Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.23.2010 08:26 PM

Did you know that Ross Robinson showed Gummo to Slipknot before they recorded their self-titled?

atsonicpark 09.23.2010 08:27 PM

Haha, no! Makes sense, though -- I imagine IOWA is a lot like wherever Gummo takes place... can't remember at the moment.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.23.2010 08:29 PM

This is from a Revolver interview with Shawn Crahan (Clown):

Quote:

The way you edited the footage is reminiscent of the films of Harmony Korine.

Thank you. He did Gummo, and that is one of the greatest movies ever made. When we showed up in L.A. in ’98 to make our first record with Ross Robinson, he made us watch that movie before we could start recording. It changed my life. I was like, I understand this. I love it. I’m going to be making a movie after the next record, and I want it to be something like Gummo. I love stuff which is real and harsh and sad and fucked up. But on the other hand, I can’t get through The Texas Chainsaw Massacre because when Leatherface hangs that girl on the hook in the beginning, I almost black out. It’s so real, I can’t take it.

http://www.revolvermag.com/magazine/article/slipknot2/

noisereductions 09.23.2010 08:39 PM

@adam: I love the Wilco docu. I think it's great. I'll tell you one thing, I like Wilco. I like them a lot. But I LOVE Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's one of those albums that I want to say is over-rated, but I dont think it is. It's like this perfect fucking album by a band that's just "really good" y'know? I always buy their albums. I always like them. But I never love them like that one. AND AND AND I was into them BEFORE that album, so it's not even dick-riding-hype. Just saying.

atsonicpark 09.23.2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
This is from a Revolver interview with Shawn Crahan (Clown):

http://www.revolvermag.com/magazine/article/slipknot2/

Haha funny, thanks for that.

"Can't get through TCM because it's so real..." what a pussy.

atsonicpark 09.23.2010 09:19 PM

What I guess I never got about Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, and the documentary only skimmed over it (unless I missed something) -- what was so, um, "difficult" about it? There is a wee bit of noisiness and some keyboards or whatever, but the songs are straightforward as hell... actually, the album kinda has a lot of melodies, riffs, and production that reminds me of Crooked Rain Crooked Rain by Pavement! (was it because of that, perhaps? Since the band was more known for an alt-country type of sound before then?) Anyway, it just doesn't seem like an album that really would offend or challenge anyone, yet my understanding is the original record label hadn't made any money off of Wilco, ever, but still released their albums -- and this, their "challenging" album was the last straw?

The irony is A Ghost is Born is a much stronger album in every way, and is more experimental (and I still suspect that working with O'Rourke, they had to have heard Gastr Del Sol and O'Rourke's solo stuff, which seems like a clear influence on the album), and is quite frankly better -- but gets almost no recognition, strangely. The other irony is that the "label kicking Wilco off" thing is actually probably why the band and album is more well-known today. Funny.

atsonicpark 09.23.2010 09:31 PM

act da fool - 7/10

ANOTHER new Korine film! And this is probably his best work. Enoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUsB3S0CfKE

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.23.2010 10:03 PM

That was really cool. Thanks.

atsonicpark 09.23.2010 10:58 PM

He's also got a new documentary called INTO THE NIGHT, with Gasper Noe. It's pretty interesting. Also, the Trash Humpers DVD has BLOOD IN HAVANA and something else, I can't remember the title, MAC AND LUC or something, some little short.

So, yeah, in the past, like, month, he's released, oh, 5 new films/shorts. The fuck?!

ann ashtray 09.24.2010 03:07 AM

Holy Mountain

a-p a. niemi 09.24.2010 03:20 AM

atsonicpark 09.24.2010 03:53 AM

I love Point Blank so much.

Rob Instigator 09.24.2010 08:39 AM

I give all of Harmony's films a straight 0/10

massive full on suck for assholes

noisereductions 09.24.2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a-p a. niemi

Nice!

Derek 09.24.2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
@adam: I love the Wilco docu. I think it's great. I'll tell you one thing, I like Wilco. I like them a lot. But I LOVE Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. It's one of those albums that I want to say is over-rated, but I dont think it is. It's like this perfect fucking album by a band that's just "really good" y'know? I always buy their albums. I always like them. But I never love them like that one. AND AND AND I was into them BEFORE that album, so it's not even dick-riding-hype. Just saying.

I have several Wilco albums and I'm not sure at all why.

noisereductions 09.24.2010 12:50 PM

@adam, I'm still not sure I get how you can't rate docus. I mean, I like the subject of 2Pac for instance. I have a bunch of docus about him. Some are great. Some suck shit. I can definitely rate which ones are better at telling a story or wahtever. No?

atsonicpark 09.24.2010 03:00 PM

When I rate a movie, I rate on how it entertains me. Documentaries serve a different purpose -- to inform. How do I rate "the ability to inform"? How do I rate "the construction of a documentary on subject matter that may or may not interest you anyway -- which is why you're even watching the documentary"? I can easily rate the ability for a film to inspire/entertain/etc me, but I've never felt I could put a rating on a documentary.

Derek 09.24.2010 03:02 PM

I'm downloading the 4 Harmony Korine movies.

Will I be on the side of atsonicpark or the side of Joe Perinelo? Only time will tell.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 09.24.2010 03:23 PM

Either way, you're not gonna like Trash Humpers. haha

SonicBebs 09.24.2010 03:37 PM

err...Dream Girls
don't ask (and don't watch obviously...)