Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth at Donau Festival, Krems, Austria 22.4.09 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30510)

This Is Not Here 04.22.2009 07:05 PM

Sonic Youth at Donau Festival, Krems, Austria 22.4.09

First of all the setlist, more to come tomorrow

Schitzophrenia
World Looks Red
Cross The Breeze
Tom Violence
Calming The Snake
Eric's Trip
Antennae
Silver Rocket
Sacred Trickster
No Way
Hey Joni
Kool Thing

(Encore 1)
100 %
Teenage Riot

(Encore 2)
Brother James
Expressway To Yr Skull

Moshe 04.22.2009 08:08 PM

thr new song was antenae.

exploding plastic candle 04.22.2009 08:10 PM

wow what a setlist

joe11121 04.22.2009 08:19 PM

Looks like it'd be an awesome show!

neptuneg 04.22.2009 08:34 PM

How was Antennae?

canabero 04.22.2009 08:44 PM

mmm, i see they played 4 songs from The Eternal.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 04.22.2009 10:15 PM

Where is the You Tube and Mediafire links to this new+live+gem?

Bal 04.22.2009 10:17 PM

Very nice setlist
Hope theyll play expressway tonite inmunich...

mattz 04.23.2009 06:00 AM

anyone some pics or videos?

Gulasch Noir 04.23.2009 06:38 AM

http://www.donaufestival.at/festival...ie/woche1/22-4

A video would be ace.
For the record, I was the one who screechingly demanded Brother James.

nicfit 04.23.2009 06:42 AM

fuckingfuckfuck what a setlist!!!

greenlight 04.23.2009 07:15 AM

great, great, gig. what a setlist. the gig was blast. I have seen them like seven times, but this one was very, very good. band totally enjoyed themselfs, sound was great, they played songs very well, except Thurston fucked up Calming Snake a bit. middle section in Silver Rocket was amazing, what a noise, what a noise.. Kool Thing was very intense thise time. Encore of Expressway was as ussual great. what a dream setlist. even though I was hoping for new songs setlist I was not dissapointed, coz such a dream set list. Antenea reminded me some song from WM for some reason. first time on Lee side. was fucking great to be on his side. audience was great as well. one girl managed get on stage twice and dance a bit. few lads make it only as far as through the barrier tho. funny. have not enjoyed SY gig like that in a long time. I couldnt help not jump around...my neck is sore today big time.

Mirror/Dash was sweet, but short, not that noisy as I thought they will be. very intimate. they played in church which is/must be venue these days.

Krems is really nice little place with historical centre with big park beside it.

nice to meet Slavo again, This Is Not Here, Spiritual Amnesia, Thousand Threads!

I have videotaped Mirror/Dash set. and me and Slavo were sharing Mic. in our hands while recording SY gig, which turned to be out decent recording of their gig despite the fact that this was first time I was recording with Zoom H2. So I will be sharing recordings as soon as I get back to Dublin.

and what a sunny weather in midland Europe at the moment! wow!

blunderbuss 04.23.2009 07:30 AM

^
nice

greenlight 04.23.2009 07:38 AM

oh yeah, Schizophrenia and Brother James live? thanks!!!!

looking forward to see SY again at Primavera in a month time!

_slavo_ 04.23.2009 07:47 AM

fuck that, guys you're quick. James, where did you manage to find internet connection that fast?

As greenlight said yesterday: "What a pace, James, WHAT a pace" :)

Anyways, it was super nice to meet you guys again. James (This Is not here) is a cool and friendly guy with enormous enthusiasm for all things Sonic Youth related, which is good.
The gig itself was INSANE !!!! Hands down the best Sonic Youth performance I've ever seen. The new songs sounded great, a pleasant surprise for me was especially Antenae, which proved to be very catchy at first listen. As for the older ones, they all rocked but I particularly liked Shizophrenia and, as greenlight pointed out, Silver Rocket. Brother James in the second encore then slayed everything.

After the gig, I got into backstage and got my copy of Psychic Confusion book signed by Thurston. Then I shook his hand and you could not find a happier person at that moment as I was.
We also talked to Lee for a short while after their soundcheck had ended, but we all three were so nervous of meeting him, so we rather escaped after a couple of embarassing sentences. Haha.

Great great evening. I'll most likely go and see them at Nightmare Before Christmas too.

mattz 04.23.2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
audience was great as well. one girl managed get on stage twice and dance a bit. few lads make it only as far as through the barrier tho. funny. have not enjoyed SY gig like that in a long time. I couldnt help not jump around...my neck is sore today big time.

he man, i managed to get on stage between 100% and teenage riot! it was my second try - got caught the first time, but ran away! but i'm not a girl...

it was 'only' my second SY-show i saw live, but i enjoyed it soooooo much! unbelievable! calming the snake, sacred trickster and silver rocket rocked my world!

good to hear that others also like jumping around, felt quite lonely ;)

blunderbuss 04.23.2009 08:13 AM

Was there merchandise?

_slavo_ 04.23.2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Was there merchandise?

yes, loads of T-Shirts, CDs, vinyls, books (I've bought the Psychic Confusion one) etc etc. A very good merch table.

blunderbuss 04.23.2009 08:16 AM

Good stuff. Hopefully there'll still be plenty next week. I hate it when I go to a gig and leave with the same amount of money as I arrived with.

poledo2 04.23.2009 08:17 AM

Hey folks,
I just can say, that it was one of the greatest shows of them i saw. (it was the 8-time). The setlist was -as mentioned-great and they were just "fresh" - of course also as a consequence of beginning the tour. Silver Rocket was my highlight!!!

and jess, there´ve been a lot of shirts and a few record as merch