Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best/Favorite Opening Band for SY you saw (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=111345)

pantophobia 03.08.2015 05:54 PM

Best/Favorite Opening Band for SY you saw

was just kinda reminiscing over things after finishing the book

first ever show started wit Erase Errata and Mary Timony so that was a heavy way to start

the only time actually went out of the way to see an opening band was Les Georges Leningrad when they were announced opening for SY in Montreal, as a bonus Sunburned Hand Of The Man started out

and with the last Brooklyn show, Wild Flag was such a big deal I remember nearly every member of SY on the side of the stage watching in awe of the performance

share away...

Rob Instigator 03.08.2015 06:05 PM

Slanted Era Pavement

jennthebenn 03.08.2015 06:24 PM

Stereolab. I would have loved to have the means to follow SY around
in 2000 just to see Stereolab more times.

Les Georges...easily the biggest stage I ever saw them on, and they were
fantastic. Wild Flag, likewise.

whorefrost 03.08.2015 06:57 PM

Hmmm, always a bit too excited at the prospect of seeing SY to take in much of the opening act. Having said that, Liars at Manchester Academy in 2002 was pretty cool. Also saw The Pop Group opening for them at the same venue several years later.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.08.2015 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia

and with the last Brooklyn show, Wild Flag was such a big deal I remember nearly every member of SY on the side of the stage watching in awe of the performance

share away...

You saw Wild Flag AND Sonic Youth????

Well that trumps my Mary Timony opening at the 2006 Filter party show..

whorefrost 03.08.2015 07:06 PM

Goddamn this thread has sent me to the concert chronology to refresh me memory. Forgot about Decaer Pinga (AKA Prick Decay with Dylan Nyoukis) opening for them in Glasgow in 2004 which was pretty cool.

Also reading about them playing at clubs in Edinburgh in the 80s is making me ache with longing that I hadn't been a few years old at the time!

whorefrost 03.08.2015 07:09 PM

Shit guys, sorry, how could I fucking forget Shellac opening for them on New Year's Eve in 2010! Probably because I was out my nut on MDMA hehe..

Skip Tracer 03.08.2015 07:11 PM

Last show in Brooklyn had WF and Kurt Vile.
The Slits opening the Daydream Nation show at McCarren Pool.
I saw Dinosaur Jr. open for them multiple times.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.08.2015 07:32 PM

It probably would have been Helium, if I had gotten there on time to see it. I'll always remember the Breeders starting their set with Aerosmith's Lord of the Thighs. So unexpected! David S. Ware was cool, and so were The Warmers, which was Ian MacKaye's brother's band. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.08.2015 07:46 PM

I love how no matter how we slice the cake, Mary Timony is involved in like ALL of our favorite openers, from Helium to Solo to Wild Flag..

By the way, IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN EX-HEX LIVE YOU'RE MISSING THE FUCK OUT!!

Toilet & Bowels 03.09.2015 06:10 AM

TOKYO 2001: First opener was some guy called Tamio playing solo guitar psych. Never been able to find any info on him since. He was followed by OOIOO who I thought might upstage SY they were that good.

_slavo_ 03.09.2015 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pantophobia

first ever show started wit Erase Errata and Mary Timony so that was a heavy way to start

Same here. I thing we'd spoken about this before - it was the August 2002 Washington, DC gig, right? With "Anxious Rats" performing too with Kim on vocals, right? I was there too and it was my first ever SY show too.

Other than that I loved when Flower/Corsano opened for SY in London in 2007 and when the Chinese postpunk band Carsick Cars opened for them a few days earlier in Vienna.

confusion is next 03.09.2015 08:50 AM

Lisbon 1993
Lulu Blind and Tina and the Top Ten...great portugese acts.

ann ashtray 03.09.2015 09:11 AM

Magik Markers + Double Leopards

pantophobia 03.09.2015 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Same here. I thing we'd spoken about this before - it was the August 2002 Washington, DC gig, right? With "Anxious Rats" performing too with Kim on vocals, right? I was there too and it was my first ever SY show too.

it was yes, it was my first small club show as well

krischanski 03.09.2015 01:43 PM

I really liked Unwound (Sonic Youth & Stereolab & Unwound @ Huxley’s, Berlin ’96)

greenlight 03.09.2015 03:45 PM

Afrirampo @ Brixton, London '04

_tunic_ 03.09.2015 04:29 PM

Beck solo during the Washing Machine tour
Chris Corsano was great as well, but didn't like the two other guys he was playing with (Spencer Yeh & Flahery)
all I remember from some other support was a singing saw ... and the guy nexdt to me with a big Scottish accent complaining about it (this was in LA :) )

h8kurdt 03.09.2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
Afrirampo @ Brixton, London '04

This. Man they were good at that gig.

hirsute_biped 03.10.2015 01:33 AM

If memory serves me right, Destroy All Nels Cline and Helium in LA in '98 (1000 Leaves tour).