Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What do you think is lacking from today's music? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31281)

jon boy 05.13.2009 04:48 PM

strobe lights and food fights, thats whats missing. also rollerskates.

sarramkrop 05.13.2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the enginners/session guys/producers/etc are NOT what is sold in mainsteream music, and most fans of it do not give a fuck who the producer/session guy/engineer is. they want to see mariah carey, and the jonas bros. no one cares about the old geezers standing in shadows playing all the music at a jonas bros show.

It's the same with rock music. It's the same with most people who pay for any entertainement of any kind, Roberta.

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
what's the real deal?

music to put on and be swept away by, not music to have dinner with your uncle and aunt to.

Decayed Rhapsody 05.13.2009 04:48 PM

You're all a bunch of balding rockists. We need more

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

It's the same with rock music. It's the same with most people who pay for any entertainement of any kind, Roberta.

not with jazz, nor blues, nor punk or underground rock, nor folk, nor classical music. not for the local funk bands or reggae bands

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 04:50 PM

I agree with the dynamics statement. dynamics in music means the relationship between the loud and the quiet, the forceful and the delicate. much music these days is one note. that is why everyone used to love the pixies, before everyone ripped them off. they had a sense of dynamic range in their songs and they used it for full effect.

sarramkrop 05.13.2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

not with jazz, nor blues, nor punk or underground rock, nor folk, nor classical music. not for the local funk bands or reggae bands

What do you mean, baby doll?

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
You're all a bunch of balding rockists. We need more

you do not see that this guy is ROCKING OUT! that is what is needed, not specifically a guitar sound. it is personal AGGRESSION

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

What do you mean, baby doll?

mainstream popular music does have talent behind the scenes, but most bands working in the genres I threw out there are doing it all themselves. there is not a hype machine in jazz or blues or classical music (not popera or those fucking tenors, but regular classical symphony and chamber music concerts)
the problem is that a hype machine was developed for underground rock a couple of decades ago and it has fucked up the underground.

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 04:56 PM

I think that the people who make the most mopney from music want fans to treat the music as disposable, because if it si disposable you are always ready to buy a whole shitton of new stuff that they shove down yr throats. the old stuff holds no meaning. (of course I am speaking in generalities, but I see this especially in hip hop. and genero rock)

Rob Instigator 05.13.2009 05:07 PM

what is needed is more waitresses

Savage Clone 05.13.2009 05:09 PM

Quote:

what is needed is more waitresses

jon boy 05.13.2009 05:20 PM

clearly what is missing is rob instigator and sarramkrop.

sarramkrop 05.13.2009 05:26 PM

And Jon Boy's talent, obviously.

jon boy 05.13.2009 05:30 PM

i want nothing to do with you.

sarramkrop 05.13.2009 05:37 PM

Good. I don't like you, anyway.

ni'k 05.13.2009 05:40 PM

what is lacking in todays music is its ability to challenge the dominant ideology or provide any new form of transgression that doesn't lead to hedonistic self destruction thus destroying any revolutionary or emancipatory potential.

very little music is able to go beyond sucking off the dead guts of a past or imagined counter culture. people pretend there is still something somehow credible about outdated punk/noise/art moves.

the claim that the 90's bands killed off hair metal and flamboyance and indulgence is only partly true. people like thurston moore just ressurected it in the form of spewing out noise releases that are the postmodern equivalent of the indulgence of 80's fretwanking guitar solo metal or 70's prog flamboyance.

that entire argument or the word "internet".

we are locked into a nostalgia for a time when the cd/lp/cs artifact could still function as a portal to new undiscovered culture. now it really can't because it's been made obsolete by the computer which works as a musical object with infinitely editable cover art/liner notes/songs/videos.

wellcharge 05.13.2009 05:41 PM

i'm completely bored of rocking out, rock based music has by far the widest shit to good ratio. i think it's probably about 10000000 shit to 10 good

sarramkrop 05.13.2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ni'k
what is lacking in todays music is its ability to challenge the dominant ideology or provide any new form of transgression that doesn't lead to hedonistic self destruction thus destroying any revolutionary or emancipatory potential in the individual.

very little music is able to go beyond sucking off the dead guts of a past or imagined counter culture. people pretend there is still something somehow credible about outdated punk/noise moves.

the claim that the 90's bands killed off hair metal and flamboyance and indulgence is only partly true. people like thurston moore just ressurected it in the form of spewing out noise releases that are the modern equivalent of the 80's fretwanking guitar solo or 70's prog flamboyance indulgence.

The first two paragraphs I'm totally with you,. The third I think is a little too harsh harsh. Sonic Youth haven't been avantgarde since the 80's, or at least not in a more linear way that would make the fans rely on them for 'never heard before' new thrills throughout. I don't think that's a bad thing, since they still made some great records since then.

greedrex 05.13.2009 05:53 PM

WM and ATL sounded pretty avant garde to me.