Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Geffen Shift Affects SY? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=879)

Feelyat 04.12.2006 11:29 PM

Geffen Shift Affects SY?

Here's an article in the New York Daily News about some top brass Geffen changes. Is this going to affect Sonic Youth in any way?

Alex's Trip 04.12.2006 11:51 PM

It won't affect SY because this is there last Geffen record according to there contract.

Everyneurotic 04.13.2006 12:47 AM

yeah it affects them; they are getting dropped, they'll have their hands chopped and their next album will be pro-tooled r&b

p diddy is producing

whorefrost 04.13.2006 04:59 AM

alex's trip is correct, unless they renew their contract, rather ripped is their final geffen CD i believe..

ithinkimissyou 04.13.2006 05:03 AM

I really hope if Geffen arent going to renew the contract - they at least say goodbye and thanks to Sonic Youth appropriately by giving them a decent budget for videos etc. something they havent had for many years.

velvetmonkey 04.13.2006 07:50 AM

I think they should just stay with smells like records. Geffen is over.

Feelyat 04.13.2006 07:59 AM

Or maybe they'll put their forthcoming records out on Ecstatic Peace and have them distributed through Universal? Did Thurston sign that deal with Universal so that he could do just that? Pretty smart thing to do right when yr contract expires, I think.

Kannibal 04.13.2006 12:09 PM

conspiracy theories do rock...

Inhuman 04.13.2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feelyat
Or maybe they'll put their forthcoming records out on Ecstatic Peace and have them distributed through Universal? Did Thurston sign that deal with Universal so that he could do just that? Pretty smart thing to do right when yr contract expires, I think.

That's exactly what I was thinking. It would work perfectly. There's a few other labels that it would be sweet to see them on, but due to budgets, it really wouldn't work.

Savage Clone 04.13.2006 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kannibal
conspiracy theories do rock...

You would think that, seeing as you are a member of the Illuminati.

sonikold 04.13.2006 01:12 PM

majors are gonna die out like dinosaurs... fuck 'em, we don't need 'em.

geffen was better than average, giving SY and beck cool contracts that allowed them to do stuff on other labels and such. but i'm sick of those stupid FBI warnings...

Grete 04.13.2006 02:23 PM

I think it won't affect them

SonikJesus 04.13.2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feelyat

I was thinking that too.

Alex's Trip 04.13.2006 08:51 PM

I think if they go to Ecstatic Peace then they will bring a lot more money to the label...that'd be cool.

schizophrenicroom 04.13.2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
yeah it affects them; they are getting dropped, they'll have their hands chopped and their next album will be pro-tooled r&b

p diddy is producing

Ciara is on a track dueting with Steve.

I think they'll probably just go on Ecstatic Peace.

marleypumpkin 04.13.2006 09:32 PM

Here's to the greatest 16 years that the world has ever known.

Kursty 04.14.2006 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic

p diddy is producing

that would make it to most exsiting Sonic Youth album ever. SY R&B & Diddy..maybe he'll throw in a Biggy sample tooo

guston 04.14.2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

How would that work? The Ecstatic Peace deal, I believe, is a distro deal...do bands get promotional budgets and advances out of distro deals or does a distro deal just entail the label distributing the album paying a lump sum for the right to manufacture and distribute?

Everyneurotic 04.14.2006 11:58 PM

chances are they are going to renew their contract

they are a good milk cow for the label.

and if diddy would produce their album, there's sure as hell going to be a biggie sample; there's nothing diddy hasn't donde that doesn't have a biggie sample

kingcoffee 04.15.2006 09:31 AM

Man, who carew if Sonic Youth is being let out of their contract? Almost any other label will jump at the chance to get SY just because the band has so much credibility. They've remained consistantly popular for nearly 15 years! Maybe they'll be picked up by another major, like WB records. They could be on the same label as Built to Spill and Flaming Lips. Now THAT would be sweet. Oh, yeah and by the way, Fuck Geffen! They have promoted too many shitty artists over the last 20 years. Fuck them in the boothole.