Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pumpkins anyone? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=532)

Blandkind 04.03.2006 06:51 AM

Pumpkins anyone?

Is there Anybody else on these boards into the smashing pumpkins? They are one of my favourite bands.

jon boy 04.03.2006 06:57 AM

no.

noumenal 04.03.2006 06:59 AM

well, orange is my favourite colour

RdTv 04.03.2006 07:01 AM

I hardly ever answer this question anymore because I'm tired of saying "yeah some of their older stuff", but yeah I liked Gish and the Mission to Mars EP, and a handful of songs from Siamese Dream, oh and Pisces Iscariot had cool stuff on it, but after siamese dream they went downhill never to get back up.

Soundtrax 04.03.2006 08:16 AM

i liked gish, siamase dream, pisces iscariot, mellon collie, but they didnt produce any good album after, but some songs are okay even from machina and adore, i also liked 3 zwan songs, but i just cant hear billy corgan solo album... they are allegedly working on the new album and i hope that the next album they make will be good, but i think think so far that billy has lost his gift for songwriting

Trasher02 04.03.2006 11:20 AM

yeah i like 'em.But mellon colie and the infinite sadness has some serious stupid shit on it

Toxa 04.03.2006 11:43 AM

my 2nd favorite band after sy...

for SP fans: http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/

great archives of their stuff.

m^a(t)h 04.03.2006 12:00 PM

i love the pumpkins...

You guys got to listen to Adore, its seriously one of my favorite albums of all time. Give it atleast a serious listen cause you are missing out on some great electronic sounds. Blank Page is my favorite song by them.

Siamese Dream is great too, but I never heard the Mission to Mars EP...

And also check out the Machina Acoustic demos.

m^a(t)h 04.03.2006 12:03 PM

but i think think so far that billy has lost his gift for songwriting

You guys have got to stop reading all the reviews and listen to FutureEmbrace. Its a beautiful album. Reminds me of Bjork or something. It has this like unique feel to it I just cant get out of my head, I wish he would stay solo and just make these kind of records...

Signpost 04.03.2006 12:31 PM

I like them but i don't listen to them as much as i used to. Billy Corgan has great voice and writes pretty good lyrics.
And the earlier stuff is much better than the latter.

Quote:

mellon colie and the infinite sadness has some serious stupid shit on it

Yeah, the last four songs are totally crappy.

Soundtrax 04.03.2006 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signpost
I like them but i don't listen to them as much as i used to. Billy Corgan has great voice and writes pretty good lyrics.
And the earlier stuff is much better than the latter.

Yeah, the last four songs are totally crappy.

i like them all :) i think adore and machina are crappy... machina has such a fucking annoying guitar distortion that i just cant listen to most of the album... but adore is even worse, for other reasons

krastian 04.03.2006 01:16 PM

I used to looooove the Pumpkins, but lost interest after Billy shaved his head/Mellon Collie. I listen to them probably a few times a year now.

hey alex 04.03.2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toxa
my 2nd favorite band after sy...

for SP fans: http://rspaa.niluje.net/data/

great archives of their stuff.

cool site

I'm an ok fan of them. I hope they don't suck when they come back tho.

DoubleNickels 04.03.2006 01:54 PM

Huge fan of them, I think they're my favourite band, SY being the second. But that position gets swapped out by the two.

I love every album, I can see why some people don't like Machine or Adore, but I think I love those albums more than their early stuff.

Soundtrax 04.03.2006 02:56 PM

sonic youth and smashing pumpkins are totaly different bands. i can't imagine putting them on the same playlist... its like 1 month i only listen to sonic youth, 2nd month i only listen to smashing pumpkins :D

EyeballGrowth 04.04.2006 12:08 PM

Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie

Oh man this topic like usual is gonna spawn a bunch of pompous indie snobs who are gonna go on about how much Smashing Pumpkins suck and how awesome Pavement is, even though they probably liked the pumpkins at one point

Torn Curtain 04.04.2006 01:01 PM

I like Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie and Adore (even if I don't listen to the band now as much as I used to).

Regarding Adore I don't understand why it's so hated here because I think it's their best in terms of songwriting.

Amaranth 04.04.2006 01:34 PM

gish and pisces iscariot are awesome. siamese dream is ok. pretty much similar to what lots of folks already said.

nomadicfollower 04.04.2006 04:40 PM

I like 'em all right I guess. Billy's voice annoys the hell outta me sometimes though.

hey alex 04.04.2006 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
Gish, Siamese Dream, Pisces Iscariot, Mellon Collie

Oh man this topic like usual is gonna spawn a bunch of pompous indie snobs who are gonna go on about how much Smashing Pumpkins suck and how awesome Pavement is, even though they probably liked the pumpkins at one point

other than pavemnt's range life, i see no connection. And billy saying pave were indie for the sake of being indie. Personally i think both rule in their own ways. I got the moon demo off that site and dig it totally.