Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Modern Noise Bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13313)

GrungeMonkey 05.20.2007 07:37 AM

Modern Noise Bands

I love a bit of noise music. But almost everything I own is all the older stuff like SY, The Swans, Glenn Branca and various other things like that. Apart from Wolf Eyes, I am not particularly aware of that many newer bands around at the moment making good noise music... Any suggestions???

Iain 05.20.2007 07:51 AM

I wouldn't call SY, The Swans or Glenn Branca 'noise music' If you are looking for things of that ilk then most so called 'noise music' of today would probably dissapoint. If you like Wolf Eyes then maybe give Hair Police ago perhaps but most 'noise music' tends to abandon structure to a large degree in favour of exploring textures of sound and that. Or it's just an obnoxious din...

It sounds like you're more interested in noisy things that have their feet planted firmly in a rock stance so listing things like Merzbow, Prurient, Hive Mind etc would probably be pointless.

SYRFox 05.20.2007 07:55 AM

Mouthus!

atsonicpark 05.20.2007 07:55 AM

obvious but:

hair police
scissor shock
yellow swans

might be up your alley..

TheDom 05.20.2007 08:13 AM

Lightning Bolt

king_buzzo 05.20.2007 09:11 AM

Dream/aktion unit
Julie Mittens

Onani Nic 05.20.2007 11:22 AM

It think you'd like yellow swans, i reckon it has the swans, branca vibe more than prurient or hair police.

Starving Weirdos also rule, more drone than noise though.

Kevin Drumm- Sheer Hellish Masma

The last two Whitehouse albums.

I listen to a fair bit of local stuff actually like Castings, Moonmilk, Heil Spirits, Prehistoric Fucking Moron.

I've been looking at getting stuff by Blue Sabbath Black Cheer, Sports, Sword Heaven and Twodeadsluts Onegoodfuck but postage to Australia is a bitch.

Glice 05.20.2007 11:46 AM

Apart from Merzbow & Whitehouse (who are pretty much everything you need to know about noise) I'd heartily recommend Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music, Pauline Oliveros' earlier stuff and any Musique Concrete (Pierre Schaffer, Bernard Parmegiani, Luc Ferrari or Francisco Lopez). Otherwise, there's a million blogs which'll tell you about the other bits of noise that're important.

It's a terrifically patchy genre, might I recommend that you don't bother and get into country instead?

EDIT: I'm aware that none of this is modern, but to be fair, modern noise music is about as satisfying as dry humping trees, and no where near as perverted.

Everyneurotic 05.20.2007 12:51 PM

so you want like noise rock or noise noise?

GrungeMonkey 05.21.2007 06:16 AM

Well I guess I mean noise rock, I often find that complete noise can be a little boring if not done very well...

sarramkrop 05.21.2007 07:17 AM

Not a pure noise album, but Xinlisupreme's Tomorrow Never Comes album is a must-have too.

_slavo_ 05.21.2007 07:50 AM

For a good fuzzy noise rock, check out Hash Jar Tempo's "Under Glass"

SYRFox 05.21.2007 09:32 AM

Noise rock -> Liars, Gang Gang Dance, Double Leopards, Psychic Ills, Telepathe, Xiu Xiu...

Dead-Air 05.21.2007 09:35 AM

I really liked the last Skullflower album. Noise, yes, but also rather pretty.

Trasher02 05.21.2007 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
obvious but:

hair police
scissor shock
yellow swans

might be up your alley..

I SMELL SHAMELESS SELF_PROMOTION

Onani Nic 05.21.2007 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
just dont listen to aids wolf.

Not usually a hater but I have to agree.

tesla69 05.21.2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onani Nic
It I've been looking at getting stuff by Blue Sabbath Black Cheer, Sports, Sword Heaven and Twodeadsluts Onegoodfuck but postage to Australia is a bitch.

I listened to the Sword Heaven side of that split 12" with Lambsbread last night - its one big massive slam.

Also listened to the new threelobed lps by GHQ and MG500, all nicely done...

atari 2600 05.21.2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
so you want like noise rock or noise noise?

soundz of rock 'n' roll heaven
or
sounds of hell?
pick yr poison.
(in general)

atari 2600 05.21.2007 10:19 AM

i'm loosey goosey now stop making sense making sense

Iain 05.21.2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I really liked the last Skullflower album. Noise, yes, but also rather pretty.

Fuck...totally obvious call that I should have thought of. I haven't heard the newest Skullflower yet but a bunch of their other records are pretty much essential. Check out Exquisite Fucking Boredom, IIIrd Gatekeeper or Last Shot at Heaven. Those three are pretty ace.