Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Ghostchase 04.29.2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
What an outstanding poster.

I know right. I was like "Holy shit. I gotta see this."

demonrail666 04.29.2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

I have The Creature Walks Among Us on VHS. Still haven't watched it. :(

The Creature Walks Among Us.

I had fond memories of this but, watching it again, I can't really see how. It's not awful but takes forever to get going and, even when it does, it's a bit of a let down. Closer to the Frankenstein story than any of the others, it's probably got the most interesting things to say about the whole ethics of science thing, but it says them in such a long-winded and not particularly interesting way that even that doesn't save it. And, while crucial to the story, I really didn't like the way they made the creature look more human in this one. Although the final scene is a bona fide 50 sf/horror classic.

Either way, this is what we want:

Not this:

louder 04.30.2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
If anything, I'd say Creature From the Black Lagoon is more sad or even romantic than scary.

now i'll have to check it out!

h8kurdt 04.30.2012 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Either way, this is what we want:

Not this:

Jesus that bottom one is almost as bad as the clay face on Hello by Lionel Richie.

LifeDistortion 05.04.2012 11:44 AM

I would love to view an "The Avengers"/Cabin in the Woods" double feature. Might need to go back to my theatre-hopping ways of yesteryear.

stu666 05.05.2012 06:11 PM

an evening with viewtiful 05.06.2012 12:11 AM

Fantastic. I always forget just how fucking funny (and generally amazing) the Coen brothers are. Also, George Clooney not just playing himself?? wowza

Definitive blaxploitation... nothing more, nothing less.

louder 05.06.2012 04:55 AM

Taxi Driver is my fav by lightyears. that's just me tho. Raging Bull is one of the 4 or 5 Scorsese flicks i would give a 10 without hesistating.

evollove 05.06.2012 02:25 PM

The text says, "The Avengers breaks box office record," but I read, "Evollove will never see this movie."

Meanwhile, I cannot get enough of GOD BLESS AMERICA. Download it, see it if it comes to town, buy it on BlueRay/DVD and send Bobcat Goldwaith any extra cash you may have lying around.

Genteel Death 05.06.2012 02:57 PM

Film by Derek Jarman 1972, soundtrack by Throbbing Gristle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIr3xf18DWM

Genteel Death 05.06.2012 04:57 PM

6/10

Pelle 05.06.2012 05:00 PM

11 / 10
just perfect.

keep poppin pimples 05.06.2012 09:55 PM

6/10

7/10

7/10

Dr. Eugene Felikson 05.07.2012 02:17 AM

I'm seeing the Avengers tomorrow night, after I wrap up my own filming for the day. I'm extremely excited, not because I really like superhero movies, but because I really like Joss Whedon and his work. As a fan, I really appreciate seeing him on top of the entertainment world right now.

Will I enjoy it more than Cabin in the Woods? Only time will tell...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death

6/10

I absolutely adore this film. Better than Friday the 13th, I'd say.

Genteel Death 05.07.2012 11:42 AM

Jaws 2

9/10

10/10

Genteel Death 05.07.2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

I absolutely adore this film. Better than Friday the 13th, I'd say.

I rated it 6/10 because the plot didn't differ too much from many other movies dealing with bullying. It's enjoyable though, agreed.

Genteel Death 05.07.2012 01:51 PM

Re-watched this for the first time since it came out. Even though it contains more than a few funny moments, I think it stands up as a ''serious'' movie purely for content and dialogue, considering the director is Chris Morris. I'm not a big fan of many modern British movies (or many modern movies in general for that matter) because they seem to be filmed from the perspective of filmmakers who should be doing TV instead of cinema, and frankly I'm more than a little tired of this polished, documentary-like, ultra-realistic style over experimentation with images. Too much footage ends up looking like it could have been filmed by anyone with a HD videocamera. CM excelled at doing weird things with ''Jam'' for sure. I think the two approaches to filming should find some distance from each other again, if there ever was one in the first place I don't really know. Anyway, most enjoyable and I am a big Chris Morris fan, if only because he always does the right thing for me.

tw2113 05.08.2012 02:01 AM

The African Queen

Torn Curtain 05.08.2012 07:30 AM

6/10

evollove 05.08.2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Re-watched this for the first time since it came out. Even though it contains more than a few funny moments, I think it stands up as a ''serious'' movie purely for content and dialogue, considering the director is Chris Morris. I'm not a big fan of many modern British movies (or many modern movies in general for that matter) because they seem to be filmed from the perspective of filmmakers who should be doing TV instead of cinema, and frankly I'm more than a little tired of this polished, documentary-like, ultra-realistic style over experimentation with images. Too much footage ends up looking like it could have been filmed by anyone with a HD videocamera. CM excelled at doing weird things with ''Jam'' for sure. I think the two approaches to filming should find some distance from each other again, if there ever was one in the first place I don't really know. Anyway, most enjoyable and I am a big Chris Morris fan, if only because he always does the right thing for me.

There's that moment when that fellow is running in a field with a bomb and he falls and explodes, taking out a few sheep with him. The others try to pick up his pieces, but bits of sheep end up in the pile as well. In other words, the dude is equated with sheep. It's a funny-but-sad moment, and that's when I knew this was a very special movie.