Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Eternal Entered the Billboard Chart at #18??? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32447)

Dead-Air 06.27.2009 01:41 PM

The Eternal Entered the Billboard Chart at #18???

I just read this on Wikipedia, and it blows me away. Mind, people don't buy as many records as they did in the past, so you don't have to sell as many to chart, but Matador sure blew Geffen away in promoting the band. Their best chart position ever from an indie release!

jennthebenn 06.27.2009 01:45 PM

http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...hlight=eternal

Not doing this to be a cunt, by the way.

Dead-Air 06.27.2009 01:50 PM

Oh, I knew that somebody would have already posted about it. I just find searching for old threads pointless when people will always post things as they hear about it. If we had a moderator who wanted to watch that and combine threads, that would be great, but since we don't the newest threads represent the newest thought patterns of members.

Linking the old thread isn't cuntish though, because the people who already commented shouldn't have to feel compelled to do so again. Unless they feel compelled to do so again...

jennthebenn 06.27.2009 01:52 PM

Good point. Maybe we can hear from different people now.

atsonicpark 06.27.2009 01:54 PM

It's because they're on the verge now.

joe11121 06.27.2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
It's because they're on the verge now.

Hahahahah!

Dead-Air 06.27.2009 02:01 PM

It must have been all those black metal fans rushing to buy it.

atsonicpark 06.27.2009 02:07 PM

You know how Joy Division has been really blowing up over the past few years, with all the documentaries, the film, the re-releases... yeah... it was just a bunch of Joy Division fans who thought, "Oh man, this radical new band with the scary ass-painted cover, just named their album after my favorite Joy Division song, 'The Eternal'! Better get in on that!"

automatic bzooty 06.27.2009 02:17 PM

people saw the cover, thought "this looks like a polar bear getting sucked into a strawberry milkshake... awesome!" and bought it without any prior knowledge of sonic youth.

SonicBebs 06.27.2009 03:14 PM

its suprising how many people love SY and yet how few people i know have heard any of their records

Dead-Air 06.27.2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicBebs
its suprising how many people love SY and yet how few people i know have heard any of their records

Not to mention all of the people who say they haven't done anything good since the '80s, but who can't name a record or song since then...

jerf 06.27.2009 06:04 PM

wow thats awesome, good for them! i thought it might be because all the jonas brothers and t-pains of the world get their shit downloaded for free and dont sell well, while people who respect musicians still go out and buy cds and records to support the bands that they love.

SYRFox 06.27.2009 06:19 PM

wtf they're at #18?! sounds like i'm not allowed to like them anymore since they're not underground
imma leaving right now
see you all hipsters, keep listenin to this fuckin mainstream band

Seandi 06.27.2009 07:56 PM

Maybe there are a bunch of 13yr old kids biking to Target to buy Sonic Youth. That would kind of rule.

GeneticKiss 06.27.2009 09:51 PM

Old news, but I had better start hearing better reactions to when I tell people my favorite band is Sonic Youth...

Typical younger (teens, early twentysomethings) person's reaction: "I think I've heard of them...which song do they do?"

Typical older (30s) person's reaction: "Oh yeah, I remember those guys from like '92 or something...are they still around?"

Gary Black 06.28.2009 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Old news, but I had better start hearing better reactions to when I tell people my favorite band is Sonic Youth...

Typical younger (teens, early twentysomethings) person's reaction: "I think I've heard of them...which song do they do?"

Typical older (30s) person's reaction: "Oh yeah, I remember those guys from like '92 or something...are they still around?"

I was amazed at my boss's 11 year old son digging my SY t-shirt. Apparently 'Kool Thing' is in a Guitar Hero videogame. He likes the song but hasn't felt compelled to buy any CDs......yet

al shabbray 06.28.2009 08:16 AM

even in the german charts the are under the top 80. I dont think they ever were before...funny

barnaclelapse 06.28.2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
You know how Joy Division has been really blowing up over the past few years, with all the documentaries, the film, the re-releases... yeah... it was just a bunch of Joy Division fans who thought, "Oh man, this radical new band with the scary ass-painted cover, just named their album after my favorite Joy Division song, 'The Eternal'! Better get in on that!"

There. That's the reason. :D

SYRFox 06.29.2009 04:09 AM

It might actually be because of Starbucks.

We have to find a cause for this capitalist ploy damnit!

Thin_icE 06.29.2009 05:08 AM

It seems that SY is on the verge after all :D