Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wolf Eyes Releases (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12381)

Washing Machine 04.19.2007 01:18 AM

Wolf Eyes Releases

I'm going to see them play tonight so im in the mood to start a discussion

Which is your favourite release?

Washing Machine 04.19.2007 01:34 AM

I like it when they do the quieter build-up stuff. I have to explain to people that they are not really a 'Noise' band. Its like how people call my my more experimental compositions 'Noise'. When its not at all.. Ive heard people call Glenn Branca a noise composer too...that made me laugh.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.19.2007 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washing Machine
I like it when they do the quieter build-up stuff. I have to explain to people that they are not really a 'Noise' band. Its like how people call my my more experimental compositions 'Noise'. When its not at all.. Ive heard people call Glenn Branca a noise composer too...that made me laugh.

Glenn Branca? Noise? WHaT?

Burned Mind is the only Wolf Eyes that I am familiar with. Dead in A Boat, Stabbed in the Face, and Ancient Delay are all pretty cool tracks.

sun city girl 04.19.2007 03:17 AM

my faves are dead hills and stabbed in the face (12" and the split-lp of the same name they made with panicsville).

i saw them last weekend, they were great. haven't heard the latest album though (human animal), but i've heard it's good.

Iain 04.19.2007 05:26 AM

I like Dread the best but I have only heard a handful of their records in the context of of their massive discography.

Washing Machine 04.19.2007 05:28 AM

hey Iain enjoy wolf eyes tonight!

Iain 04.19.2007 05:41 AM

I will, I hope. You too....

I thought I might not be able to go because I got some sort of food poisoning thing yesterday and spent all day in bed. But I am much improved today although still a bit rough.

The Black Wizards 04.19.2007 05:47 AM

human animal is my favourite, black vomit w/anthony braxton is great too. if you think they aren't noise you are crazy.

Washing Machine 04.19.2007 07:59 AM

Just downloaded Human Animal (Dont worry I am going to buy it). Its really interesting album.

Have you checked out 'Trawsfynydd Lo-Fi Liberation' front they or he is opening for Wolf Eyes tonight. Really very good

whorefrost 04.19.2007 08:44 AM

going to see 'em on Sunday. will be my sixth time seeing 'em. my favourite record of theirs is the Fuck the Old Miami 12" on Important. slightly underwhelmed by Human Animal at first although I have warmed to it somewhat...

Onani Nic 04.19.2007 08:57 AM

The albums I have:

Dead In A Boat- (with Anthony Braxton) Hot shit, only live album of theirs I own. The slow ,droney jams with double sax, hits off Burned Mind and between song banter are all great.

Slicer- The strangest album I have of theirs. Almost like minimalist techno or something. Top stuff.

Uglied- It says it's got the Dead Hills recordings on it but I think thats a lie. It's really jammy and lo-fi but good.

Fuck Pete Larsen- It's a bit too much like someone just recorded their practice. There are some good bits but probably my least favourite.

Wolf Eyes/Grey Daturas Split- They do their horror movie, metal scraping stuff here. Both bands sides are pretty rad. Grey Daturas are a drone band from Australia.

Burned Mind-On first listen it wasn't really enjoyable but it was exciting. I'd never heard anything like it before (it'd just moved from a place without any decent record stores), it must have been the album I listened to most in 2005. It was a pretty important album for me, I didn't know anything this extreme before it.

Human Animal- Some people thought the first half was pretty boring, but I loved it. Over all as good, if not better than Burned Mind. The Driller wasn't as good as Stabbed In the Face but Noise Not Music is pretty close.

River Slaughter- Double LP on Prurient's Hospital Productions. I love this record it's like a horror movie soundtrack with low end electronics, metal scraping, slow sax. Not for everyone but definately in my top three.

I consider myself a pretty big fan of Wolf Eyes but am missing some pretty big albums. What should I get next?

whorefrost 04.19.2007 09:44 AM

Dog Jaw is worth picking up.. I've yet to pick up River Slaughter but from yr description, it sounds like similar territory

Iain 04.19.2007 11:24 AM

I'd say get Dread...I think that one is ace as I have said.

pantophobia 04.19.2007 11:30 AM

Dread absolutely, may have the best single recorded track in their discography "Burn Your House Down"

Everyneurotic 04.19.2007 11:34 AM

my all time favorite is black vomit with anthony braxton. "thurston wants to talk about star wars!"

also kick ass:

dog jaw
burned mind (yeah yeah, i know, it's kinda like a junkier smegma, this one)
human animal

AVOID RIVER SLAUGHTER AT ALL COSTS, dullest record ever released, it's just amplifier hum with a few cymbal ticlinks and chain rattling, and all that for a whole fucking hour!!! it's beyond me that people actually paid $20+plus for such a piece of shit.

racehorse 04.19.2007 04:38 PM

black vomit w/ braxton is amazing.
so is fuck the old miami.
they are my two favourites.
i also love their set on the no fun dvd.

atsonicpark 04.19.2007 04:53 PM

black vomit for sure

jico. 04.19.2007 05:28 PM

one of my favourites is the last one i bought: Six Arms and Sucks.

i'm still waiting for Black Wing Over The Sand to get home :mad:

GravitySlips 04.19.2007 05:31 PM

i'm seeing them on sunday, can't wait.

Iain 04.20.2007 06:15 AM

Yes I certainly did.

It was ace, ace, ace. I even liked Consumer Electronics this time. The sound he was pumping out was a hell of a lot more physical and opressive whereas last time I saw him it was really shrill and just annoying. Also, he was a lot funnier. I was sold after about 3 minutes when he started rubbing his nipples.

I quite liked Trawsfynydd Lo-Fi Liberation Front, although I missed the first 10 minutes of their set, and Somatic Response were alright as well.

Wolf Eyes were fantastic and I overheard much gushing praise from a few people. My friend said it was like being 15 again and seeing Napalm Death. I also heard one bloke say it was like "seeing The Beatles before anyone knew who they were" and that it was "music to cross continents for". Which I thought was probably overstating it a little bit. They were ace though except I would have liked a bit more sax.