Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 02.22.2016 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Sighs.. pepper you keep pointing out all the reasons i didn't dig Yeezus

^ No pussy lyrics for SFAD? How do you even listen to hip-hop man?

noisereductions 02.22.2016 09:30 PM

Yeah Young Thug sucks. None of us are into him. I do like the new Future tho.

Severian 02.22.2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Yeah Young Thug sucks. None of us are into him. I do like the new Future tho.

Yeah I do too. I like bits and pieces of DS2 as well, but only for a certain kind of dumbed down listening. Know what I mean? Like, I may throw on Future when I'm just like "fuck it, I want to hear hip-hop and nothing's jumping out at me... Gonna slap on something really basic that just bumps along"

But there are a few songs on Evol that do more than that. They're well produced. Well enough that they make up for Future's utter lack of lyrical ability.

Honest was good too. But overall I truly think these people who flip out over him must all be in their late teens. Only explanation that makes sense. And I may be a music snob, but I can appreciate dumb music done right. There's almost an art to making good dumb music. Sometimes dumb music is actually deceptively brilliant. I hate to call Spiritualized dumb, but they kind of are. And yet, Jason Pierce had made some of my favorite albums.

I don't mind throwing on some good, easy, simple, direct redundant rap every once in a while, because it is possible to do that shit well. And Furure has done it well on Evol.

Young Thug is just a goddamn disgrace.

Severian 02.22.2016 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
well, Hold my Liquor is the best kanye song. maybe one of my fav songs. it's fucking illiest ill.

100% agree. You are correct. It gets my blood up. Sometimes when I'm singing along with it I just start to scream it like its a fucking minor threat song or some shit. It's ill as hell.

louder 02.23.2016 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
oh well, that's how I heard them. your/the version is cool too. either way the song is unbelievable.

You actually heard them right:
http://genius.com/1913509/Kanye-west...andle-his-weed

When Justin Vernon sings the hook at the beginning it's "But this man can’t handle his weed", afterwards when Keef sings the hook it's always "But these bitches can't handle me".. interesting.

Sorry Sev. I thought he misheard them too so I had to check, just to ensure. You both weren't wrong though.

louder 02.23.2016 12:48 AM

So when are y'all gonna hear that BJ the Chicago Kid album..?

louder 02.23.2016 12:50 AM

Evol is only dumb because it has watered down versions of songs he's already done in earlier tapes.. Monster had songs that were legit good lyrically. "March Madness" and "News or Somethin" from last year were very good as well. Those songs deserved all the hype.. but now I'm starting to get sick of hearing about him.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.23.2016 02:27 AM

louder 02.23.2016 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

Haha! It really does.

Severian 02.23.2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
You actually heard them right:
http://genius.com/1913509/Kanye-west...andle-his-weed

When Justin Vernon sings the hook at the beginning it's "But this man can’t handle his weed", afterwards when Keef sings the hook it's always "But these bitches can't handle me".. interesting.

Sorry Sev. I thought he misheard them too so I had to check, just to ensure. You both weren't wrong though.

The more I thought about it the more I thought that "his weed" actually sounded right for the beginning. But I searched the lyrics too, and I came up with "what this man can't handle is me" every time. :confused:

Not arguing, just wondering where you found those lyrics. I didn't look on genius, which is probably where I should have started since that shit is annotated n' whatnot.

Either way, the lyrics are bomb. Slightly less bomb.

Man I miss Yeezus. 2013 was like the best music year man. There was so much hot shit in hiphop and so much badass electronic and punk shit. I fucking had a hell of a time with my top 10 that year. All 4/5 albums at least.

Man, did I tell you guys that Bkack Bug, that French by way of Sweden industrial electro scuzz punk band I love who almost beat Yeezus for album of the year in '13 have *broken up*? Well, it's true. I heard it from the singer himself on Twitter. He's got a new band and everything, but Black Bug is done. Tears for dead punk.

Severian 02.23.2016 07:45 AM

Oh I see you looked on genius. Hah.

Ok, I admit to being partially wrong. :D Sorry p_greezy

Severian 02.23.2016 07:56 AM

Reason #649 why I hate Pitchfork's writing staff:

http://m.pitchfork.com/news/63703-ka...llboard-chart/

I stayed up all night writing a story about teacher pensions and board of education meetings to meet a 7 a.m. deadline, and Pitchfork is employing some asshole to copy and paste this shit from Billboard as though it's actual fucking news. When have music streams ever transferred into direct sales? The album is not for sale, and we all knew this. So... why do these overpaid freelancers get paid for this filler bullshit while I'm trying to make graduation rates at alternative schools sound interesting?!

Severian 02.23.2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
So when are y'all gonna hear that BJ the Chicago Kid album..?

Bought it from iTunes the other day. Gave it a quick preview but haven't really had a chance to dig in yet. Like what I heard though.

noisereductions 02.23.2016 08:54 AM

I was thinking that the thing about Evol is that the beats are so good that really any competent rapper could have made that a good album. It's not like Future is incredible on it or anything. But it's a good album of good beats that he just happens to be the one rhyming on.

When the heck is YG gonna make another album?

What are the odds we get another A$AP-anything album anytime soon? I feel like our best bet is on Ferg. He's been releasing lots of stray singles. Honestly, I'd love an A$AP Mob compilation at this point of all the rando singles they've dropped... "Xscape," "Trillmatic," "Hella Hoes," these recent Wavy Wednesday tracks...... Actually even Ferg's "Doe Active" should've gotten a proper release. Then again, I always felt like Lords Never Worry, Live Love A$AP and Ferg Forever should have been retail mixtapes.

noisereductions 02.23.2016 08:55 AM

that X-Files pic is hilarious. So true. Just stamp a 4AD logo on that shit.

Severian 02.23.2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

I was thinking that the thing about Evol is that the beats are so good that really any competent rapper could have made that a good album. It's not like Future is incredible on it or anything. But it's a good album of good beats that he just happens to be the one rhyming on.

What are the odds we get another A$AP-anything album anytime soon? I feel like our best bet is on Ferg. He's been releasing lots of stray singles. Honestly, I'd love an A$AP Mob compilation at this point of all the rando singles they've dropped... "Xscape," "Trillmatic," "Hella Hoes," these recent Wavy Wednesday tracks...... Actually even Ferg's "Doe Active" should've gotten a proper release. Then again, I always felt like Lords Never Worry, Live Love A$AP and Ferg Forever should have been retail mixtapes.

All I know is that A$AP Rocky needs to move a little faster if he's going to have any kind of lasting impact. I'd love an A$AP Mob album too. I think it's the smartest thing those boys could do for their brand and their legacy right now. Make it a fucking behemoth of an album. Get those hood kids to bump it like mad. Then maybe worry about the solo stuff again.

And of course, feature Rocky prominently on the album because that's the main reason most folks would buy it. Myself included.

louder 02.23.2016 09:16 PM

I could use a new Ferg album. Don't really care about A$AP Mob as a whole right now though.

louder 02.23.2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

I understand. The reason I was disappointed was because I'm a Future fan and he was so "meh" on it. Didn't bring anything interesting to the table.

Quote:

That's been in the works for a while now. DJ Quik and Battlecat are involved.

Severian 02.23.2016 11:29 PM

DJ Quik and YG? Awesome. Count me in.

Actually I kinda feel as though YG has yet to really prove himself. As fun as My Krazy Life is, I think he needs to step things up a bit on his next project.

Rob Instigator 02.24.2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Hey, what's the consensus here about Yo Gotti?
I gave his new album a brief Spotify listen, and it had a couple nice moments.

I have been blasting Down in the DM for months but have not heard anything else by him. I did not particularly dig the new video for that track that was released a few weeks ago....