Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston Moore, solo & acoustic, plays Schizophrenia (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=96828)

sergisonic 08.17.2013 02:49 AM

Thurston Moore, solo & acoustic, plays Schizophrenia

http://youtu.be/UvNJiULUwRw
Amazing...

sirki 08.17.2013 02:21 PM

This is really cool, but I also find it a little bit strange to see him play this one alone ... Don't know why ... Just a feeling I guess.

Peterpuff 08.29.2013 01:54 PM

Agreed. While it is cool and all, there is a definite bittersweetness to it.

Toilet & Bowels 08.29.2013 05:41 PM

Does he think he's Brian Adams or something?

deflinus 08.30.2013 08:11 PM

haha

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.30.2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirki
This is really cool, but I also find it a little bit strange to see him play this one alone ... Don't know why ... Just a feeling I guess.

I used to play Schizophrenia solo all the time, Thurston's parts and that song work find by themselves, though I never dreamed of trying it acoustic like that! Epic!!!

In a weird way, sonic youth getting jacked for all their guitars was a blessing in disguise. Its what motivated them to start writing their music on acoustics, and its why all the records after Murray Street distinctively sound more constructed and conventionally musical. They were written on acoustics which mean they must rely more on structure and melody rather than noise or feedback. Acoustic music must be precise. I often like to play Sonic Nurse stuff solo on Acoustic too, the rhythm parts, whether for Lee or Thurston tunes are cool solo-acoustic...

I really dig that link! Thanks to the OP!!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 08.30.2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Does he think he's Brian Adams or something?

Fucking hilarious. Hey whatever works though. Jerry Garcia changed the way he played Friend of the Devil from the fast, country/blue grass sort of version of the original to a slow, hypnotic, almost dirge. What was the inspiration? That is the way KENNY LOGGINS COVERED IT!!!!

danlynch 09.06.2013 01:20 PM

Thurston is playing live at Hopscotch Festival in a couple of hours. The show is the Threelobed Day Showcase, and its Thurston's only performance at the Fest. The set is streaming live on wxdu.org and the sound is being mixed and streamed by acidjack from nyctaper.com

noisereductions 09.06.2013 07:08 PM

this makes me so sad.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.06.2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
this makes me so sad.

Why? I thought it was fantastic!! Music should be versatile, its fuckin amazing that a minimalist, feedback oriented song could so readily translate into a solo-acoustic (i.e. coffee shop) style.

Its not a surprise, again, I used to play Sonic Nurse material solo-acoustic in the same style, at coffee shops no less, but its still fantastic to hear Thurston doing it instead of me ;)

Jeremy 09.07.2013 02:35 AM

Really, really enjoyed this. It doesn't even depress me seeing him perform an SY song like I thought it might.

What other songs do you think he could do though? I think Unmade Bed would sound pretty incredible, personally.

_tunic_ 09.07.2013 06:53 AM

if you search further on youtube there are a couple more clips, apparently he has performed there more often

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.07.2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
Really, really enjoyed this. It doesn't even depress me seeing him perform an SY song like I thought it might.

What other songs do you think he could do though? I think Unmade Bed would sound pretty incredible, personally.

Stones sounds EPIC when I play it acoustic. Also Sunday.

noisereductions 09.07.2013 07:03 PM

I thought it was fantastic too suchfriends.

(Fuck. I've known you how many years? What's your first name already? You know I'm Brad right?)

The sad thing... it's cuz it is so fantastic. But it also sounds... like a whole new thing. It sounds like the band is really gone. It sounds like THIS is this really sad audible memory of the band. It sounds like this is what we have now. As pretty as what we have now is, it's a reminder of our bygone years.

I feel sad. I feel that an era has escaped us. I feel we're all getting older. I feel that we cannot hold onto the past. I feel that we don't know what the future holds.

Of course we don't. But there was a time, not that long ago, that we could rationally think that the immediate future always promised a new SY album.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.07.2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
I thought it was fantastic too suchfriends.

(Fuck. I've known you how many years? What's your first name already? You know I'm Brad right?)

Yes Brad, I'm Habte Selassie by the way, though I keep it gutter, most folks I know don't go by given names but monikers, so I always just think of you as noisereductions.. I used to go by Wise from the MH Krew and Jah Chris Naphtali (which is how like 30 people in Trinidad and Jamaica still only know me, I got a rep there apparently) until I became Habte Selassie. Now that's me :)

Yes, I consider you a real friend by the way, not merely an internet friend 1990s AOL style.

Quote:

The sad thing... it's cuz it is so fantastic. But it also sounds... like a whole new thing. It sounds like the band is really gone. It sounds like THIS is this really sad audible memory of the band. It sounds like this is what we have now. As pretty as what we have now is, it's a reminder of our bygone years.

I feel sad. I feel that an era has escaped us. I feel we're all getting older. I feel that we cannot hold onto the past. I feel that we don't know what the future holds.

Of course we don't. But there was a time, not that long ago, that we could rationally think that the immediate future always promised a new SY album.

Quote:

Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era — the kind of peak that never comes again. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

. .
You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . . So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

By the way, an era hasn't escaped us. Life evolves, progresses, changes, that's the fun part. Even Sonic Youth was an evolving art, and I think as people they'd be upset that we Sonic Youth fans might somehow find their current projects less interesting. Do I necessarily listen to the other things as much as Sonic Youth music? No. But I dig that they're still doing new things, keep it going in their way, as musicians always do.

noisereductions 09.07.2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
My name is Habte Selassie :)

Yes, I consider you a real friend by the way, not merely an internet friend 1990s AOL style.

By the way, an era hasn't escaped us. Life evolves, progresses, changes, that's the fun part. Even Sonic Youth was an evolving art, and I think as people they'd be upset that we Sonic Youth fans might somehow find their current projects less interesting. Do I necessarily listen to the other things as much as Sonic Youth music? No. But I dig that they're still doing new things, keep it going in their way, as musicians always do.

Habte is pronounced "hab-tay", yeah?

And yeah dood. A bunch of you. We knew each other for years. it's legit friendship. There's a small circle of you guys that have kept me coming back here year after year just cuz we've known each other so long. It's crazy. You know I've always thought highly of you man, even when we butt heads on musical taste or whatever, it's always whatever. You're my boy.

I feel you on the whole progression thing. And it's not that. Exactly...

I'll be honest, I didn't like the kim/thurston/yoko album at all. But whatever. They always did non-SY stuff like that.

It's not that I'm not supporting. I mean. I've been paying attention to SY post-SY. But more than anything it makes me sad. It's hard for me to hear it and not hear change. I thought the Chelsea Light Moving album was really good actually. But mostly when I listen, I just feel upset that this wasn't a SY album. I imagine "how would THEY have attacked these same song skeletons?"

I'm just not good with change though. That's fact. That's real life. I hate change.

hipster_bebop_junkie 09.07.2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danlynch
Thurston is playing live at Hopscotch Festival in a couple of hours. The show is the Threelobed Day Showcase, and its Thurston's only performance at the Fest. The set is streaming live on wxdu.org and the sound is being mixed and streamed by acidjack from nyctaper.com

Did anyone captured the stream?

djerdap 09.08.2013 02:02 AM

Great. It would be awesome if somebody much more talented than me could tab this.

Oh, and filmed by Eva Prinz, eh? Heh.

Magic Wheel Memory 09.11.2013 09:13 PM

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed listening to this!

On a down note, it made me imagine myself many years from now, either senile or in a coma or somehow unable to remember my past. And then I hear this music, and while I don't exactly recognize it, it does seem vaguely, hauntingly familiar, and it's the first sensory input in many months that elicits any sort of response from me. And then I fade away to begin my journey home...

Sorry! I know that sounds depressing, but that's how it made me feel.

Who here likes cheeseburgers?! And beer!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 09.11.2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djerdap
Great. It would be awesome if somebody much more talented than me could tab this.

Oh, and filmed by Eva Prinz, eh? Heh.

Its already covered, by the way, playing Schizophrenia is probably my favorite Sonic Youth song to cover, that and Stones.

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/tab/tabs.html#sis