's really well put together, consistant, and downright artistic, the critical-aclaim angle. I mean I feel like their appreciated on different levels by a wide variety of different types of people that listen to music for different reasons. Not everyone might get that their music is deaper than just "Hey Ya..." booty shake, play the song till its dead, but their is a huge group of people that listen for more than the pop in the Outkast. That places them as solidly rated, in my opinion, cause they are multi-dimensional, and I think fully appreciated . A similar thing can be said about the Beatles... Its just that so much has been said about The Beatles that it's just head-explode awful... and one feels the urge to call them overrated.

RdTv 03.26.2006 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truncated

I think that the two of them are just about right. Thnis due to the mainstream exposure they get and all these kids that don't know a lot of hip hop or especially underground stuff, like what they hear and define them as the greatest and the best. Couple that with your hip hop guru's and music know-it-all's that like them , but also realize they aren't the coolest since sliced bread. Add the two different parties and divide, you will reach a conclusion of a spot-on rating.

Felicia Funbags 03.26.2006 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by top 40 squeeze
I would say Outkast are actually perfectly appreciated. They nail both pop single overplayed crowd, the I'm gonna listen to a whole record that's really well put together, consistant, and downright artistic, the critical-aclaim angle. I mean I feel like their appreciated on different levels by a wide variety of different types of people that listen to music for different reasons. Not everyone might get that their music is deaper than just "Hey Ya..." booty shake, play the song till its dead, but their is a huge group of people that listen for more than the pop in the Outkast. That places them as solidly rated, in my opinion, cause they are multi-dimensional, and I think fully appreciated . A similar thing can be said about the Beatles... Its just that so much has been said about The Beatles that it's just head-explode awful... and one feels the urge to call them overrated.

Good point. I suppose I am thinking of what they're more typically lauded for and by whom, and I fear that that may misrepresent their music to a degree.

Hip Priest 03.26.2006 11:41 AM

I think Public Enemy are more or less fairly rated - they get respect for what they've achieved, I think.

The Clash, too.

ccc

Iain 03.26.2006 12:55 PM

Chuck Dylan and Bowie into the overrated pile for sure. Actually, just chuck them on a pile of something sharp.

Actually, Dylan has done maybe one or two nice songs and the fact that he sold his cd exclusively in Starbucks to piss his fans off should probably be enough to save him. But Bowie.....jesus.

Everyneurotic 03.26.2006 01:13 PM

1) who
2) gives
3) a
4) shit

that's perfectly, accurately rated

LifeDistortion 03.26.2006 01:49 PM

How about the sham of Milli Vanilli? People couldn't stand those two guys once people found out they were fake singers. The thing is it still goes on it pop music, where it becomes all about selling an image, despite whether the talent is there or not. Altough the critizism they got was deserved, those two men, (one who eventually commited suicide), were pawns of the people that created that band in the first place. And I bet the people responsible are still working in the music industry today.

blots 03.26.2006 03:23 PM

Out of the albums considered his best, which of these Dylan albums would you say aren't good...?

1963 The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
1964 The Times They Are A-Changin'
1964 Another Side of Bob Dylan
1965 Bringing It All Back Home
1965 Highway 61 Revisited
1966 Blonde on Blonde
1967 John Wesley Harding
1969 Nashville Skyline

1975 Blood on the Tracks
1975 Basement Tapes

I have a lot more than that I would add to the list of great albums...which four exactly were you talking about? As for thirty years of shit...I'd sort of agree with that, though he's had a few good ones in there, and I've liked his last two albums.

I think Dylan is pretty accurately rated, especially for his influence. Though I think others, namely Phil Ochs, should have gotten more credit than they did.

HaydenAsche 03.26.2006 04:44 PM

Doom is way underappreciated.

top 40 squeeze 03.26.2006 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
1) who
2) gives
3) a
4) shit

that's perfectly, accurately rated

1)ha
2)haha