Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=113183)

!@#$%! 08.09.2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
sure that is part of it, but the pie has still been split more equitably since the 1960s so that in general white people have less and not white people have more than they did but still overall no where near as much as white people.

that is part of it. look, i totally get what you are saying. but the reality is we still live in a racialized American economy where opportunity is predominantly defined by race, period.

bringing up the other geopolitical stuff is part of the equation no doubt, but racism remains the driving factor.

trust me, i am letting you in on some white people secrets that they will never say to your face or in your company

You make some really good points, and discrimination is something we all witness on a daily basis, so i'm not going to pretend that doesn't exist.

But i'll suggest that the elites encourage this racialization--it's not just "the people". I mean, i've never been to a country so obsessed with "race."

Like, one day I call the cops to report an erratic truck driver and instead of asking me to describe the truck in more detail the cop asks "what's the race of the driver". I'm like "I don't know, he has brown skin but I couldn't tell you." The cop keeps asking for "race." Could have been a Mexican or a Pakistani and I couldn't tell you though, much less what "race" that was. There's no "Pakistani" race is there? Fucking idiots asking for idiot concepts, codifying an idiot world.

Race is part of the official discourse here. It's perpetuated by the state. Even in the name of promoting equality, it perpetuates the division and delusion instead of teaching people to look at their common humanity. It pisses me off to no end. TO NO FUCKING END.

This is why a white cop will shoot a black man who is flat on the floor with his hands up. "I don't know" says the cop. Because what he sees is not a human-- he sees a "race" that is not his own. That is what the state perpetuates with their little fucking checkboxes. You're this-- not that.

But anyway, humans are like rats-- when they starve they eat each other. So it's a little like that with the destruction of the working class. People get tribal and fight each other. Which is great for the ruling classes. "Keep them occupied and away from us."

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.09.2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
You make some really good points, and discrimination is something we all witness on a daily basis, so i'm not going to pretend that doesn't exist.

But i'll suggest that the elites encourage this racialization--it's not just "the people". I mean, i've never been to a country so obsessed with "race."

I don't disagree with this, but in the American experience race is so important and common because it has been structurally embedded into every aspect of our lives because of systematic racism. As we spend the years dissassembling the racist super structure, (ala The Pyramid by Octavio Paz) we inherently have to come to terms with it all hence why in popular discourse, conversation, and imagination race (for better or worse) has such a prominent role.

Quote:

Like, one day I call the cops to report an erratic truck driver and instead of asking me to describe the truck in more detail the cop asks "what's the race of the driver".

That is different, that was for the police to have a visual description so they know what to look for. Though in truth its also racist, subconsciously to the police can know how to react. If its whites, use the kid gloves, it not, bring the brutality.

Quote:

Race is part of the official discourse here. It's perpetuated by the state. Even in the name of promoting equality, it perpetuates the division and delusion instead of teaching people to look at their common humanity. It pisses me off to no end. TO NO FUCKING END.

yes but that is the state using the reality that race has become so embedded in the societal experience that the state uses race to manipulate people for political agendas.

I for one would love to live in a "truly post-racial society" but before we can ever get there we have to continue to have open and frequent discussion precisely ABOUT race so we can untangle the Gordian Knot and finally be free.

Then we can live with racial identification as a net POSITIVE, as a way to better understand each other rather than divide.

!@#$%! 08.09.2016 07:54 PM

i don't know man, i want to live in the "post" already.

i don't have the patience to wait for the morons to catch up with reality.

this is why i live in the woods. fucking people!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.09.2016 08:39 PM

Quote:

i don't know man, i want to live in the "post" already.

i don't have the patience to wait for the morons to catch up with reality.

Hey i totally know what you mean but reality is we have to do the heavy lifting to bring people to that mindset, and we have to unpack centuries of psychological and historical baggage to do it. again Octavio Paz and all..

Quote:

this is why i live in the woods. fucking people!

careful now, this is frequently where some of the worst of the worst like to hide ;)

!@#$%! 08.09.2016 10:53 PM

Quote:

Hey i totally know what you mean but reality is we have to do the heavy lifting to bring people to that mindset, and we have to unpack centuries of psychological and historical baggage to do it. again Octavio Paz and all..

careful now, this is frequently where some of the worst of the worst like to hide ;)

das racist, man

(i live with the injuns)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.09.2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

das racist, man

haha what can i say know my people ;)

Quote:

(i live with the injuns)

smart plan, I am literally jealous

evollove 08.10.2016 08:05 AM

Does anyone personally know anyone who is voting for Trump? If not, that might indicate some sort of bubble.

Elitism won’t defeat Trumpism

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...856_story.html

_slavo_ 08.10.2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenlight
so can we say democrats are racists as well (i am not supporting rep.)?

let's go for a beer, Richard. send me a text msg

ilduclo 08.10.2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove

nor will lowering our standards to appeal to some LCD voters. Pro gun, pro religion? No thanks for my USA, I am glad that most of the Trumpers are very old, it is well past time for these folks to go:fuckyou: :fuckyou: :fuckyou:

!@#$%! 08.10.2016 09:27 AM

Quote:

Does anyone personally know anyone who is voting for Trump? If not, that might indicate some sort of bubble.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...856_story.html

yes! i posted that in the page before, and we had a discussion about it-- please join

tw2113 08.10.2016 12:38 PM

Probably all of my immediate family since they hate Clinton a lot more.

!@#$%! 08.10.2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Probably all of my immediate family since they hate Clinton a lot more.

how come they hate her? it is her alone or democrats in general they hate?

i'm sincerely curious-- and no i don't wish them death

tw2113 08.10.2016 02:10 PM

Quote:

how come they hate her? it is her alone or democrats in general they hate?

i'm sincerely curious-- and no i don't wish them death

Just very much republicans as a whole.

!@#$%! 08.10.2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Just very much republicans as a whole.

thanks!

there's a bunch of republicans that will be voting for hillary come the election, but some people realy hate hillary in particular. this dude is one of them:

"i hate donald trump but he might get my vote"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.f916429ca22b

this is some 6 weeks old though, so who knows, but his argument basically is that hillary would destroy the "american way of life" worse than trump by giving trophies for showing up or something

this is not my position of course but i'm interested in what people think and why, etc

greenlight 08.10.2016 03:07 PM

Quote:

how come they hate her?

what is your opinion on Hil if I can ask?

can't help myself to think she is lying through her teeth anytime she speak. I do not know why.

greenlight 08.10.2016 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
let's go for a beer, Richard. send me a text msg

fuck yeah. i will text u in the morning.

The Soup Nazi 08.10.2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

this is why i live in the woods.

The Soup Nazi 08.10.2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

can't help myself to think she is lying through her teeth anytime she speak. I do not know why.

Well that's not exactly rational, is it.

greenlight 08.10.2016 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Well that's not exactly rational, is it.

ok, maybe the whole Haiti thing for example.

!@#$%! 08.10.2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

i think she"s a solid candidate and eminently qualified for the job but at the same time she lacks the charisma of a natural politician--more wonk than leader of the masses.

besides, she's quite guarded-- this perhaps for having to have survived nearly three decades of rabid republican persecution. she's the object of so many conspiracy theories i don't blame her for her caution.

i loved to see her breathing fire at the fucking senate after benghazi but i cringe when she tries to be "nice." it's not her nature to be all touchy feely, but the popularity contest that is the election demands it-- shaking hands and kissing babies and that sort of shit.

as for her policy positions, she's not as bold as i'd like her to be, but i can trust that she should be able to deliver on her promises because she's a skilled operator.

take for exaomple her choice of kaine as vp. it didn't excite me one bit, as elizabeth warren would have ben my choice here, but it was an effective calculation to a) overcome the sexism that would have been directed at an all-female ticket, b) go after trump's white male base, c) appease the latent racism of those who want white people on top. this makes the ticket all-around "safe"', and thus the clear alternative to the madman. it's working.

so yeah, im not thrilled by her or anything but i trust that she can be quite effective at the art of governing even if her face on tshirts wont ever become a fashion statement.

The Soup Nazi 08.10.2016 06:48 PM

That old-timer in red got it right away, eh.

evollove 08.10.2016 07:05 PM

Quote:

this is not my position of course but i'm interested in what people think and why, etc

1- An analogy: If I called the cops on my neighbors for no reason every now and then, after a while the other neighbors might be wondering what's up with these people, might see them as untrustworthy, even though no offense has actually been committed.

2- Some people honestly and fundamentally disagree with her politics.

3- She's the one who first approached Bill for a date. A lot of men and too many women are threatened by this sort of behavior, this deviation from standard practice. The "Bitch don't know how to stay in her place" crowd, or the "In my day" people..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

That old-timer in red got it right away, eh.

got what exactly?? Democrats are making way too much of this, they come across as self absorbed and petty if you ask me

!@#$%! 08.10.2016 07:42 PM

Quote:

ha ha ha ha!

i just saw this

YES

but it's more of a juniper-pinyon woodland

Drjohnrock 08.10.2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

got what exactly??

The very strong suggestion that Clinton and any future judges she appoints should be assassinated. The Secret Service--not known for interjecting themselves into petty political squabbling--took it seriously, too. You're likely in the minority on this one, SFAD. If the Republican establishment had even the smallest bit of integrity, they would completely abandon Trump for thinking assassination threats are a proper part of political discourse. A lot of Republicans are abandoning him but the party AS A WHOLE should say "That's it. No more funding from us. No support on the ground. You are completely on your own." But no--win at any cost. Sorry, but I don't think advocating murder against a political opponent is funny or no big deal.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2016 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drjohnrock
The very strong suggestion that Clinton and any future judges she appoints should be assassinated. The Secret Service--not known for interjecting themselves into petty political squabbling--took it seriously, too. You're likely in the minority on this one, SFAD. If the Republican establishment had even the smallest bit of integrity, they would completely abandon Trump for thinking assassination threats are a proper part of political discourse. A lot of Republicans are abandoning him but the party AS A WHOLE should say "That's it. No more funding from us. No support on the ground. You are completely on your own." But no--win at any cost. Sorry, but I don't think advocating murder against a political opponent is funny or no big deal.

is english a second language to you or are you just swallowing the Democrats false narrative. Trump didn't make any such threats. anyone who listened to what he said knew immediately he meant 2 Amendment voters. duh.

that Democrats are making such a big deal out of this i find hilarious. i am just waiting for Gabby Gifford to make press statement

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2016 07:57 PM

Quote:

that Democrats are making such a big deal out of this i find hilarious. i am just waiting for Gabby Gifford to make press statement

oh wait she did. haha sooooooooooo lame and tone deaf. this all just makes Democrats look foolish and self absorbed

!@#$%! 08.10.2016 08:34 PM

this guy. this guy can spin a yarn. sad/funny/sad/funny. good stuff:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...c39_story.html

Drjohnrock 08.10.2016 09:56 PM

Quote:

is english a second language to you or are you just swallowing the Democrats false narrative. Trump didn't make any such threats. anyone who listened to what he said knew immediately he meant 2 Amendment voters. duh.

Is (by the way, the first word in a sentence is capitalized) English (that word is capitalized) a third language to you or are you so literal minded you have to have everything spelled out? You seem to think that just because he didn't come right out and say "shoot Clinton and any judges she appoints", then it doesn't count. He was obviously not referring to Second Amendment kooks coming out to vote. He was very strongly implying that they take up arms. But you seem to have bought the Republican spin that he was only referring to voters--duh. That spin is rather pathetic. If you had been paying attention, you would know that Trump has been doing shit like this the entire campaign: making extreme statements, pushing the envelope as far as he can, and then attempting to backtrack. I noticed you didn't even respond to all of what I said but that's par for the course. You increasingly resort to stupid personal attacks rather than address what other posters actually say. You would make a good Trump supporter.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2016 10:44 PM

Quote:

Is (by the way, the first word in a sentence is capitalized) English (that word is capitalized) a third language to you or are you so literal minded you have to have everything spelled out? You seem to think that just because he didn't come right out and say "shoot Clinton and any judges she appoints", then it doesn't count. He was obviously not referring to Second Amendment kooks coming out to vote. He was very strongly implying that they take up arms. But you seem to have bought the Republican spin that he was only referring to voters--duh. That spin is rather pathetic. If you had been paying attention, you would know that Trump has been doing shit like this the entire campaign: making extreme statements, pushing the envelope as far as he can, and then attempting to backtrack. I noticed you didn't even respond to all of what I said but that's par for the course. You increasingly resort to stupid personal attacks rather than address what other posters actually say. You would make a good Trump supporter.

i didn't intend for my snarky comment to come across as a personal attack. i was being sarcastic. My legit apologies on that one..

i just honestly can't understand how ANYONE even remotely read Trump's words as a veiled threat of violence. sure we have heard A LOT of outright frightening and inflammatory rhetoric from Republicans, but this particular example is just not one of them.

do you honestly believe i "haven't been paying attention" simply because i am being rightfully critical of the Democrats overreaction and exaggerating responses? what, should i just kowtow to the party line now and get it over with?

look, no one has been or will be more critical of Trump than myself, but i REFUSE to put on political blinders and wave the Democrats flag in every instance.

indeed it seems Trump's recent comments seem to be some kind of partisan political Rorschach Test, people will see what they want to

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2016 11:01 PM

all the media and social media are saying it was a threat so damn it we all better just ignore our brains and agree! Lord have His mercy, I see the left is as brainwashed and braindead as the right. Its amazing they are feuding when in actuality they were made for each other. American politics is an amazing subterfuge of petty personality conflicts, exaggerated misinformation, and vendettas, meanwhile those in power from all parties only continue to add zeros to their off-shore bank accounts while the American people waste their energy and political capital bickering with each other over perceived slights. Hilarious really. Sad but hilarious. This is why I have never participated in politics, its a form of intellectual and spiritual suicide

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.10.2016 11:05 PM

Quote:

Allowing them there might actually solve a lot of problems, particularly if Trump is denied the nomination on the first ballot. Trump and Cruz could shoot it out at ten paces. I hope they're both great shots.

OH FUCKING SNAP DRJOHNROCK DID YOU FORGET YOU SAID THIS OR NAH????

_slavo_ 08.11.2016 06:14 AM

Quote:

fuck yeah. i will text u in the morning.

the morning has passed and WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR TEXT?
anyways, I'm free on Friday and Saturday. Let's go get wasted.

greenlight 08.11.2016 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
the morning has passed and WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR TEXT?
anyways, I'm free on Friday and Saturday. Let's go get wasted.

sent :)

demonrail666 08.11.2016 08:34 AM

Quote:

got what exactly??

You might be the 1st person I've encountered for whom Donald Trump is perhaps a bit too subtle in his rhetoric. I was under the impression that everyone, from his opponents to his supporters, even the secret service, knew exactly what he was saying in that statement.

Perhaps the rise of groups like Black Lives Matter, with their chants of 'Dead Cops Now' have blunted your skills of interpretation.

ilduclo 08.11.2016 09:16 AM

Good article by Thomas Friedman on the correlation between these types of statements and the actual assassination of Yitzhak Rabin, same parallels with the incitements to hurt US Muslims and assaults on Sikhs and Muslims, also same with publishing of the vilification of abortion providers and their subsequent murders thru bombings and guns.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/10...l?_r=1&referer

!@#$%! 08.11.2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
You might be the 1st person I've encountered for whom Donald Trump is perhaps a bit too subtle in his rhetoric. I was under the impression that everyone, from his opponents to his supporters, even the secret service, knew exactly what he was saying in that statement.

Perhaps the rise of groups like Black Lives Matter, with their chants of 'Dead Cops Now' have blunted your skills of interpretation.

whoa, man, i'm sorry to report you've been misled about BLM:

http://www.snopes.com/black-lives-ma...n-baton-rouge/

ilduclo 08.11.2016 09:49 AM

Newly christened Republican nominee Donald Trump, however, is comically underperforming even McCain’s awful showing. The most recent McClatchy-Marist poll shows Trump running fourth among 18-29 year olds – behind both Green Party nominee Jill Stein and libertarian candidate Gary Johnson – with a miserable 9 percent. Fox News’ latest poll puts Trump’s support among voters under 35 at 23 percent, just ahead of Johnson. He’s at 15 percent with voters under 30 in the latest Economist/YouGov poll. That’s obviously bad news for Trump’s chances in November, but the longer term implications of having a presidential nominee who so effectively repels younger voters could be a big problem for the GOP.

http://www.alternet.org/election-201...ublicans-years

!@#$%! 08.11.2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

1- An analogy: If I called the cops on my neighbors for no reason every now and then, after a while the other neighbors might be wondering what's up with these people, might see them as untrustworthy, even though no offense has actually been committed.

2- Some people honestly and fundamentally disagree with her politics.

3- She's the one who first approached Bill for a date. A lot of men and too many women are threatened by this sort of behavior, this deviation from standard practice. The "Bitch don't know how to stay in her place" crowd, or the "In my day" people..

you're not talking first-person here though, are you?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.11.2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
You might be the 1st person I've encountered for whom Donald Trump is perhaps a bit too subtle in his rhetoric.

i was not talking about Trump's rhetoric in general, i was talking about this recent and very specific incident. he has said many INSANE and INFLAMMATORY and DANGEROUS things since 2015 and even 2012 when he became the chief spokesman for the Birthers. however all the dust up over the 2nd amendment comments in my opinion reflects massive overreaction.

Quote:

I was under the impression that everyone, from his opponents to his supporters, even the secret service, knew exactly what he was saying in that statement.
yeah that seems to be the narrative.

Quote:

wow. so are you gonna join Tesla and start posting racist stuff now because frankly i am shocked at what the fuck you just said.