Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic humans? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2180)

Daycare Nation 05.24.2006 10:22 PM

Sonic humans?

Would it bother anyone here if they heard a story about Sonic Youth being mean or not very cool?

I once had a roommate in a band that won a Grammy, and he told me that long ago, in the 80's, they played a festival with Sonic Youth. SY asked to borrow their instruments and then proceeded to destroy them on stage without permission and without reimbursing his band for the money. His band was very poor but didn't wish to make waves because it was after all Sonic Youth.

I don't vouch for the validity of this story, and I certainly don't wish to bring up any bad feelings when my friend asked me not to do it...but I do question in my mind whether this could be true, and if it is true, I ask myself how and why, and what kind of people SY are.

finding nobody 05.24.2006 11:27 PM

if that's true that's fucked up.
some people on the old board were talking about how the sonics dont maintain freindships in which they won't benifet from. i'm not really sure how to interpet that, but it doesn't sound good

LifeDistortion 05.24.2006 11:32 PM

If any band borrowed insturments from another band I don't think they would be stupid enough to break them. That would be really shitty, doesn't matter if you are Nirvana, SY, or The Who. Break your own damn insturments cheapos.

mikec 05.24.2006 11:41 PM

I would definitely be bothered if it were true. They're one of my favorite bands but that doesn't preclude them from being assholes, if they did in fact do what your roomate says they did.

umjammer atomsk 05.25.2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikec
I would definitely be bothered if it were true. They're one of my favorite bands but that doesn't preclude them from being assholes, if they did in fact do what your roommate says they did.

I agree.

But out of curiosity, is there any chance you could disclose the name of the grammy award winning band, Daycare?

soniknirve 05.25.2006 12:26 AM

why would they borrow guitars. don't they own like a zillion of 'em...

SonicBebs 05.25.2006 02:26 AM

It doesn't really matter to me.
I like SY for the music they make, not who they are. I certainly would not recomend looking to rock stars for role models. Most of them are arseholes

whorefrost 05.25.2006 04:57 AM

i heard a similar story about thurston renting an amp during a solo improv show and going to town on it... it was rented from the friend of someone who posted on the old board... maybe they are here?

whorefrost 05.25.2006 04:59 AM

also heard a story about thurston ignoring journalists from small publications after he realised they weren't with any sort of mainstream magazine... this was apparently in the early 90s tho, an era in which thurston himself admitted he had hopes that the band would achieve mainstream success...

porkmarras 05.25.2006 05:23 AM

I couldn't care any less about what they are like as people as long as they make good music and they dont abuse the NHS.If i was your friend and Thurston Moore had just smashed my guitar what i'd be likely to do is to follow his mum and dad around for 3 years wearing an african mask and nothing except for
sexy, girly underwear.Something tells me that he would pay me back somehow.......

Glice 05.25.2006 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I couldn't care any less about what they are like as people as long as they make good music and they dont abuse the NHS.If i was your friend and Thurston Moore had just smashed my guitar what i'd be likely to do is to follow his mum and dad around for 3 years wearing an african mask and nothing except for
sexy, girly underwear.Something tells me that he would pay me back somehow.......

Why must you always post exactly what I was thinking...?

porkmarras 05.25.2006 05:56 AM

you must spread some moisturizing cream on Glice's face before you kiss him on the cheek

Glice 05.25.2006 05:59 AM

'Moisturizing cream'... that's a new one on me.

porkmarras 05.25.2006 06:09 AM

Never had a little pampering session?

porkmarras 05.25.2006 06:12 AM

terminal pharmacy 05.25.2006 06:35 AM

yes who is this grammy award winning band.... and yes it is fucked if they did this, however 100% verification would be neccasary. stories are stories are stories are fiction unless they are non fiction

alyasa 05.25.2006 06:49 AM

kill yr idols

PunkerViolence 05.25.2006 06:53 AM

=/...proof is needed

fishmonkey 05.25.2006 07:04 AM

he should be honoured SY trashed his gear, probably was a shite guitar anyways, SY could have been doing them a favor. nahh only joking really, i doubt the accuracy of this story, i reckon yr man could be exaggerating a little - my friend does that and its kinda humerous.
Like my old Dad says..
"theres 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth"

so we'll probably never really know

SonicBebs 05.25.2006 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
he should be honoured SY trashed his gear, probably was a shite guitar anyways, SY could have been doing them a favor. nahh only joking really, i doubt the accuracy of this story, i reckon yr man could be exaggerating a little - my friend does that and its kinda humerous.
Like my old Dad says..
"theres 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth"

so we'll probably never really know

your Dad knows the score