Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Movies Hollywood Should Be Banned From Ever Trying to Remake. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40496)

demonrail666 07.14.2010 07:52 PM

Movies Hollywood Should Be Banned From Ever Trying to Remake.

They've already trodden on what many people would consider hallowed ground by remaking The Wicker Man so what films would you put on a Hollywood blacklist entitled 'under no circumstances should anyone try and remake this film'?

Genteel Death 07.14.2010 07:58 PM

I'd rather watch yotube remakes myself.

!@#$%! 07.14.2010 08:02 PM

hollywood should nuke itself (that's not a movie, that's my recommendation)

i can't think of anything that would benefit from a "remake". ok except for the fly-- cronenberg's version was way better than the original. so let's say, things that would significantly benefit from improved special effects would be fair game. and only when done by cronenberg. otherwise just make a fresh print of the old thing & put it back in circulation.

more repertory movie houses and less shitty multiplexes. and death to jerry bruckheimer.

atsonicpark 07.14.2010 08:05 PM

- all

Derek 07.14.2010 08:09 PM

Cronenberg movies... I've heard talks of a Shivers remake, a Brood remake, a Videodrome remake.... UGH.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.14.2010 08:10 PM

I can't believe someone thought it would be a good idea to remake Suspiria. What a lost cause.

!@#$%! 07.14.2010 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Cronenberg movies... I've heard talks of a Shivers remake, a Brood remake, a Videodrome remake.... UGH.

what the fuck- nooo! he's allowed to make the remakes. nobody else.

you know the fly is a remake, right? the first one was creepy but ultimately ridiculous. i mean it gives you the willies but you still chuckle at the bad effects.

jon boy 07.14.2010 08:25 PM

anything to do with john cassavetes should be left the fuck alone. i can think of so many films but also a hell of a lot that should be re-made to make them anything like enjoyable.

Genteel Death 07.14.2010 08:33 PM

John Carpenter. You can't repeat genius.

Skuj 07.14.2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
They've already trodden on what many people would consider hallowed ground by remaking The Wicker Man so what films would you put on a Hollywood blacklist entitled 'under no circumstances should anyone try and remake this film'?

Remember when Nic Cage was good? Sigh.....

Anyway......they should never try and remake anything by Godard, Fellini, or Bergman, for starters. :D

automatic bzooty 07.14.2010 09:52 PM

most, if not all, movies.

terminal pharmacy 07.14.2010 10:04 PM

they should not remake 100% of movies

Count Mecha 07.14.2010 11:25 PM

Taxi Driver and uh...Night of the Hunter.

atsonicpark 07.15.2010 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Remember when Nic Cage was good? Sigh.....

Bad Lieutenant reboot was recent and he was great in that. Kick-ASs was recent and he was good in that. He was good in the Bangkok Dangerous remake. He RULED in Weather Man and Matchstick Men. He's made a few shit films, but who hasn't?...

knox 07.15.2010 01:53 AM

why should people remake films to begin with?

jon boy 07.15.2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

scripts already done, fanbase already in place to see it, hardly ever done for artistic merits.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.15.2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Bad Lieutenant reboot was recent and he was great in that. Kick-ASs was recent and he was good in that. He was good in the Bangkok Dangerous remake. He RULED in Weather Man and Matchstick Men. He's made a few shit films, but who hasn't?...

Yes, Nic Cage still has it where it counts. I honestly like where his career has headed. He still surprises me with the wild roles he chooses, that's definitely worth something.

demonrail666 07.15.2010 02:32 AM

Apocalypse Now.

Bring in Bruckheimer to produce, up the 60s retro-rock soundtrack, cast Will Smith in the Willard role and get Jack Black to do the Dennis Hopper bit, while Daniel Day Lewis does his best to transform Bill the Butcher into Colonel Kurtz. You just know Hollywood's atleast thinking about it.

atsonicpark 07.15.2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Yes, Nic Cage still has it where it counts. I honestly like where his career has headed. He still surprises me with the wild roles he chooses, that's definitely worth something.

Yeah, Cage is one of the best actors we've got, up there with Walken, Oldman, DeNiro, and Keitel. All those men have seen better days, but hell, the mainstream movie industry has been in decline since the late 70's..

Derek 07.15.2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knox