Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   All The Good Band Names Are Taken (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=39287)

Pookie 04.07.2010 06:49 AM

All The Good Band Names Are Taken

:( .

pbradley 04.07.2010 06:50 AM

I love those guys!

All the bad band names are taken, too.

artsygrrl 04.07.2010 07:06 PM

Iknow, but every once in a while somebody starts a thread about "cool names for a band" ....and many of those names are awesome, funny, or gross.

batreleaser 04.07.2010 07:43 PM

Post Traumatic Sex I thought would make a good band name, but no band mates I've brought it up to have ever liked it.

noisereductions 04.07.2010 08:25 PM

Dick Shivers

demonrail666 04.07.2010 09:53 PM

i dunno. a lot of the bands i hear on myspace seem to have put more time into finding a catchy name than they have writing a catchy song.

EVOLghost 04.07.2010 10:00 PM

I like Teeth Orgasm.

dale_gribble 04.07.2010 11:33 PM

yeah, like circle jerks

atsonicpark 04.08.2010 12:47 AM

I come up with great band names all the time. It's quite simple actually.

_slavo_ 04.08.2010 12:48 AM

you're so cool, Adam. you do everything better.

atsonicpark 04.08.2010 01:05 AM

Um, okay. If you say so. I'm actually not very good at a lot of things, but I'll take your word for it. And while I appreciate your sarcasm, I really am not condescending, egotistical, or delusional in the least, I'm just honest...

..and anyway, this isn't something that takes any talent or skill -- a monkey can (and has) put words together. There's, what, 50 BILLION words, at least? So, what is that -- literally, an infinite number of combinations for those 50,000,000,000+ words?...

The trick is to come up with band names that can be searched on google to ONLY bring up your band's name. When I came up with "Scissor Shock" and "RUINHORSE"... well, look... nothing comes up except things related to those bands. As for Robe., a bunch of bullshit (usually related to WoW) comes up in google, but I made sure and added the period at the end to make it more distinct and important-sounding.

Glice 04.08.2010 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
The trick is to come up with band names that can be searched on google to ONLY bring up your band's name.

The only problem with that is you can have some alright tunes and come up with a band name bygrayvpartynmyrytarm, which is a terrible, terrible name of a good friend's very new band.

atsonicpark 04.08.2010 12:03 PM

that name is so brilliant!

hevusa 04.08.2010 12:20 PM

band names are hard... they have to stand for nothing and everything at the same time.

flophousefloozie 04.08.2010 01:47 PM

My sentiments exactly.

I can't even bring up the names I've been debating, for fear that they will be snatched and gobbled up by you name-hungry babarians!!

Count Mecha 04.08.2010 02:03 PM

I think the best band names are the ones that really accent the tone of the band itself. I also like when it's embarrassingly simple that you kick yourself for not thinking of it first.

Lightning Bolt comes to mind, that name captures the band's tone perfectly and has just a good sound to it.

I have/had/will have again a band called Meat Maggot. Sometimes people will call it Maggot Meat, which is an equally acceptable name. We have only one song, it's never been recorded, never will be recorded, will never have a name. And we'll probably play once every three years. I think that's a pretty good band name.

atsonicpark 04.08.2010 02:19 PM

My best band name was Prick Jagger.

gualbert 04.08.2010 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Mecha
Lightning Bolt comes to mind, that name captures the band's tone perfectly and has just a good sound to it.

To me their name suggest a scandinave death metal band, with epic solo, lots of make up, satanic imagery etc.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.08.2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
band names are hard... they have to stand for nothing and everything at the same time.

I agree, I feel I lucked out with our band name for that reason.

The Harlequins.

So many definitions but the main and most associated one refers to the comic relief, the nihilistic clowns in old italian theatre that really served no purpose except to entertain.

But then you have harlequin baby syndrom, some fucked up disease and that style works more for offesive art and then also harlequin romance novels and etc.

So all in one name you have something upbeat, something downbeat and something in between and really they all have nothing to do with what we sound lke or are about...

side note: Scissor Shock & Ruinhorse are both excellent band names adam! They flow

hevusa 04.08.2010 03:18 PM

The Harlequins is pretty cool dude.

my band's name is Parallel Mirrors.