Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Swans (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23852)

leakyheadboy 07.29.2008 08:19 AM

Swans

Was wondering which swans albums you guys liked? i way like filth as a whole album but i think a lot of their later stuff is only carried by the odd stand out track... also anyone else had difficulty getting friends into them... when i put filth on people get a little scared :(

MellySingsDoom 07.29.2008 08:34 AM

There can be only one - "Cop":

leakyheadboy 07.29.2008 08:40 AM

argh i dont have that... i have
filth/body to body job to job
the burning world
the great annihilator
swans are dead
various failures
world of skin
and
white light from the mouth of infinity

i also have the latest angels of light lp which is pretty good if a little dull at points

leakyheadboy 07.29.2008 08:40 AM

is it online anywhere?

batreleaser 07.29.2008 08:40 AM

i love love love filth. i love love love cop. i love love love the young god ep.

early swans was the best. crushingly loud and abrasive post punk post industrial noise minimal hypnotic and did i mention loud? i really like the comparison jonathon kane drew between howlin wolf and early swans. how both have music based around a single simple riff, and then played repatedly to create a hypnotic, and in the swans case, crushing, effect. subsequently gira is a big wolf fan.

the so called pigfucker bands in the 80s is very interesting to me. i mean, the american underground at that time was mainly composed of more pop oriented college rock bands, and then the hardcore bands who just crankd up the punk format to 1000. but the early 80s american noise rock bands came out of no where. technically they were post punk bands, because thay would not have existed had punk not already happened. in sound thet were more related to no wave, in that they had higher artistic aspirations as well as operated in atonality, noise, and dissonance. but at the same time, they worked as punk bnds, networking, touring the country in vans, and totally lived the diy aesthetic. and because of this, they were punk bands, and co existed with hardcore, even sharing labels and stages with the hardcore bands. of course the bands im talking about are sonic youth, swans, scratch acid, big black, the buttholes, and pussy galore. these bands in retrospect probably proved to be the most influential.

jesus, im rambling. sorry folks. ive been popping percs like juju beans since i got out of the hospital on saturday, im a mess. swans rule.

leakyheadboy 07.29.2008 08:47 AM

nah thats all good stuff... i hadn't thought of the howling wolf comparison

batreleaser 07.29.2008 08:48 AM

me niether, jonathon kane did

tesla69 07.29.2008 09:12 AM

Children of God is their best in my book.

alteredcourse 07.29.2008 12:49 PM

The tempo of all that loudness is always a bit too knocky/scattered/jagged for me. BANG........BANG . BANG . CLANG ! CLANGCLANG !
However anything loud is perfectly spliced with the deliicate tracks on Children of God. Such as....having In My Garden follow New Mind is absolutely breathtaking and wouldnt be so as nearly if it was just with a bunch of other slower breathy songs,
And, most of the songs at the end are hypnotic. The style just suits me better I suppose .

leakyheadboy 07.29.2008 01:38 PM

"FLEX YOUR MUSSSSSCCCLLLLLLLEEEEESSSSSSSS"

Cantankerous 07.29.2008 01:39 PM

i did not need to see that ^^^^

cop is a brilliant record

Sonic Youth 37 07.29.2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
There can be only one - "Cop":

Yes, yes, and double yes. That one^

leakyheadboy 07.29.2008 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
i did not need to see that ^^^^

cop is a brilliant record

sorry i put filth on and got a little carried away:o

Toilet & Bowels 07.29.2008 02:07 PM

kill the child is my favourite swans record
although the four for one of cop/young god/greed/holy money is pretty great.

Semperet 07.29.2008 03:39 PM

You kidding? Noone mentioned Soundtracks for the Blind? It's stupendous and hasn't dated like the early stuff. Godspeed should have tried to buy up all the other copies of that record after they appropriated the whole thing.

Everyneurotic 07.29.2008 06:12 PM

yes, one of my favorite bands, i pretty much haven't heard a bad swans album, but i have heard some so so ones.

LittlePuppetBoy 07.30.2008 04:57 PM

Filth is amazing.

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 08:07 PM

Isn't soundtracks of the blind a compilation, though? And it's got the atrocious "black eyed dog".

WHITE LIGHT FROM THE MOUTH OF INFINITY is by far my favorite.

the ikara cult 07.30.2008 09:08 PM

I wouldnt be surprised if Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money was what dug the channel tunnel, so relentlessly punishing it be

atsonicpark 07.30.2008 09:18 PM

chunnel?