Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Japanese Noise Rock (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=23385)

acousticrock87 07.12.2008 04:27 AM

Japanese Noise Rock

AMT, Green Milk, Haino, Boris, Boredoms, Melt-Banana...

I've been listening to it almost non-stop lately.

Any favorites? Bands, albums, songs, anything. Most of the bands are pretty prolific so it's hard to sort through, much less remember what I've already listened to. Good to hear some opinions on what stuff is worth looking at.

I'm trying to go through a bunch of my AMT stuff I haven't gotten around to listening to yet. On "St. Captain Freakout" right now, and I like it a lot. Very well-rounded.

blunderbuss 07.12.2008 04:37 AM

High Rise: If you haven't heard them, get the live CD on PSF to start, it's fucking brilliant.
Anything with Munehiro Narita or Asahito Nanjo is pretty worthwhile, actually.

http://homepage2.nifty.com/highrise/highrise.html

PAULYBEE2656 07.12.2008 04:44 AM

afrirampo... their kore ga albu is fantastic as too ios their acid mothers afrirampo

M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W

atsonicpark 07.12.2008 07:18 AM

like I always say, omoide hatoba.

also, if you're into noisey, proggy stuff: korean buddhist god... ruins.. koenjihyakkei.. korekojin... sun kich... soap... demi semi quaver... happy family.. bondage fruit...

Early Polysics is really noisey but still poppy as hell; later is really just poppy.

I dunno, lots of stuff.

sarramkrop 07.12.2008 08:19 AM

I am much more into Japanese psyche rock than noise.

super_charger 07.12.2008 08:33 AM

Zeni Geva

batreleaser 07.12.2008 09:28 AM

saw boris and torche last night, amazing. i cant pick a favorite though. early boredoms i guess.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.12.2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W
M E R Z B O W

I just cannot get into Merzbow. It just all sounds the same to me, which would be great if I liked that sound.

batreleaser 07.12.2008 12:14 PM

as much as i love merzbow, he aint noise rock by a long shot. noise rock bands generally make music that is derived from dissonance, skrony, maybe power electronics, and other sounds associated with noise, but they make honest to god songs. harsh noise/power electronics operate in sound, not songs. merzbow is one of those artists.

Everyneurotic 07.12.2008 12:19 PM

about just a bit less than half of what i listen to overall is japanese.

pretty much everything's being covered already, except maybe number girl.

if you're into the more way out sound of amt, listen to fushitsusha, kousokuya, up-tight, suishou no fune, les rallizes dénudés, etc.

japanese doom is awesome too, corrupted, greenmachine, church of mysery, (dot), coffins, early boris, etc.

PAULYBEE2656 07.12.2008 01:29 PM

i know mr akita aint noise rock... but listen to him anyway!!!!

yeah his stuff sounds quite similar but yet its enthralling.. to me anyway!

try kiiiiiii also, cute quirky punkpop.
shonen knife original cute quirky punkpop

acousticrock87 07.12.2008 02:48 PM

Ruins and Fushitsusha are awesome. I downloaded some Afrirampo and High Rise, and so far they both sound great.

I don't really like Merzbow, either, though. Pure noise music is too much for me. He's kinda like Haino on with all the good parts cut out.

Derek 07.12.2008 03:18 PM

Merzbow hell yeah.

batreleaser 07.12.2008 03:46 PM

early jap experimental psych rock: taj mahal travellers. flower travellin' band. les rallizes denudes. all amazing.

batreleaser 07.12.2008 03:48 PM

when people say they hate noise i usually say something prick-ish, like grow a pair of balls you fucking pussy. but really im trying to say something along the lines of, "dont listen to noise, FEEL noise".

batreleaser 07.12.2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
like I always say, omoide hatoba.

also, if you're into noisey, proggy stuff: korean buddhist god... ruins.. koenjihyakkei.. korekojin... sun kich... soap... demi semi quaver... happy family.. bondage fruit...

Early Polysics is really noisey but still poppy as hell; later is really just poppy.

I dunno, lots of stuff.

i love korekojin, more tatsuya supremacy.

atsonicpark 07.12.2008 04:51 PM

yeah number girl.. they sound kinda like a japanese husker du. produced by david friddman.

and bloodthirsty butchers, who sound like a noisey japanese fugazi.

also can't forget coaltar of the deepers, some of their albums are pure pop, some are the most insane shoegaze ever put to tape, some are electronic death metal.

acousticrock87 07.12.2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
when people say they hate noise i usually say something prick-ish, like grow a pair of balls you fucking pussy. but really im trying to say something along the lines of, "dont listen to noise, FEEL noise".

And that's really what it comes down to with Merzbow. He makes sense if you look at him as a musical expression of violence, and I can stand him for about 10 minutes with that in mind, but after a while it either gets boring or it puts me on edge and I need to turn it off. With artists like Haino, it comes in waves so I can genuinely enjoy it for long periods of time. It's good in moderation but it takes a certain kind of disposition to face it head-on.

batreleaser 07.12.2008 07:02 PM

no, it just means some people like this music, some don't. i do a lot.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 07.12.2008 07:30 PM

For japanese stuff Natsumen is pretty cool. Not really noise-rock but they have some noisy moments. Weird hectic jazz rock stuff.