Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston Debuted some of his new solo material at SXSW... (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11419)

drrrtyboots 03.17.2007 04:20 PM

Thurston Debuted some of his new solo material at SXSW...

At The Mohawk Patio, 12am.

From Pitchfork:

"I've seen Sonic Youth perform countless times, and Thurston Moore solo several more, but I've never seen-- or even heard, I don't think-- Thurston Moore play an acoustic guitar. Sitting down, even! Joined by SY's Steve Shelley on drums and Sumara Lubelski on violin, Moore debuted songs from his forthcoming solo album in a trance-inducing set that crossed the boundaries between drone, folk, and psychedelia. New tunes like "Frozen Guitar", "Never", and "Friend" were mostly instrumental, meandering down autumnal woodland pathways at twilight. Isn't it crazy that Universal Records puts this stuff out?"

k-krack 03.17.2007 04:23 PM

NICE!!! Fuck, I'm stoked.

atari 2600 03.17.2007 04:24 PM

nazz

greenlight 03.17.2007 04:29 PM

cool.

Brett Robinson 03.17.2007 05:50 PM

he did 3 songs solo last weekend in easthampton, one had vocals. he was running his acoustic thru all his pedals, it was pretty cool. dvd fortcoming someday...............

the one with vocals had a shitload of reverb on it, it was pretty insane; his vox were 5x as loud as his guitar.

dazedcola 03.17.2007 07:21 PM

how far along is the progress of this album? album title? any idea of when the album might be released?

on the subject of sy solo records has there been any word or further notice about Lee's singer/songwriter album? Im really looking forward to that whenever it comes out.

cagedbird 03.17.2007 07:22 PM

do you know that thurston m. played acoustic in the late
90s at the cooler club in nyc? sang too. new stuff.
whether or not it will be re-recorded it was a great show.

schizophrenicroom 03.17.2007 07:30 PM

sweet

on a shallow note, i like his hair. steve looks very trim.

Danny Himself 03.17.2007 07:30 PM

Steve is the man.

HECKLER SPRAY 03.17.2007 07:39 PM

Yeah... Ono Soul. A very catchy song.

Androol 03.17.2007 09:58 PM

saw them today at an instore and the album is supposed to come out in the fall.

had a front row seat right at sumara's feet. got to talk to steve for a few minutes after the show. i talked to thurston for a bit at a sxsw ten years ago, so i really wanted to meet steve this time. he was really nice of course. we talked about this forum a little bit and their next album. mostly tried to pump him for information about that and he said they didnt know what they were going to do for a label with it.

mike watt was there too with joe baiza and i resisted the urge to ask thurston to imitate mike eating nachos. in a quiet moment i shouldve just said "if i go to a booze joint they better have squid."

the kid from bully and hedwig was in the audience too and he was really excited to meet them. i was surprised there werent more people there. only about 50 or so. thurston actually ended up playing five separate times at this sxsw.

SonikJesus 03.17.2007 11:49 PM

Steve rules! Is he going to play drums on Thurston's next album?

Androol 03.18.2007 12:24 AM

yeah im pretty sure

it was so weird going from seeing the daniel johnston documentray the other month and freaking about finally hearing steve's voice to actually talking to him.

Dead-Air 03.18.2007 04:01 AM

Thuston doing acoustic pysch-folk sounds like a good thing to me. I'm sure he can pull it off pretty well, since Psychic Hearts wasn't really that distant from that, aside from being electic and all.

king_buzzo 03.18.2007 04:04 AM

holy awesome.

Moshe 03.18.2007 05:14 AM

GrungeMonkey 03.18.2007 08:58 AM

Has anyone seen the video on youtube of Thurston doing a solo acoustic song? I can't be bothered to post a link, but it shouldnt be hard to find. Its really good. I can't wait for a solo album...

dnorsen 03.18.2007 09:13 AM

i think lee's album is due sometime this year on EP as well. at least thats the impression i got from a. kesin late last year... but don't hold me to it because that was a while ago

Moshe 03.18.2007 10:16 AM

www.saucerlike.com

Q: Can you give us any info about the forthcoming solo album from Lee? When do you except it to be released? Is it collaboration with WWVV?

Andrew Kesin: Lee has a bunch of projects going so we haven’t gotten specific about the project other than that we all agree that we want to do a record. Lee is producing the forthcoming James Jackson Toth (aka Wooden Wand) record but it is a completely different project.

king_buzzo 03.18.2007 10:47 AM

come on thurston! get one of these!!!

keep up with the sonic-ness.