Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   uuuuuu - the astral travels cd-r out now on private collection tapes (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=48776)

Derek 04.07.2011 08:33 PM

uuuuuu - the astral travels cd-r out now on private collection tapes

UUUUUU - The Astral Travels cd-r

UUUUUU is Scotland's Derek McArthur. The Astral Travels is a sprawling 75 minute album of lucid guitar drones, flowing through the cosmos at slow-motion-lightspeed. Pretty melodies develop over top of the patient compositions and unfold in a most comfortable fashion.

edition of 42

http://privatecollectiontapes.blogspot.com/

Samples and stuff on the site...

noisereductions 04.07.2011 08:45 PM

how do you pronounce uuuuuuu? I'm seriously asking? How do YOU (derek) pronounce it?

Derek 04.07.2011 09:53 PM

"6 U's".

Now that I've told you, has it made you more interested in hearing 75 minutes of ambient drone?

EVOLghost 04.07.2011 11:46 PM

whaaa? only on CDR?

Derek 04.08.2011 06:33 AM

You can give me the money to press vinyl if you so desire.

nicfit 04.08.2011 07:18 AM

guitar drone?

noisereductions 04.08.2011 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
"6 U's".

Now that I've told you, has it made you more interested in hearing 75 minutes of ambient drone?

more interested? No. But I enjoy drone. So I was already interested. I would hever have guessed "6 u's". I actually thought it was "you you you you you you you"

Derek 04.08.2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

guitar drone?
Yeah, everything is guitar.
Quote:

more interested? No. But I enjoy drone. So I was already interested. I would hever have guessed "6 u's". I actually thought it was "you you you you you you you"
Yeah the name came from when I first recorded a track for the project and randomly punched in uuuuuu as a placeholder. I started using it for all the other files and it stuck, I never thought of it's pronunciation when thinking of it. Most people I know just say 6 U's mostly cause 'you you you you you you' is way too tedious to say haha. It's only $6 if you're in the USA and the package is really cool (plus it's 75 minutes of music, and I write the pieces like songs so it doesn't entirely drone on), so you know, it's worth the money I'd say.

Oh and for those of you wondering, it's taken a long time for this to come together (I recorded it a year ago) and I'm glad it's came together cause this is my best work so far.

noisereductions 04.08.2011 09:27 AM

if still in print next month I'll probaby grab it D. I'm on strict budget for April sadly.

floatingslowly 04.08.2011 09:42 AM

do want.

I pronounce it "ewwwww". it's the sound from stepping of feces, finding fresh roadkill under your tire, vomit in your backseat, a clogged or unflushed public toilet or even the simple fact of knowing that a coworker does not wash their hands.

drone on.

Genteel Death 04.08.2011 11:38 AM

Send me a copy Derek. No money for such releases at the moment, I'm afraid. I will send you a bunch of stuff in return with bitching about things and art.

Derek 04.08.2011 12:49 PM

I'll see how many artist copies I get first (they've still not arrived, damn international shipping). I could easily send you the Robe. tape because I got a massive amount of copies of that, I'm not sure if this will be in the same scenario.

EVOLghost 04.08.2011 01:08 PM

Hmmm Maybe cassette release for this?s?ss

Derek 04.08.2011 01:44 PM

I chose to release it as a CD-R because I wanted to preserve the quality and that there would have been less copies made if it were cassette. I also wanted it to be available to those that don't have tape players (which is a surprising amount of people). I will probably (read: definitely) have cassette releases in the future though.

EVOLghost 04.08.2011 01:53 PM

cool beans.

SonicBebs 04.08.2011 02:20 PM

do you mind if i say it ooooooo?

$6 to the us? how much to london?

Derek 04.08.2011 02:24 PM

On the site if you select WORLD it'll be $8 which is just below £5.

Special artwork of a tiger slut on stock card in every package.

Derek 04.09.2011 05:49 AM

http://deletedscenesforgottendreams....l-travels.html

atsonicpark 04.09.2011 06:09 AM

cool derek save me a copy i'd like to pay you directly, don't you have paypal/

i haven't been online much, moving

Derek 04.09.2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
cool derek save me a copy i'd like to pay you directly, don't you have paypal/

i haven't been online much, moving

Yep I have paypal, will email you when I get copies.

Quote:

godddaaamit

my posts arent showing again

i said:

derek, pretty cool to be featured in not only the best drone site on the net, but one of the best mp3 blogs ever.

whats next for uuuuuu?
Yeah man, it's one of my favourite blogs so I'm happy about it.

I don't really have other plans so far except create create create and hopefully one or two people will take notice haha.

This album is getting a lot more popularity than I thought it would though..