Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   asp's classic albums # 98: breeders - pod (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=48430)

atsonicpark 04.03.2011 06:59 AM

asp's classic albums # 98: breeders - pod

You know what? I never really cared much for The Breeders. LAST SPLASH and all that stuff. Despite some creative skewed pop stuff, I just always felt like their songs never grabbed me... they increasingly leaned towards "half written" or "non-written" songs that were interesting to a certain degree, but never could hold my attention for a whole album.

But this album... this album. Fuck. Where do I start with this album?

Well, there's really nothing else like it. It's got that famous Albini "sound" and that certainly adds to the appeal (very dry, almost produced like SPIDERLAND or something actually). But it's really all about the songs here. Completely twisted and bizarre in places, very minimal -- patient, but brilliant.

It's also a somewhat creepy album... it's also melodically brilliant.

I dunno, I've just always loved this one, maybe even more than the Pixies, definitely more than The Amps/Breeders other shit, and DEFINITELY more than any of Frank Black's stuff.

Even if you've been turned off by the Pixies or the Breeders or whatever before, this album is honestly a masterpiece.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.03.2011 08:25 AM

I couldn't agree more. This album is brilliant and moving in every way.

evollove 04.03.2011 09:09 AM

That moment in Oh! where her voice cracks is alone worth the price of admission. Jesus, I tingle just thinking about it.

dazedcola 04.03.2011 02:10 PM

I love this record it completely instilled that less is more concept in me when i saw this could be the results

samuel 04.03.2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
That moment in Oh! where her voice cracks is alone worth the price of admission. Jesus, I tingle just thinking about it.

Yeah, buddy! Oh! is an outstanding song.

I must say that I enjoy their other albums as well. Spark from Mountain Battles in particular.... Kim and Kelley are so much fun to see live.

SonicBebs 04.04.2011 02:43 AM

the vocals in Iris are incredible too

and Metal Man might be my favourite song of theirs

this is in my top 3 albums ever

TheMadcapLaughs 04.04.2011 05:43 PM

there was a time when "oh" was my most listened to song on my itunes. great album.

batreleaser 04.05.2011 07:18 PM

truly classic record. i keep it in my car always.

noisereductions 04.05.2011 09:04 PM

I really like this. The Breeders are/were awesome.

Kuhb 04.05.2011 09:13 PM

It's amazing to think Kim has been a part of Pixies AND Breeders.. two of the very very best bands ever IMO. Her backing vocals on Pixies tracks are often my favourite parts.

Pax Americana 04.06.2011 05:40 PM

Great album! I love Last Spash too, though. I'm going to see the Pixies in a few weeks. They're playing the entire Doolittle album on this tour so that should be pretty cool.

SuperCreep 04.06.2011 06:09 PM

this is the only breeders album i love. such a great/weird atmosphere. "title tk" is pretty cool too, but it's practically "pod"-lite.

PAULYBEE2656 04.07.2011 08:42 AM

agreed..pod is and always will be a masterpiece!

greedrex 04.07.2011 10:12 AM

listened to Mountain Battles today. So weak in all departments.... Terrible.
viva Pod + Last Splash.
Flush the rest.

Decayed Rhapsody 04.07.2011 12:16 PM

I like the Safari EP too...

loubarret 04.07.2011 12:17 PM

tadatadadaada ahaahaha....

One of my favorite albums also, crafty is the right word.

narlus 04.07.2011 12:21 PM

the sound of the butane lighter at the beginning of "Happiness Is A Warm Gun" is brilliant.

DeadDiscoDildo 04.07.2011 03:52 PM

Seriously, GLorious is the most drugged out perfect opener for any record apphiliated with ex-pixies. Well done.

Oh, is probably the most beautiful song written by a rock band, ever. Her voice is so sexy. Goddamn...godamn...

Fortunately gone is a perfect pop song. brilliant.

Lime House and Opened are two super strong songs as well.

The rest of the record is amazing but those are my favorites.

SonicBebs 04.08.2011 06:16 AM

i'm in a lime house. i am. in a lime house. I'm in a lime house. i am. in a lime hooouuuuse

atsonicpark 04.13.2011 12:53 AM

you know what? Listening to title tk now and it's a LOT better than i remember. very creepy album actually.