Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   king of limbs discussion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=46623)

knox 02.18.2011 02:12 PM

king of limbs discussion

first listen, sounds amazing already.

PAULYBEE2656 02.18.2011 02:16 PM

got it just now..havent heard it..will listen later tonight..i will return with the paulybee 2 cents!

Decayed Rhapsody 02.18.2011 02:24 PM

I'm bored by it. I just think I'm bored by Radiohead in general, they have a sound that's kinda noticeable/distinctive, but I'm not into it.

Thom Yorke looks like a cock (rooster). He tries to be a funny spastic but he just looks like a grizzled cock.

noisereductions 02.18.2011 03:13 PM

it's already out? I thought Saturday?

DeadDiscoDildo 02.18.2011 03:31 PM

I've only heard two songs, little by little, and some other song where he's dancing like a dumbass, looking like A Clockwork Borange.

I didnt like the second one, but I actually really really liked "Little by Little".

The production is at least way better than In Rainbows.

knox 02.18.2011 03:40 PM

- Thom is hot, especially when dancing.
- 'Little by little' is one of the best, but it's hard to say, most tracks are really good.
- It was supposed to be tomorrow, but you know, it came out today. I bought the download on the website, and am waiting for my record to arrive.

deflinus 02.18.2011 04:40 PM

they're shipping the record earlier too. march 28th i think?

Separator is my favorite track.

Derek 02.18.2011 04:55 PM

It's boring.

atsonicpark 02.18.2011 05:26 PM

Wow, this is pretty boring so far. I mean -- what can I say? It's Radiohead. It sounds like them. This souns like stuff they could have recorded in their sleep. It's not "BAD", just uninspired.

And, perhaps, even worse, uninspiring.

hevusa 02.18.2011 05:26 PM

anyone know what text "the king of limbs" references?

downloading the album now

Derek 02.18.2011 05:36 PM

Sounds like a weak Thom Yorke solo record.

Torn Curtain 02.18.2011 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
anyone know what text "the king of limbs" references?

I read somewhere it's taken from Inception (but I don't know if that's true).

EDIT: not true apparently (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_of_Limbs)

_slavo_ 02.18.2011 06:02 PM

it's shit. shit shit shit shit shit shit shit.

and that comes from a guy who, 13 years ago listened to nothing else than this band and at that time was seriously ready to punch anyone bad-mouthing them.

but this, this is plain shit.

Derek 02.18.2011 06:08 PM

slavo gets it right. High five!

_slavo_ 02.18.2011 06:18 PM

high five derek!

hevusa 02.18.2011 07:24 PM

I'm a big radiohead fan too but I'm not that impressed after my first listen. But sometimes it needs to grow on me. i'll listen to it again tomorrow.

SuperCreep 02.18.2011 07:42 PM

on first listen, this isn't bad (aside from "feral" which really is bad), just very uneventful. "lotus flower" and "codex" are the standouts for me, but neither strike me as anything more than "nice." i guess "little by little" is pretty good too.

i wanna say it's a grower, but i just don't hear any redeeming ideas for it to warrant that tag. i'll listen to it a few more times just to make sure, though.

SuperCreep 02.18.2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Sounds like a weak Thom Yorke solo record.

honestly, you could have slapped "the eraser - part II" on this and i wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.

washer 02.18.2011 08:01 PM

Well, I like it enough. Although this band has always striked me in a very personal way and the fact that "The King of Limbs" gives a not so impressive first impression, it shows the Radiohead side I prefer and a very pleasant (and to me, strangely "bright" for the band in question) mood, so it might become a grower... Even though I agree it doesn't seems to be, by no means, that great when compared with the best Radiohead output.

atsonicpark 02.18.2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
it's shit. shit shit shit shit shit shit shit.

and that comes from a guy who, 13 years ago listened to nothing else than this band and at that time was seriously ready to punch anyone bad-mouthing them.

but this, this is plain shit.

Slavo wins.

This is the best post you've made in a while, wish I could rep you.

I'm going to go ahead and change my vote of it being "not bad" and have to agree.. it sucks. I honestly do think THE ERASER is a horrible record, absolutely bland in every way. And this record does resemble that one.

The songs are glossy and light. Radiohead sleepwalking. It's instant-songwriting studio shit, it's like Radiohead fucking with a shitty drum machine and layering obvious "Radiohead soundz" (TM) over top. It's boring as hell. Remember their INTERESTING electronic experiments on Kid A/Amnesiac? "Idiotheque" and so on? Fuck, those were badass. This shit is just bad. Bland as hell. Like, there's not even much songwirting on here. And the few "song" moments are just rehashes of shit Radiohead did better 11 years ago.

In Rainbows was boring but some of the riffing was okay. THis doesn't even have that, to my ears. IN RAINBOWS was probably the single most difficult alubm to listen to in one sitting, since it was so goddamned boring. This album might be worse.