Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DDN vs Loveless (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=18357)

GrungeMonkey 12.17.2007 11:42 AM

DDN vs Loveless

Inspired by the DDN vs The Bends thread apparently on the radiohead boards, I thought I'd do the same here, but with a different album that most SY fans hold in high esteem... Loveless by My Bloody Valentine?

For me, I prefer Daydream. By an absolutely tiny stretch.

SYRFox 12.17.2007 11:47 AM

Wah, now that's a hard choice. I think I'll go with Daydream Nation, the Trilogy makes the difference.

Everyneurotic 12.17.2007 12:03 PM

loveless by 500 miles.

PAULYBEE2656 12.17.2007 12:12 PM

sorry but dumb thread. you cant compare and contrast these two albums properly. its just a matter of opinion. both rule in certain ways.

its like asking whats better the xbox or a slice of black forset gateaux.

racehorse 12.17.2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
sorry but dumb thread. you cant compare and contrast these two albums properly. its just a matter of opinion. both rule in certain ways.

black forest gateaux!

auto-aim 12.17.2007 07:04 PM

i went for loveless... if you'd said evol or sister thatd be another thing entirely

avantgarde1 12.17.2007 07:09 PM

DDN all the way. no other album is ever gonna win in my opinion (unless you put it up against another SY album).

LittlePuppetBoy 12.17.2007 09:14 PM

as much as I love Loveless, DDN still takes the cake.

ZEROpumpkins 12.17.2007 09:16 PM

Loveless. It's more consistant.

ArthurDoyleHandCream 12.18.2007 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Loveless. It's more consistant.

I disagree, I find Daydream Nation a lot more consistent. I feel I have to be in the right mood for Loveless, whereas Daydream works all the time. If that makes sense.

GrungeMonkey 12.18.2007 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656

I just though it would be interesting to se where the general opinion lies, as is the point of polls.

...And its obviously a slice of black forest gateaux. Fact.:cool:

PAULYBEE2656 12.18.2007 01:38 PM

you bitches know your cake vs console thingy alright!

Cantankerous 12.18.2007 05:26 PM

god damn, hard question

soapbars 12.18.2007 05:36 PM

white light/white heat

nomowish 12.24.2007 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArthurDoyleHandCream
I disagree, I find Daydream Nation a lot more consistent. I feel I have to be in the right mood for Loveless, whereas Daydream works all the time. If that makes sense.

I disagree, I find Loveless a lot more consistent. I feel I have to be in the right mood for Daydream Nation, whereas Loveless works all the titme. If that makes sense.

Quote:

Originally Posted by auto-aim
i went for loveless... if you'd said evol that'd be another thing entirely.

I think I agree.

sarramkrop 08.20.2008 02:49 PM

It's amazing how the sound of these two albums kind of aged badly compared to other records by the bands in question. I've listened to Isn't Anything the other day for the first time in aeons and it still sounds as good as when I first heard it.

Both ''Soft As Snow (But Warm Inside)'' and ''Nothing Much To Lose'' were always favourites and still are. All the songs on it are great, though.

SonicBebs 08.20.2008 04:05 PM

I'm gonna start really really trying to get into DDN. for the love of god i'm gonna try

Derek 08.20.2008 05:05 PM

Daydream Nation obviously.

Pax Americana 08.21.2008 01:18 AM

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ..............

Daydream.

This Is Not Here 08.21.2008 01:34 AM

They're very different, and conjure up very different feelings. I totally agree with the comment that Daydream works all the time, whilst Loveless is an album you need to be in the mood for. Daydream flows PERFECTLY, and I also love the persona the album has, and the way that kind of implodes in on itself with Hyperstation, Rain King and Kissability towards the end. At the start you've the brash, confrontational and rebellions anthems, a really formidable persona-Teenage Riot, the Sprawl- and then it just collapses and undermines itself, things get dark, sinister and neurotic. And I just think that particularly is the most facinating part of Daydream -it is more profound than any peice of music I've ever heard, even Loveless.