Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So have SOnic Youth played their last show? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=63197)

jon boy 11.15.2011 01:12 PM

So have SOnic Youth played their last show?

I cant see them ever playing again unless its some huge reunion thing. what ya think?

RanaldoNecro 11.15.2011 01:15 PM

I think it might be over

stu666 11.15.2011 01:20 PM

http://www.prefixmag.com/news/watch-...ert-vid/58691/

nicfit 11.15.2011 01:21 PM

If they do split, the only thing that would bother me is that the last time I saw them live I had no idea that could/would be the last.
For all the rest I'm just grateful.

Lazewski 11.15.2011 01:26 PM

They still haven't done MTV Unplugged.

Pelle 11.15.2011 01:32 PM

Defenitly hope not.

RanaldoNecro 11.15.2011 01:46 PM

What about the Demolished Thoughts tour?

Genteel Death 11.15.2011 01:53 PM

They should go. I wasn't expecting to read the sort of things that have been floating around the internet though. Utter respect one way or another.

jon boy 11.15.2011 02:01 PM

i think they probably have as i cant see them doing a 'this is our final tour' moneymaker. they all have their own projects so they will probably work on those from now on. they have been downhill for a good few years now so its probably time to let it go.

noisereductions 11.15.2011 02:03 PM

If that was their last show, I feel like it's weird it wsn't in NYC.

Genteel Death 11.15.2011 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
If that was their last show, I feel like it's weird it wsn't in NYC.

VU's last gig wasn't in NYC either. They decided that the city hated them. Who can tell about these things, if not the band themselves?

nicfit 11.15.2011 03:23 PM

Plus, I'm afraid nothing could beat the setlist they put up for the last NYC gig they did.

noisereductions 11.15.2011 03:23 PM

yeah. I don't know. I guess I just feel like it being anywhere but NYC is sort of like... oh... that's it? It's over? Doesn't feel "real" or official to me. Who knows if it's true anyway.

jennthebenn 11.15.2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Plus, I'm afraid nothing could beat the setlist they put up for the last NYC gig they did.

Beautiful, epic, wondrous, stupendous. If that's the last Sonic Youth show I attended, it was my honor to stand in that crowd on that night.

rocky 11.15.2011 03:33 PM

It's hard to say! I am not sure it is fair to say whether one concert was ''the last one'' or not because, in almost all cases they play every concert as though it is their last. : ) Every concert they have played could have been their last in a parallel reality. :0

I guess about making new albums, they are not sure if they would be allowed to put out something really strange, which Thurston was discussing earlier this year. We would let them :) But maybe they are not sure which direction to take and would rather put off making the decision, and give Lee the spotlight for what sounds like a beautiful... and long awaited by fans and others alike ...record!

Genteel Death 11.15.2011 03:45 PM

Splitting up is a good thing in that they may decide to put a little more effeort in a lot of this rubbish they create solo. Thurston Moore, for instance, could start with learning how to play the acoustic guitar before he tries making psych folk records.

Genteel Death 11.15.2011 03:48 PM

Kim Gordon could do with learning about painting and stop producing work similar to fucking Sylvester Stallone in his conceptual phase too.

scott v 11.15.2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Splitting up is a good thing in that they may decide to put a little more effeort in a lot of this rubbish they create solo. Thurston Moore, for instance, could start with learning how to play the acoustic guitar before he tries making psych folk records.

hmmm, where's your album? did Drag City come knocking at your door to release some of your wonderful unheard of shit? wow get real dude.

Genteel Death 11.15.2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott v
hmmm, where's your album? did Drag City come knocking at your door to release some of your wonderful unheard of shit? wow get real dude.

As it happens, I'll never want ANY deal. Come say that to my face if you got balls.

jon boy 11.16.2011 08:13 PM

i would like to see thurston work on more electric jazz collaborations and noise than acoustic stuff because the folk stuff he is doing is so dull it hurts. i saw him a month or so ago and it was just painful. i left.