Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Tarot (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31448)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 10:25 AM

The Tarot

I've been studying the Tarot lately, and even picked up this book from the library:

I'm quite surprised by the legitimacy of it all, and was expecting a lot more "hocus pocus" than there is. As soon as I discovered that Tarot was more about self-definition, and guiding free will based off of Jungian archetypes, rather than foreseeing the future; I was hooked.

However, I accidentally forgot to purchase a beginner's deck, and went straight ahead and purchased "Tarot of the Dead", based off of Mexico's Día de los Muertos. This is troublesome though, for it's very difficult to interpret or remember the symbolism of the deck's vague, minor arcana cards.

I understand what each suit represents (intelligence, emotion, action, wealth) but can't figure out a quick way to remember what each particular number of each suit means.

Judging from DannyHimself's avatar, there has to be at least one other person on this board interested in the Tarot, and I'm assuming a few others are too.

So, let's discuss.

atsonicpark 05.21.2009 10:26 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about the Holy Mountain. I love that scene in the tarot room with the spinning floor. ANYWAY..

Yeah, the tarot's interesting to me too. All I know about it is from wikipedia, though.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 10:28 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8vltSs8P1Q

Better?

phoenix 05.21.2009 10:31 AM

every deck is different and I dont know that one..

generally speaking if it has a major and minor arcana in the same numbers as the common standard deck types, then the numbers corresponding will be the same, with just different items changed in for cups, pentacles/discs, wands, and swords.. and meanings could be drawn from that.

A lot of tarot is bonding with your deck though, and if it is non standard cards then you will just need to read what the author has suggested, and then start drawing your own meanings which will become more constant as you get to know them and work with them more.

atsonicpark 05.21.2009 10:32 AM

THE TAROT WILL TEACH YOU HOW TO CREATE A SOUL.

Great.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
every deck is different and I dont know that one..

generally speaking if it has a major and minor arcana in the same numbers as the common standard deck types, then the numbers corresponding will be the same, with just different items changed in for cups, pentacles/discs, wands, and swords.. and meanings could be drawn from that.

Yes, I understand that. In my deck: pens=wands, pistols=swords, coffins=cups, reels=pentacles. But the cards themselves are as symbolic as a deck of playing cards. So, until I memorize each of the 56 meanings for each minor card...am I basically fucked? Or is there a pattern of some sort?

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoenix
A lot of tarot is bonding with your deck though, and if it is non standard cards then you will just need to read what the author has suggested, and then start drawing your own meanings which will become more constant as you get to know them and work with them more.

Yes, my deck's based on acknowledging death as part of the circle of life. Hence the spooky skeletons.

demonrail666 05.21.2009 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
I've been studying the Tarot lately, and even picked up this book from the library:

I'm quite surprised by the legitimacy of it all, and was expecting a lot more "hocus pocus" than there is. As soon as I discovered that Tarot was more about self-definition, and guiding free will based off of Jungian archetypes, rather than foreseeing the future; I was hooked.

However, I accidentally forgot to purchase a beginner's deck, and went straight ahead and purchased "Tarot of the Dead", based off of Mexico's Día de los Muertos. This is troublesome though, for it's very difficult to interpret or remember the symbolism of the deck's vague, minor arcana cards.

I understand what each suit represents (intelligence, emotion, action, wealth) but can't figure out a quick way to remember what each particular number of each suit means.

Judging from DannyHimself's avatar, there has to be at least one other person on this board interested in the Tarot, and I'm assuming a few others are too.

So, let's discuss.

That's a really nice set. In terms of using them, it's basically what Phoenix said: so long as there's the standard 78 cards (22 major, 56 minor arcana) you'll be fine, just a case of trying to memorise their meaning basically. It might be an idea to get a cheap deck using more standard symbols based on the Tarot de Marseilles. these are the symbols that most other tarot decks are based on, so once you've memorised that style, other versions will become a lot simpler.

A really good book if you want to delve deeper is this one.

Oh, and here's what I mean by the tarot de marseilles set (only showing its major arcana):

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 11:22 AM

I was considering that, but I'm a poor son of a bitch,and have to work with what I have, for the time being.

I'll definitely seek out that book, as well.

PS: I could've sworn Danny had 'The Hanged Man" avatar. I apologize for getting the 2 of you mixed up. So many damn D's on this board.

demonrail666 05.21.2009 11:28 AM

just cross-reference them online if you can't get a marseilles deck. Where did you get your day of the dead set, btw? It's really nice.

I'm after a Crowley set at the moment. Much closer to the marseilles set with really nice symbols:

floatingslowly 05.21.2009 11:41 AM

(^^^ I read that first one as Knight of Dicks)

I would be interested in seeing the type of reading I would get from demonrail.

granted, he may not "know me" very well, but phoenix had me hanged. :(

inb4 phoenix explains that this is my fault and not her's.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
just cross-reference them online if you can't get a marseilles deck. Where did you get your day of the dead set, btw? It's really nice.

Borders books.

But it's also available on Amazon, if you're really interested. Just search "Tarot of the Dead"

demonrail666 05.21.2009 11:49 AM

Thanks. I think I just found them. Are yours by Monica Knighton?

EVOLghost 05.21.2009 12:32 PM

My friend has a set and he did a reading. I really don't know what to think of it.

PAULYBEE2656 05.21.2009 12:49 PM

i ate the death tarot card as a bet once... im still alive... horseshit the lot of it!!!

(..........sound of paulybee getting his coat and running away from the loinclothed leigons of doom and scary rabbits)

demonrail666 05.21.2009 12:53 PM

You would still be alive, unless you happened to choke on it. The death card just means some kind of transformation or change.

jon boy 05.21.2009 12:54 PM

stuff like this interests me, like palm reading etc. i dont think there is much in it and its open to interpretation but its an interesting subject to me.

PAULYBEE2656 05.21.2009 12:59 PM

Quote:

You would still be alive, unless you happened to choke on it. The death card just means some kind of transformation or change.

well i did shit myself doees that count?

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.21.2009 01:41 PM

Yes they are by Monica Knighton.

Quote:

Check out the death card in this deck. I love it.

demonrail666 05.21.2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
well i did shit myself doees that count?

Well I suppose the 'change' in your case would refer to your underpants, so absolutely. :eek:

demonrail666 05.21.2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Yes they are by Monica Knighton.

Check out the death card in this deck. I love it.

I love how they've got the fool as a hitchhiker. lol.