Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New project - new sound (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=36472)

Florya 12.22.2009 12:03 PM

New project - new sound

Ladies and gents, may I present 'listening mirror'. My new collaboration with the beautiful and talented Kate Tustain.

http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you.

Tokolosh 12.22.2009 01:20 PM

Just listened to all three tracks.

They vary from being densely packed atmospheric soundscapes in Temple Founder to a sublime piano piece in Outside Heaven, followed by what seems to be Kate Tustain's expansive voice accompanied by background sounds of children at play in Wet Roads.

Always enjoy listening to your music. Films for my ears.
Thanks for sharing.

Florya 12.22.2009 01:52 PM

Thanks Tokolosh. Glad you enjoyed them.

Green_mind 12.22.2009 02:29 PM

very nice work, found Wet Roads to be a perfect track in my current mood, quite haunting in a very tranquil way.

Florya 12.22.2009 03:04 PM

Thanks Green_mind! 'Wet Roads' is our favourite too. We've only been working together for just over a month and both come from opposite ends of the musical spectrum, so it's quite surprising how well it's working out. We have another three pieces in progress, one of which is a 45 minute 'symphony'.
Only posted the tracks this afternoon - already been approached by a record label.
My & Kates dream of a studio in the Rockies moves a step closer!

blunderbuss 12.24.2009 03:44 AM

Liking wet roads very much.

Derek 12.24.2009 06:16 AM

Neat! What label?

Florya 12.24.2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Neat! What label?

It's an independent called 'Distant Noise'

chrome noise tape 12.24.2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green_mind
very nice work, found Wet Roads to be a perfect track in my current mood, quite haunting in a very tranquil way.

same . good work . keep going the inspiration .
what was the set for your sound?
have a nice holiday or christmas or whatever.

Florya 12.24.2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
same . good work . keep going the inspiration .
what was the set for your sound?
have a nice holiday or christmas or whatever.

Thanks chrome noise tape.

Not sure what you mean by 'set for your sound'.:confused:

chrome noise tape 12.28.2009 04:56 AM

yeah wrong choice of words!...i mean the "tools" ( equipament ) you use for your sound

Florya 12.28.2009 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome noise tape
yeah wrong choice of words!...i mean the "tools" ( equipament ) you use for your sound

Ahh. OK. Well....

Software is Ableton.
Hardware includes Chimera synths BC8, Bugbrand Postcard Weevil, Voice of Saturn synth, FM3 and generic Buddha machines, found sounds, ipod touch, electric piano, semi acoustic guitar and various ethnic percussive instruments.
Kate supplies the vocals and plays the orthodox instrumentation, I'm in charge of field recording, extreme timestretching, sound generation and manipulation, and atmospherics.

Hope that answers your question. :-)

Florya 01.18.2010 11:11 AM

Gonna post a couple of 'works in progress on soundcloud tonight.
They'll be what 'Listening Mirror' would sound like without Kate's input.

Kate's busy with her 'Laska' demo, which is her solo project.

You could check out her stuff if you want to - www.myspace.com/laskasound

shabbray2.0 01.18.2010 04:21 PM

i am following you

Florya 01.18.2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
i am following you

I wondered where that draught was coming from! :-)

Your stuff is very good Alex.

shabbray2.0 01.18.2010 07:08 PM

thanks...Ive mastered a bunch of that tunes again, and they came out pretty well I think, will upload them soon.
from where do you know who I am in "real" life???
btw, youve got a new myspazzz friend too
hahaah

Florya 01.19.2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
thanks...Ive mastered a bunch of that tunes again, and they came out pretty well I think, will upload them soon.
from where do you know who I am in "real" life???
btw, youve got a new myspazzz friend too
hahaah

Your 'first life' name is on your soundcloud profile! :-)

Glice 01.19.2010 07:47 AM

I like this. I'm not going to give an in-depth analysis as it's a bit long for that and I have things to be getting on with (plus, spouting cack about other people's music twice in one day is a bit much, even for me) but I think you've got a really sensitive ear for subtleties. Lots of discrete dynamics, which I like a lot. Let us know when the record's out.

Florya 01.19.2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I like this. I'm not going to give an in-depth analysis as it's a bit long for that and I have things to be getting on with (plus, spouting cack about other people's music twice in one day is a bit much, even for me) but I think you've got a really sensitive ear for subtleties. Lots of discrete dynamics, which I like a lot. Let us know when the record's out.

Thanks Glice.
That's good to hear - most people miss the subtleties. But I guess that's the nature of subtle! :-) They're the bit that takes the most work - tweaking frequencies to get harmonic rhythms to build, and then keeping them under control can be quite tricky. 'Drone' is too simple a description! :-)

Glice 01.19.2010 08:22 AM

Yeah, I think a lot of 'drone' artists miss that sort of thing as well. It's a funny thing, I reckon you've put a lot of work into things that a lot of people won't notice. And that's by no means to say that I picked up on everything I heard. But you're not quite just relentlessly tweaking either.

I am, however, quite glad I don't make this sort of thing.