Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Favourite The Notwist record ? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13804)

Torn Curtain 06.09.2007 03:52 PM

Favourite The Notwist record ?

Mine is Shrink.

Torn Curtain 06.10.2007 09:08 AM

Bump.

sarramkrop 06.10.2007 09:14 AM

I only know Neon Golden and a few songs on compilations. What does the rest sound like? I've bought Neon Golden simply because I had one of those one-track promo cds and liked the song.

Torn Curtain 06.10.2007 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I only know Neon Golden and a few songs on compilations. What does the rest sound like? I've bought Neon Golden simply because I had one of those one-track promo cds and liked the song.

Shrink is jazzier in feel, 12 is noisier, the first two records are hardcore / thrash metal influenced (the sound is very different from what they do now, it was more like a mix between Dinosaur JR, early Metallica and hardcore. I'm not a fan of that period, in my opinion they started being good with 12). The Lichter E.P. is a movie soundtrack, it's 4 instrumentals which are variations on the same music, it's more ambient in feel.

sarramkrop 06.10.2007 09:34 AM

Many thanks. I'll try to check someof their other stuff out. Do you like To Rococo Rot?

Torn Curtain 06.10.2007 09:39 AM

Quote:

Do you like To Rococo Rot?

I've only heard a few songs (which sounded good). Are you into them too ?

sarramkrop 06.10.2007 09:47 AM

Yeah, at one point I was massively into them. I've once chatted to them and they laughed because I asked them about a few 7'' releases and they said that I knew more about them than they did. What a geek, I am!. There is a connection about the two bands, isn't there? And , no, it's not the fact that they are both German (erm.....are they?).

o o o 06.10.2007 10:15 AM

i only know shrink and neon golden, and my favourite is neon golden. i haven't heard shrink in a long time (i don't own it), but the song 'Chemicals' pops into my mind quite regularly...

Quote:

There is a connection about the two bands, isn't there? And , no, it's not the fact that they are both German (erm.....are they?).

i don't think there really is a connection between the two, but maybe you are thinking of Lali Puna (one of The Notwist's Acher brothers also plays in Lali Puna)?

Stijn 06.10.2007 03:31 PM

Where I start with the Notwist?

Torn Curtain 06.10.2007 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stijn
Where I start with the Notwist?

I'd say 12 or Neon golden.

Torn Curtain 06.10.2007 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
Quote:

There is a connection about the two bands, isn't there? And , no, it's not the fact that they are both German (erm.....are they?).

i don't think there really is a connection between the two, but maybe you are thinking of Lali Puna (one of The Notwist's Acher brothers also plays in Lali Puna)?

I don't think either, however the bands very probably know and respect each other (yes they're both German).

EDIT: I've just found that To Rococo Rot have remixed a Lali Puna song (Lali Puna are Markus Acher's side project).

o o o 06.10.2007 03:53 PM

(in fact, there are quite a few bands/projects directly connected to the Notwist: Console, Ms. John Soda, Tied Tickled Trio... probably others, but i'm less fond of their work... Lali Puna, I really like. Well, I remember Console having some good songs too)

o o o 06.10.2007 04:08 PM

I remember seeing the last 15 minutes of a To Rococo Rot set at a festival a long time ago and liking it very much. But I haven't checked any of their records since. Just a few tracks here and there, which I all liked, I think (but without really prompting me to investigate more, I guess).

Any particular recommendations?

_slavo_ 06.11.2007 02:07 AM

Neon Golden for me.

"One With the freaks" is one of my ever favourite tracks.

Torn Curtain 06.12.2007 05:18 PM

There's a DVD of a documentary made during the recording of Neon Golden, "On/off the record". It's in German with English subtitles and it's great.

Trailer there (without subtitles): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl02t54b8Ok

Torn Curtain 06.14.2007 05:18 AM

Bump.

Torn Curtain 06.16.2007 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o o o
(in fact, there are quite a few bands/projects directly connected to the Notwist: Console, Ms. John Soda, Tied Tickled Trio... probably others, but i'm less fond of their work... Lali Puna, I really like. Well, I remember Console having some good songs too)

I don't like Console as much as The Notwist, but I really like his cover of Starpower.

o o o 06.17.2007 11:47 AM

I haven't heard that cover, although I actually noticed that there was a song called "Starpower" on his latest album (haven't heard that album, will try to).

Torn Curtain 08.29.2007 04:39 PM

Bump

Torn Curtain 12.22.2007 04:40 PM

Does anyone have info on the release date of the new record ?