Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jimi Hendrix (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=37455)

Keeping It Simple 01.12.2010 02:02 PM

Jimi Hendrix

There's a new album coming out in March featuring previously unreleased material! The material was recorded shortly before his death. The album will also include several songs from bootleg recordings. :)

Rob Instigator 01.12.2010 02:40 PM

what what? I thought all the materia had been mined already! good to know.

noisereductions 01.12.2010 02:50 PM

it's the last session... it sounds really intriguing actually. I'm actually pretty excited to hear it.

EVOLghost 01.12.2010 07:23 PM

whaaa? so it's real!? Can't wait!

noisereductions 01.12.2010 09:50 PM

yeah man. It's everywhere. Google that shit. It's actually awesome news.

noisereductions 01.13.2010 08:24 AM

I'm definitely getting this shit.

hevusa 01.13.2010 02:15 PM

me too

noisereductions 01.13.2010 02:40 PM

"everybody meet Mr. Me Too"

hevusa 01.13.2010 03:08 PM

*lifts hat*

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.13.2010 05:38 PM

this is is best news of 2010! I only listen to the late 69/70 unreleased stuff. It is my favorite hendrix, it is clear that he was more able to express his musical creativity once he broke out of the whole "experienced" scene and got into his own mind a bit more.. plus the Cox/Redding/Hendrix line up was pure magic, and it took 5 years to get it all together.. we truly lost Jimi just as his music was getting beyond innovative.

people who say Hendrix is overrated only listen to Fire and Purple Haze, and even then I am convinced they are bullshitting, even if they have never heard Highway Chile, New Rising Sun, Its Too Bad, Cherokee Mist, In From the Storm ..

as for me, I am ecstatic about not only this new release, but also the CD/DVD releases of the studio albums, since I only have burned copies anyways I could use some new hendrix DVDs..

wellcharge 01.13.2010 08:21 PM

i'm glad it's coming with a dvd, makes it worth going out and actually buying in my opinion

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.10.2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
what what? I thought all the materia had been mined already! good to know.

they had :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
There's a new album coming out in March featuring previously unreleased material! The material was recorded shortly before his death. The album will also include several songs from bootleg recordings. :)

this album is mediocre at best, I am not necessarily regretting its purchase, but it is by NO means what it could/should have been..
essentially this is a bammer album because it is the final shindig with Noel Redding, who had to splitt because his chemistry with Jimi was failing to put it euphemistically...

the highlight is the title track and the legit recordings of the Billy Cox stuff like Stone Free and there is a brilliant rendition of Bleeding Heart.

The Hear my Train A Comin is eh

Mr Bad Luck is decent

horrible jam version of Sunshine of Your Love

not to fly cut of Lover Man

Ship Passing Through the Night is also decent

blah blah woof woof repeat bad take of Fire/Red House..

I also enjoyed Lullaby for Summer though this Crying Blue Rain is just an early instrumental for Its Too Bad (which is a much better tune)

all in all this was not the finished album they advertised, it is basically crap. The new tunes do not have vocals, the audio is terrible and static, the mix-down is usual Kramer disaster (I swear they should not let Kramer do ANY more Hendrix archive remastering because his bad ear keeps killing it :( )

it feels stagnant, slow and uneventful, where as the live stuff (including ALL the material from this album aside from title track) is high energy, exciting and polished. This album is the PERFECT explanation as to why Jimi literally kicked Noel out of the group and replaced him with Billy Cox. The chemistry between Cox and Jimi is dynamite, and it shows in the Cox tunes on this album...

Jimi was a wise man to drop Noel, and if you listen to 1969/1970 live stuff and new stuff sans Noel it is brutally obvious..

I give this record two out of five stars, go get the BoxSet from 2000 if you are looking for legitimate Hendrix Archive material, you will by no means be disappointed I assure you all.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.10.2010 04:09 PM

oh yeah... the DVDs are all bogus publicity stunts as well, they are all just some "Making of" and "Behind the Album" re-releases.. so if you already have these and also the albums it is truly pointless, though I must admit it is nice to see Hendrix albums get a of renewed attention. A 15 year old chick in my class was wearing a Hendrix shirt, when I complimented her for it she lit up and began to excitedly talk about this album coming out (this was yesterday) and it was very very nice to hear kids excited about good, classic music vs just buying a Pink Floyd/Led Zep shirt at Walmart/Khols to sport along side the new Beyonce on their iPods..

chrome noise tape 03.10.2010 06:10 PM

jimi is great and cool ( blues progression with a lot of fuzz and wha expression and so on... ) nowdays i'm more into bailey, firth, or fahey... ( freedom progression and so on...)

Satan 03.10.2010 06:12 PM

jimi hendrix is dead.

chrome noise tape 03.10.2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
jimi hendrix is dead.

:D start a band : "hendrix corpse"

ann ashtray 03.10.2010 06:16 PM

hendrix necro.

batreleaser 03.10.2010 06:30 PM

I just got erect.

Toilet & Bowels 03.10.2010 08:07 PM

realistically if this material was any good it would have been released less than 40 years after his death

ann ashtray 03.10.2010 08:41 PM

There's been tons of great material released years after his death. Hendrix played/jammed a lot. He also had the tendency to want to record everything every time he picked up his guitar.

Things are released in bits, because unreleased material sitting in a vault is as good as money in the bank. Releasing rarities a track or two at a time is a good way to get people to continuously spend money. If everything was released at once, there wouldn't be much to buy tomorrow sans t-shirts/etc. We've learned this lesson via Nirvana (a band everything, according to Krist, has been released by). Still though, it took YEARS. I personally believe there will be more Nirvana (well, Kurt...) stuff released in the future.

Now, I don't believe most of this "vaulted material" is of pristine quality. That much is obvious. But, this doesn't mean it isn't good.

The "blues" record that came out a few years ago was excellent. There were a few unreleased tracks on that one.

The Martin Scorsese blues disc for Hendrix had a few treats as well. The acoustic version of Midnight Lightning was insane.