Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cover Art Game (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7374)

nomowish 10.24.2006 08:25 PM

Cover Art Game

I might be stoned.

I have a stupid idea for a game. How about we (1) guess what a record sounds like based on its cover art, and (2) find a relationship between the art and the sound of the record (if there is). I'd rather that you only picked albums that have attractive/interesting cover art.

I developed an idea for this while thinking about Slowdive's Souvlaki, which I haven't heard (actually I've only heard the song "Sing"). Initially I thought the original cover wasn't interesting at all since it's just an all-black cover with a small black-and-white photo of the group on the lower-right hand corner.

But, the fact that the band photo is so small is actually kind of interesting.

I thought about how the dominant color black and the small photo might relate to the sound of a rock group performing music in outer space. The music wouldn't be wall-to-wall like My Bloody Valentine's Loveless, but open, or full of silent spaces, so much so that the sounds of your environment might creep into the mix, like Ambient music. I'm guessing that it's full of echoes, as if the band is performing somewhere out of view. Ramble, ramble...

To the people who've heard the record, am I in the ballpark? More important, Am I making any sense?

sun city girl 10.25.2006 05:41 AM

this example is a bit difficult since i have a copy of this where the picture fills the whole sleeve. i guess it's the UK edition?

nomowish 10.25.2006 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
I cantīt play the game with that cover, man. I already listened that record. Great one, i have to say.

Oh, and by the way, Matt Groening, The Simpsons creator, used to criticize a lot of bands based on their recordīs cover sometime in the late `80s. According to him it was fucking hilarious and the bands really were mad at him for doing that. Maybe he was right:D

Wow, someone actually found this relic...

You can judge whatever record cover you want that you think is cool/interesting.

nomowish 10.25.2006 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sun city girl
this example is a bit difficult since i have a copy of this where the picture fills the whole sleeve. i guess it's the UK edition?

You don't have to judge this one; judge whatever cool cover you want to judge.

nomowish 10.25.2006 07:54 PM

hey alex 10.25.2006 10:52 PM

matt groening (how do you pronounce that?) is awesome.

I'd say those colorful records have some... trippy dance music, maybe in the noise vein?

HaydenAsche 10.25.2006 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomowish

Second one is The Sound The Hare Heard

Everyneurotic 10.25.2006 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomowish

spazz carnival punk metal a.k.a. one of the best albums of 2006.