Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Have you ever played (an instrument) naked? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=57321)

nicfit 09.04.2011 04:07 PM

Have you ever played (an instrument) naked?

all by yourself at home or on a stage?

GeneticKiss 09.04.2011 08:58 PM

Yes

_slavo_ 09.05.2011 04:43 AM

i think i did rehearse for a gig once naked.
at home, with curtains sealed.

nicfit 09.05.2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Yes

Guitar?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
not yet; i find it a good idea. but dunno if drummers would agree.

What instruments would you play?
Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
i think i did rehearse for a gig once naked.
at home, with curtains sealed.

Gulasch Noir 09.05.2011 05:56 AM

define "instrument"

Last Monday I went outside for cigarettes at about 2 am, wearing nothing but my pants und a leather jacket. If a female hadn't gone with me, I probably wouldn't have had the courage to do this.

Gulasch Noir 09.05.2011 05:58 AM

Quote:

not yet; i find it a good idea. but dunno if drummers would agree.

This will inspire all your admirers you have here.

nicfit 09.05.2011 05:59 AM

I'd say, since we are in the "non sonic sounds" section, an instrument is everything capable of producing a sound/noise/music.
A musical instrument (of sorts).

Gulasch Noir 09.05.2011 07:19 AM

Quote:

you know i had this thought again about nudism this weekend, because i was very disappointed to hear coming from people who are regulars in the nudists beach, that eyeing is of such great importance to them. i was very disappointed. very.
or when the drawing class teacher had told me once that many of the ladies didnt join the class because we had a nude man for a model. which however, was weird because it wasnt the first time we had a man for a model.
i mean i understand and its natural, but i 'd like if nudism can be viewed once in awhile just for what it is. a naked person.
sorry and thank you; i think you said smth nice to me, but i view this thread like i described above plus with some humor potential.

Eyeing might also be common on non-nudist things, I guess. But I understand, what you're saying - which doesn't necessarily mean, I would not be part of the eyeing party, if I ever entered a nudist beach. But maybe the ostentatious "eyer" is someone who is pretty new to the nudist scene. Who knows?

Gulasch Noir 09.05.2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
I'd say, since we are in the "non sonic sounds" section, an instrument is everything capable of producing a sound/noise/music.
A musical instrument (of sorts).

Argh, I couldn't find a link to Runzelstirn & Gurgelstock's Ass-Trumpet. He is naked and makes noises with his instrument.

I think it could well be, that I have played the guitar in bed wearing nothing once or twice.

nicfit 09.05.2011 11:56 AM

Quote:

what about you?

you=me?

Ah, no, no, never played nude, not even alone by myself...I feel more comfortable with clothes on and with just my hands touching what they have to touch. Wow, so many unintentional sexual hints in this post.
CMNI

knox 09.05.2011 12:52 PM

no, and i don't think i would do it, sadly?

Gulasch Noir 09.05.2011 01:43 PM

So what about posting on the sonic youth gossip board naked then?

knox 09.05.2011 02:32 PM

i do that all the time

nicfit 09.05.2011 02:54 PM

Quote:

not yet; i find it a good idea.

I forgot earlier,
why do you find it a good idea?

I came across a bunch of pics of nude people playing on a stage over the years (and also "witnessed" this live on some occasions), but I'm not sure I "get" what the different performers/musician meant to express (assuming they do, some of the ones I know just got undressed coz it was too hot/they sweated too much) by doing so.

Glice 09.05.2011 06:33 PM

I've yet to go onstage naked. Or become naked onstage. However - it's possible that I've signed myself up to being naked at a gig soon. But I'll be dancing rather than having an instrument in my hands (stop laughing at the back there).

Oh. I did perform naked on a ukulele to an audience of two recently. But that was a joke, rather than an actual thing. [This wasn't a sex thing either, before the smutty minded amongst you get any ideas].

Gulasch Noir 09.06.2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
i do that all the time

Also naked Yoga? I do that from time to time.

Naked naked naked. I remember seeing an ad on TV for an App, which allegedly transforms your Mobile Phone into a kind of "naked x-ray-scan".

Mortte Jousimo 09.06.2011 09:15 AM

I haven´t played naked, but I have seen a gig where the whole band was naked (drummer has a little pants). The band was Finnish band name H.C. Andersen. Next year they played wearing only newspapers (They used adhesive tape to attach the paper).

knox 09.06.2011 09:26 AM

naked is kind of boring.

nicfit 09.06.2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox
naked is kind of boring.

I have to agree with this, to some degree..
I mean, a naked person is not much "shocking" or "surprising" theese days (don't want to turn this into a discussion on the "oversexualization" of ads etc). Except for ODM's drummer, who made his stripteases really funny with his stage banter and stuff, the few times I saw a musician get undressed on stage I thought "oh well, here he/she goes. Hm, ok, please, play something interesting, will ya?". I mean...ok, you're naked. Happy now? Hope you're happy. Hope it works for you. Coz if you made that just for the audience, hmmmm, not a great idea imo.
Can't express better what I think. Sorry.
I'd be curios on the motives, basically, I don't think comfort/freedom is "enough", in a way, coz most of the times artists get undressed while playing, rather than go on stage naked right from the start (if being naked makes you feel better/more free, why not just start naked?).
So I guess for some people the "gettin naked and stayin' naked" process can be part of a "performance" (lack of better word).
I'm broadening a bit the scope of the thread.

Mortte Jousimo 09.06.2011 09:52 AM

In that HC Andersen - case I think their motive was just have a new experience in a gig. It was in a small club and I don´t remember that they would have had any sensationally publicity about that gig.

Now I also remembered that Red Hot Chili Peppers Flea played a gig in Ruisrock wearing only gasmask. I thought then it was quite funny. To me also to be naked is quite natural, so it is quite the same if some artist play his gig naked. The most important think to me is also, how´s the playing in that gig.