Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what have I been waiting for?!? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11956)

afterthefact 04.05.2007 09:10 AM

what have I been waiting for?!?

I just last night, of the first time ever, checked out Lee's solo stuff. Wow, it amazing. I have Oasis of Whispers. What should I listen to next?

sonicl 04.05.2007 09:15 AM

Amarillo Ramp
East Jesus
Music For Stage and Screen
Dirty Windows
Ambient Loop For Vancouver

When you've got those, come back and I'll tell you some more to get.

gmku 04.05.2007 09:22 AM

I've never even seen Lee's stuff around let alone heard it. I know it has a pretty good rep, though. Generally, I don't get too obsessed with getting into solo work from the group unless it's really outstanding. It's bad enough I had that SYR obsession going for a while.

sonicl 04.05.2007 09:31 AM

Let me put your mind at rest, gmku - Lee's solo works are worth twenty of Talk is Cheap or probably thirty of She's The Boss. Not to mention that they are worth several hundred thousand of (Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star.

:p

gmku 04.05.2007 09:33 AM

See, I have absolutely no interest in those albums, and never had. The Stones alone sucked.

Rob Instigator 04.05.2007 09:46 AM

Lee's side projects are great. They are not really solo albums as much as live collaborations with other free jazz/noise people. He does not sing his fantastic shit on those solo albums. Fuck I love Lee's voice.

I went on a spree last year and managed to get on Ebay quite cheap, most of his side stuff on CD.

I have From here to infinity and scriptures of the golden eternity on vinyl. Those are his "solo" stuff I guess

the ones sonicl mentioned are fucking fantastic.

Broken Circle
East Jesus
Celestial Answer
Out Trios
Clouds
Amarillo Ramp (for robert smithson)
Four Guitars Live

thurston also has a TON of side projects. I am going broke collecting them all!!!!

nicfit 04.05.2007 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Amarillo Ramp
East Jesus
Music For Stage and Screen
Dirty Windows
Ambient Loop For Vancouver

When you've got those, come back and I'll tell you some more to get.

Add "Broken Circle/ Spiral Hill" to the list.

sonicl 04.05.2007 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Add "Broken Circle/ Spiral Hill" to the list.

That one comes in the next five that I would have recommended. It's a bit too short to get in the top five.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Lee's side projects are great. They are not really solo albums as much as live collaborations with other free jazz/noise people. He does not sing his fantastic shit on those solo albums. Fuck I love Lee's voice.

That's why Amarillo Ramp was the top of my recommendations, because there's plenty of vocal stuff on it. Plus, the cover of John Lennon's "Isolation" on there is very very beautiful.

MellySingsDoom 04.05.2007 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Let me put your mind at rest, gmku - Lee's solo works are worth twenty of Talk is Cheap or probably thirty of She's The Boss. Not to mention that they are worth several hundred thousand of (Si Si) Je Suis Un Rock Star.

:p

How many Plastic Bertrand "Ca Plane Pour Moi" is Lee's solo stuff worth? (PS. I remain eternally surprised that Stereolab never recorded a version of the P Bertrand tune).

On the Lee Ranaldo tip, have you seen the footage of him performing with William Hooker on the "Fun For No-One" DVD? Tasty licks all over.

youthoftomorrow 04.05.2007 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
How many Plastic Bertrand "Ca Plane Pour Moi" is Lee's solo stuff worth? (PS. I remain eternally surprised that Stereolab never recorded a version of the P Bertrand tune).

i love SY's cover of it.