Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I'm listening to Timeless by Goldie (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35192)

_slavo_ 10.09.2009 01:50 PM

I'm listening to Timeless by Goldie

and what a fantastic album it was.

any thoughts? memories? anything?

wellcharge 10.09.2009 03:32 PM

i wish i had the 2 cd version

it reminds me of going curling,not really in a boring way,just that i listened to it while curling

do people know what curling is?

sonic sphere 10.09.2009 03:53 PM

great album. i've got it in the car on cassette and still listen to it quite frequently.

atsonicpark 10.10.2009 06:52 AM

great album!

Sonic Youth Gossip 10.10.2009 07:02 AM

yeah it is really good. too bad drum and bass was only good for about 5 years.
now we have shite like pendulum. jesus.

atsonicpark 10.10.2009 07:11 AM

jam some photek up in this bitch

_slavo_ 10.10.2009 07:14 AM

speaking of which, i haven't really heard that much drum'n'bass in general (some 2 albums by Goldie, some Roni Size, some Adam F, one or two albums by Photek) and that's about it.
can you recommend me some 'landmark' albums, just for the fun of it?

stu666 10.10.2009 10:41 AM

Omni Trio - The Deepest Cut

Bal 10.10.2009 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth Gossip
yeah it is really good. too bad drum and bass was only good for about 5 years.
now we have shite like pendulum. jesus.

thats not true really.
ive been djing dnb for more than 15 years, and even tho nowdays i dont enjoy it as much as i used to, this music genre still has its quality producers.
pendulum is just the 'band' that made it to the charts, and so they got a lots of attention. but still there are people like Calibre(!!!), Marcus Intalex, D Bridge etc who still make very soulful and enjoyable drum and bass.

Timeless really is timeless

pop punk will eat itself 10.11.2009 02:06 AM

I love the section that begins at the 12:50 mark on the title track: a really lush and breezy synth line comes into play for about a minute, but then out of nowhere this incredibly eerie string(?) sample begins and drowns out everything -- tension builds, the vocalist warbles feverishly, and then a fucking sexy, low-frequency thumping proceeds to dominate. One of my favorite moments in DnB.

Sonic Youth Gossip 10.11.2009 02:09 AM

my favourite is where the drums kick in on it. he's really good at his breaks

h8kurdt 10.11.2009 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
speaking of which, i haven't really heard that much drum'n'bass in general (some 2 albums by Goldie, some Roni Size, some Adam F, one or two albums by Photek) and that's about it.

http://www.plong.com/MusicCatalog%5CA%5CAndy%20C%20-%20Drum%20&%20Bass%20Arena%20Version%202%5CAndy%20 C%20-%20Drum%20&%20Bass%20Arena%20Version%202.jpg
Get these two albums. Bloody awesome they be.

On the subject of drum and bass I went to see Roni Size last night. God was it good. Although saying that, Bug* was a tad disappointing.

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aW7NFSGklM He did this mind blowing track.

atsonicpark 10.11.2009 03:59 PM

anyone got any good acid house reccomendations? Looking for some stuff that's a bit darker than usual.

Toilet & Bowels 10.11.2009 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_

there aren't really many landmark albums, you should try searching for blogs that upload classic mixes from 1994 about to 1998

atsonicpark 10.11.2009 05:21 PM

Slavo, are you on the noise boards? The people on there tend to know their shit, I'd ask on this thread:

http://chondriticsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=75

I'm very interested in some d n b myself, would love to one day find an album that blows my mind as much as modus operandi..

atsonicpark 10.11.2009 05:22 PM

I'll ask for you actually.

Hip Priest 10.11.2009 05:29 PM

It's a very cool LP.

There is an excellent drum n bass internet radio station from Poland called "Radio Nadaje Drum n Bass". Check it out, if you like, or don't if you'd rather not.

Glice 10.11.2009 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
there aren't really many landmark albums, you should try searching for blogs that upload classic mixes from 1994 about to 1998

I'd definitely second that - Timeless is a good album, but I think that the album format really doesn't represent what DnB was about. I don't really have much DnB because I never wanted to listen to it anywhere other than a filthy club where the bass was loud enough to make your liver hallucinate.

Toilet & Bowels 10.12.2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I'd definitely second that - Timeless is a good album, but I think that the album format really doesn't represent what DnB was about. I don't really have much DnB because I never wanted to listen to it anywhere other than a filthy club where the bass was loud enough to make your liver hallucinate.

yeah, i'd buy the odd single (the big ones that came out on CD) but the best ways to listen to drum n bass not in a club (and clubs weren't an option for me back then) were the old tape packs they used to do where you'd get a box set of 10 tapes for 20 quid or something that would have various DJs sets taped from one rave or another. also tapes of pirate radio sessions that would circulate from someone who knew someone who lived in london.

stu666 10.12.2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
yeah, i'd buy the odd single (the big ones that came out on CD) but the best ways to listen to drum n bass not in a club (and clubs weren't an option for me back then) were the old tape packs they used to do where you'd get a box set of 10 tapes for 20 quid or something that would have various DJs sets taped from one rave or another. also tapes of pirate radio sessions that would circulate from someone who knew someone who lived in london.

i have a few of these tape packs and have just started to digitise them. i might upload some.