Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New CD tonight... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9368)

afterthefact 12.28.2006 04:25 PM

New CD tonight...

What should I buy? I was thinking either something Godspeed You! Black Emperor or something Melt Banana. Any other suggestions?

afterthefact 12.28.2006 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Nothing wrong with a little Godspeed in one's life.

There is a "Jesu" thread you may want to check out in Non-Sonic Sounds. After reading some of the comments in this thread, picking up something by Jesu is now at the top of my "things to do" list.

not a bad choice... anything else?

nicfit 12.28.2006 05:56 PM

-----Zu-----

Everyneurotic 12.28.2006 05:59 PM

i would say the new hella which kicks ass but it doesn't come out until january...

so, if you can find fairport convention's unhalfbricking, buy that. also anything by fuck on the beach (if you like hardcore punk) or gala by lush, if you like shoegazer shit.

nicfit 12.28.2006 06:02 PM

EN did I miss your "best of the year" list or you have still to post it?

Everyneurotic 12.28.2006 06:11 PM

ohh, the list is being compiled, but i have yet to do a spiel on each of them for my blog.

i couldn't narrow it to less than 50, so i have a top 50 and a low 50 list as well.

i'll post it soon, probably now.

Iain 12.28.2006 06:57 PM

Don't buy Hella!!! Hella are rubbish! Sorry, they are though aren't they?

Everyneurotic 12.28.2006 07:00 PM

their recording output is uneven because they tend to put out a lot of one offs as big releases (like chirping hard/church gone wild album which is two solo albums, or the acoustics ep which is as the title says) and their early stuff can get dry, but the new shit, especially the new one with the expanded line up, is incredible!!!! they sound like their best stuff mixed with mid-era voivod.

youthoftomorrow 12.29.2006 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
-----Zu-----

i second Zu. Hella is also an excellent choice.

afterthefact 12.29.2006 09:01 AM

Nurse With Wound and Zu, never heard of either, I must check these out...

_slavo_ 12.29.2006 09:30 AM

And if you're thinking of godspeed, get some Silver Mt. Zion, Fly Pan Am or Shalabi Effect CD too. They're all genuine Constellation people.

And besides that....hmmm, let me think. James Blackshaw would be a good choice, Jack Rose or Pelt too.

afterthefact 12.29.2006 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
And if you're thinking of godspeed, get some Silver Mt. Zion, Fly Pan Am or Shalabi Effect CD too. They're all genuine Constellation people.

And besides that....hmmm, let me think. James Blackshaw would be a good choice, Jack Rose or Pelt too.

I got the Fly Pan Am, and I just got a Silver Mt. Zion cd too, but I lost it! I was so pissed. I know it's in my car somewhere, but it's such a mess... I'll have to do some major cleaning to find it. I've never heard of Shalabi Effect before, and your taste is music has always been choice, so I'll check that out, since my CD buying venture has moved to tonight...

_slavo_ 12.29.2006 10:22 AM

thanks for kind words mate.

basically anything on constellation is worth checking out.

so which Fly Pan Am have you got? N'Ecoutez pas, I guess? But the self title debut is a kickass too. Less fuzzy, more repetitive stuff.

afterthefact 12.29.2006 10:32 AM

Yeah, I got N'Ecoutez Pas, I didn't know they had another :) I'll have to check that out too...

_slavo_ 12.29.2006 10:45 AM

http://www.cstrecords.com/cst008.html

PAULYBEE2656 12.29.2006 03:17 PM

go out and but the beirut album gulag oskestar, liars drums not dead, lows great destroyer, negativlands escape from noise and blood on the walls awesomer and you will cover the four corners of the musical sphere.............

nowt wrong with any of the above sugestions tho.. nww, melt banana and hella rock (sorry iain but here is where we disagree)

hey e.n. hella (up up up???)

k-krack 12.29.2006 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
Yeah, I got N'Ecoutez Pas, I didn't know they had another :) I'll have to check that out too...

They have three more.

k-krack 12.29.2006 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
thanks for kind words mate.

basically anything on constellation is worth checking out.

so which Fly Pan Am have you got? N'Ecoutez pas, I guess? But the self title debut is a kickass too. Less fuzzy, more repetitive stuff.

Minus "basically," and, "any." Plus "every."

k-krack 12.29.2006 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterthefact
I got the Fly Pan Am, and I just got a Silver Mt. Zion cd too, but I lost it! I was so pissed. I know it's in my car somewhere, but it's such a mess... I'll have to do some major cleaning to find it. I've never heard of Shalabi Effect before, and your taste is music has always been choice, so I'll check that out, since my CD buying venture has moved to tonight...

Shalabi Effect rock, but are not on cst. Another one that's involved, but not on, cst, Set Fire To Flames. Both awesome.

PAULYBEE2656 12.29.2006 03:31 PM

speaking of he awesome constellation.. the new do make say think album "you, youre a history in rust" is great.......