Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Who has heard TooL's "10,000 Days"? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1126)

marleypumpkin 04.21.2006 09:02 PM

That shouldn't happen between TooL fans.
I'll make sure that I don't piss you off, but it's not easy. (hahaha)

Neongod 04.21.2006 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
That shouldn't happen between TooL fans.
I'll make sure that I don't piss you off, but it's not easy. (hahaha)

Heh..about two days ago I went from just another poster to being an asshole. It's much more fun this way and it was a conscious decision. But seriously, the album gets better? I hope so. I was the one supporting them when everyone said Lateralus was a let down (I still love it to this day).

marleypumpkin 04.21.2006 09:34 PM

It's always mind boggeling to me whenever I hear people say "Lateralus" was a let down. Trust me, it wasn't at all disappointing getting to hear that album at their live show. TooL fan for life, right here.

terminal pharmacy 04.21.2006 11:34 PM

it is fine for people to not like tool but anyone who says they are shit has no musical basis to their argument. tool are technically brilliant players and are filled with soul. lets not bag people for liking good music, lets educate people that listen to the likes of britney spears et al.

and as far as the i like your old stuff better than your new stuff opinions that is fine too but i love lateralus, it is as an album better constructed and written than anything else they have done to date. particularly the title track.

marleypumpkin 04.21.2006 11:46 PM

"Lateralus" the song is fucking amazing.
Well said opinion terminal pharmacy. I appreciate your insight.

Neongod 04.22.2006 12:01 AM

Patient, Reflection, Lateralus....I can't communicate in words how these songs have moved me. I feel sorry for the ones that didn't "understand" this album. I listened to this album as I fell asleep for 6 months. I hope the new one can grow on me the same way. Lateralus was such an important album in my life...
Crucify the ego/before it's far too late/and leave behind this place so../ negative and blind and cynical/and you will come to find/that we are all one mind/capable of all that's/imagined and all conceivable

FRACTUREDSUNSHINE 04.22.2006 12:11 AM

Hey tool can play. The reverend in a "too too" gots style. Jammy heavy stuff is good right? cuz it is!!! I listen to tool, don't get me wrong. Still they are pulling the crowd into a fucked mind set. The vibe is designed to degrade the soul. I'll still rock soilent green tho. But i can only take so much. It's like watchn' gore too much. Worth checking out but repeated use?? hummm

listing to heather angel

marleypumpkin 04.22.2006 12:16 AM

Well, I'll always have respect for this group. I just admire how they make a religion out of playing their instruments. (Danny Carey)

krastian 04.22.2006 12:38 AM

Danny is insane.....and nails everything live.

HaydenAsche 04.22.2006 12:39 AM

I really really dislike Tool. I don't know why.

FRACTUREDSUNSHINE 04.22.2006 12:40 AM

word. ever heard of the dead heads. still imaging a gathering devoted to SY worship as opsed to a tool following. which would ya bring your mother and children to. ps. the GD is poo

Everyneurotic 04.22.2006 12:44 AM

i hate when people point to a band's popularity (or lack of) as an attribute to being good.

i love tool, aenima and lateralus, undertow is kinda meh and i haven't heard opiate.

and the part i hate the most about tool is their videos.

i'm buying the new one when it comes out. any word if they are releasing it on vinyl?

HaydenAsche 04.22.2006 12:48 AM

Their videos are so horrid.

krastian 04.22.2006 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i hate when people point to a band's popularity (or lack of) as an attribute to being good.

Yeah you have to ignore that shit.

terminal pharmacy 04.22.2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRACTUREDSUNSHINE
Hey tool can play. The reverend in a "too too" gots style. Jammy heavy stuff is good right? cuz it is!!! I listen to tool, don't get me wrong. Still they are pulling the crowd into a fucked mind set. The vibe is designed to degrade the soul. I'll still rock soilent green tho. But i can only take so much. It's like watchn' gore too much. Worth checking out but repeated use?? hummm

listing to heather angel

I don't understand how the vibe is designed to degrade the soul. The vibe is very humanistic and loving. The anger in the music is aimed at those who don't open their eyes and see what's going on in the world around them. For example, is this degrading the soul: "I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human."

Maybe you aren't seeing or hearing the emotional depth in the lyrics, it is definately there the way Maynard sings these lines. One lryic maybe to think about is
"Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines. "

Tool are an exceedingly hopeful and optimistic band and wish love upon all, I really cannot see at all how their music can be interpreted as a degradation of the soul. Sorry but I would like to know how you came about this position of thought.

The vinyl is not due until next year.

I love their videos, I think Adam Jones is a genius. All the sfx makeup he learnt under Stan Winston at industrial light and magic really shows, and he also has quite an impressive bio of feature film make up under his belt. Edward Scissorhands for one. Most of the film clips show how people have become extremely isolated and alienated from each other and I think this is the band trying to find an answer for themselves in this way.

Everyneurotic 04.22.2006 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
I don't understand how the vibe is designed to degrade the soul. The vibe is very humanistic and loving. The anger in the music is aimed at those who don't open their eyes and see what's going on in the world around them. For example, is this degrading the soul: "I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human."

Maybe you are'nt seeing or hearing the emotional depth in the lyrics, it is definately there the way Maynard sings these lines. One lryic maybe to think about is
"Don't just call me pessimist.
Try and read between the lines. "

Tool are an exceedingly hopeful and optimistic band and wish love upon all, I really cannot see at all how their music can be interpreted as a degradation of the soul. Sorry but I would like to know how you came about this position of thought.

don't forget that they are also intelligent without being arrogant about it

FRACTUREDSUNSHINE 04.22.2006 01:02 AM

sorry but the opening of the opate ep cold and ugly really blew it for me.
maybey you have never been locked in a cell for weeks on end, naked having to eat food with your hands. Maybey that comment from maynard (i guess)
about the wanna-be was tonge in cheek. Or was it just a oxymorrooon.

terminal pharmacy 04.22.2006 01:09 AM

sorry please explain what being locked in a cell has to do with cold and ugly, im not sure of your refernce to the song. fuck all those gun toting hip gangster wannabes though, but i don't understand what you are referring to. and this definately is not a personal attack, id just like to know your opinion in greater depth.

cold and ugly is about a woman shutting herself off from the people around her and not letting anybody in to have any sort of real communication, which is the wall that is cold and ugly

Underneath her skin and jewelry,
hidden in her words and eyes
is a wall that's cold and ugly
and she's scared as hell.
Trembling at the thought of feeling.
Wide awake and keeping distance.
Nothing seems to penetrate her.
She's scared as hell.

I am frightened to.

Wide awake
and keeping distance from my soul.
I am scared like you.

marleypumpkin 04.22.2006 01:18 AM

"I had a friend once, he took some acid.
Now he thinks he's a spider"
-TooL "Opiate"

I just love that song, that's all.

FRACTUREDSUNSHINE 04.22.2006 01:24 AM

I should just play god and shoot me now.

ok maybey all the people i usally think of as tool fans - the people i know with tool stickers plastered all over, were lovers of other peoples suffering.

Still it all comes down me now wanting to listen to this new stuff. which i will.