Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How strong do you think your personality is? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21282)

sarramkrop 04.18.2008 06:39 AM

How strong do you think your personality is?

You must have heard sometimes people describing themselves as having a strong personality and then amounting to no more than some facety charlatan when they are challenged by a real strong personality.

Which category do you fall under, those who are unremovably self-assured and confident in their dealings with people/situations or just an over-talkative no-show?

No poll, sorry.

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 06:40 AM

over-talkative internet-posting no-show self-doubting charlatan.

sarramkrop 04.18.2008 06:43 AM

After-breakfast replies only. Ta.

Toilet & Bowels 04.18.2008 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Which category do you fall under, those who are unremovably self-assured and confident in their dealings with people/situations or just an over-talkative no-show?

i'm neither confident nor over-talkative, i suppose that makes me a non-entity

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 06:50 AM

Quote:

After-breakfast replies only. Ta.

you think after breakfast i'm going to come back & declare "i have a strong personality"? who says that shit anyway, and wouldn't they find it utterly embarrassing to make such silly declarations? my reply stands.

jon boy 04.18.2008 06:52 AM

in certain circumstances i can have a strong personalityi guess. most of the time i am content to just ride it out.

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
i m thinking now that strong is relative and need elaboration. i know we use it to describe personality, but its very vague now that i m thinking about it.
confident
independent
opinion oriented-beliefs and sticking to them
opinion maker
strong is crisis and serious matters like losing family or dealing with deseases
strong in dealing with everyday life problems
overwhelming personality, that makes an impact on people

i can go on, i have to pick up the stupid phone again. be back

ssssssmartttt.

see, no wonder greeks gave us philosophy, o most aristotelian of posters. really, i like your approach.

jon boy 04.18.2008 06:56 AM

i think it could do with some clarity. is strong annoying? i guess its how people make use of a strong personailty. there are those who can be nice and while obviously have a strong personality they are intelligent and funny, or those who just walk into your psyche and kick over the furniture. innit.

sarramkrop 04.18.2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you think after breakfast i'm going to come back & declare "i have a strong personality"? who says that shit anyway, and wouldn't they find it utterly embarrassing to make such silly declarations? my reply stands.

Many people do that, unfortunately. After or before breakfast, yeah?

Why do you not just answer a fairLy simple question instead of constantly derailing threads to highlight your own boredom/discontent with what is posted?

demonrail666 04.18.2008 06:58 AM

Quote:

over-talkative internet-posting no-show self-doubting charlatan.

ditto

sarramkrop 04.18.2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i'm neither confident nor over-talkative, i suppose that makes me a non-entity

You come across as a fairly confident person in the flesh, though. Or maybe you are just quiet.

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 07:02 AM

Quote:

Many people do that, unfortunately. After or before breakfast, yeah?

Why do you not just answer a failry simple question instead of constantly derailing threads to highlight your own boredom/discontent with what is posted?

porks, i love you you know, but you're overinterpreting here.

i replied. take it or leave it, but let's not argue about your assumptions about my reasons, because those two exist in a different universe and have little in common, and in this case it's you derailing your own thread. shall we move on?

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
ditto

brother!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
eh thanks. i m really just making conversation! - to !@#$%!

i know. it's nice though.

sarramkrop 04.18.2008 07:11 AM

Quote:

porks, i love you you know, but you're overinterpreting here.

I was observing, not overinterpreting anything.

If you really love me you are going to write ''I love sarramkrop'' in 5 different languages and using five different colours on this thread. Yeah?

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 07:18 AM

Quote:

I was observing, not overinterpreting anything.

If you really love me you are going to write it ''I love sarramkrop'' in 5 different languages and using five different colours on this thread. Yeah?

hm, let me think....

NO

(insert smilie of choice)

---

anyway, to your thread, frankly i don't think anyone with a "strong" personality (whatever that means, as nefeli has sharply shown) would need to boast of having one. in other words, the case you initially presented is common because it's the charlatan that will claim having superpowers.

most mortals are good at some things & sucky at others, and some are more aware of their strengths and shortcomings than others. and because aware is one thing i am, i can confidently say i'm most times more talk than show, but that's just because i really like talking, as my post count demonstrates. talking is what i do the most.

so the verdict stands on appeal.

--

ps- i also think that people incapable of self-doubt are constitutionally and terminally stupid--and that's not any kind of strength.

Savage Clone 04.18.2008 07:25 AM

Stupidity can be as immovable as a stone wall.

Toilet & Bowels 04.18.2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

You come across as a fairly confident person in the flesh, though. Or maybe you are just quiet.

i just wing it, it takes me months of knowing someone to feel comfortable around them.

sarramkrop 04.18.2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

hm, let me think....

NO

(insert smilie of choice)

---

anyway, to your thread, frankly i don't think anyone with a "strong" personality (whatever that means, as nefeli has sharply shown) would need to boast of having one. in other words, the case you initially presented is common because it's the charlatan that will claim having superpowers.

most mortals are good at some things & sucky at others, and some are more aware of their strengths and shortcomings than others. and because aware is one thing i am, i can confidently say i'm often times more talk than show, but that's just because i really like talking, as my post count demonstrates.

so the verdict stands on appeal.

--

ps- i also think that people incapable of self-doubt are constitutionally and terminally stupid--and that's not any kind of strength.

Ok, this is more the sort of reply that I expected from you.

I am not debating what a strong personality is by a million miles, that is a series of qualities that makes a person, in a way, more flexible when it comes to deal with tricky situations and people, sometimes successfully and sometimes less so. Your observation about self-doubt is pretty much spot on in this context.

The overall sign that someone is inclined towards strength is the ''I can do it, I can go through this'' motto, without pre-emptying the outcome of what is happening to them.

I am more interested in how people assest their own level of strength on a general basis, that's all. The example I gave on my first post is naturally an easy target because a truly confident person I would generally expect not to boast about it at all.

█████████ 04.18.2008 07:45 AM

weak, but being shaped and progressing towards a stronger personality.
i'm still exploring identities and in the beginning of social experiences like independence.

!@#$%! 04.18.2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Ok, this is more the sort of reply that I expected from you.

well it's the same reply, you just got the long version. i.e., one where the trajectory to the end answer is fleshed out for all to see. which, fair enough, helps to avoid misunderstanding.

anyway here's something i thought about the rest of your post (which i didn't quote):

while it's interesting to know how people assess themselves in the courage-to-live scale (if i'm correct that's what you're driving at), i think that people don't often know their own strengths. because ultimately you're going to have to deal with whatever life throws at you-- death, disease, tickles, tragedy, concentration camps, whatever-- and then and only then you'll be able to say "ok, i can handle this" or you won't and you'll have a freakout and take refuge in booze pills whatever.

if you told me today i'd have to live with a colostomy bag hanging from my ass for the rest of my life i'd say "fuck no, i'd rather die", but if i *really* had to have it installed (fuck no, and knock on wood), who knows how i'd adapt & react to it. maybe i'd become a painter, maybe i'd off myself, maybe i'd laugh it off and play sports, maybe maybe maybe. anyway, just wanted to point out that self-perception, while interesting in and of itself, is frequently inaccurate, because time moves on, things change, and we're never the same person.

anyway, that was a digression. please carry on.