Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Do you believe in ghosts? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41704)

artsygrrl 10.10.2010 06:52 PM

Do you believe in ghosts?

:eek: Like, real spirits and such?
Or, haunted houses?
I totally do.

atsonicpark 10.10.2010 07:00 PM

Yeah, totally.........

One time, after my uncle died, I was staying at my aunt -- and her new boyfriend's -- house... she had been cheating on my uncle before he died of cirrhosis of the liver. Long story. Anyway...

I was there with my aunt and my aunt's friend's daughter. Me and this girl were playing hide and seek. Suddenly, she started screaming. She had looked into the mirror and saw someone staring at her. She was shaking and crying. Then, the front door swung open. There is absolutely no way this huge door could have opened. The 2 dogs started barking wildly. My aunt pulled out her gun and got on the phone and we walked up and down the driveway (this was in the country) but saw no one/heard nothing. We would have at least heard sticks breaks, leaves break, SOMETHING... no one could remain completely still, completely quiet like that...

Then, we got on the computer and a program had been opened about 50 times -- just some random program. Earlier in the day, we had been on the computer and then put it on the screensaver.. we hadn't been anywhere near the program that was open (if I remember correctly, it was sound recorder -- no, there were no sound files loaded on it). There was absolutely no way that this program could have been opened 50 times, since no one had been at the computer.

All night long, the dogs -- usually very reliable watch dogs -- would start barking. The three of us stayed up all night, huddled together, scared out of our minds.

...Also, me, my mom, my aunt, my grandma, my grandpa, and various visitors over the years have felt the presence/seen a "little man" in my grandpa's house. Someone would bring it up, like "I just saw a little man run down the hallway" and someone else would say, "...I've seen that before." We've had visitors that think they saw "someone" running through the hall. Very strange. He seems to have disappeared a few years ago, when my grandma died. But I definitely witnessed him run down the hallway, and sit in the bedroom at the foot of the bed a few times when I was younger, before anyone had even told me of his existence.

!@#$%! 10.10.2010 07:01 PM

everything is possible i suppose. proving it is another story. then again, belief requires no proof, unlike knowledge. so we're all good in either camp.

!@#$%! 10.10.2010 07:02 PM

i believe in spaghetti

deflinus 10.10.2010 07:27 PM

i believe in haunted toilets. trust me.. it's scary

jennthebenn 10.10.2010 07:40 PM

I believe in ghosts/spirits, as well as spaghetti.

hevusa 10.10.2010 07:44 PM

0% objective information about them = not real
In fact I would say it is fairly childish to believe in ghosts.

jennthebenn 10.10.2010 08:02 PM

Every adult soul has childish residue.

hevusa 10.10.2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Every adult soul has childish residue.

Souls... yet another example of human invention with 0% objective information supporting its existence.

jennthebenn 10.10.2010 08:23 PM

Yet you have no qualms with spaghetti.

hevusa 10.10.2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Yet you have no qualms with spaghetti.

Especially not this one:
http://www.venganza.org/

!@#$%! 10.10.2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
Souls... yet another example of human invention with 0% objective information supporting its existence.

metaphysics aside we can also use the word to refer to the highly individual emotional/sensory array that emerges from the the nervous system. when people say "this music has no soul" they don't mean that it lacks a ghost, they mean that it lacks human emotion and it gives the impression of having been composed by machines-- not smart machines, just dumb ones.

on the other hand, there's the godfather of soul

Derek 10.11.2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hevusa
0% objective information about them = not real
In fact I would say it is fairly childish to believe in ghosts.

Well, who the fuck knows what's out there? We can't completely base what we think on scientific verification (mind you, I'm not a religious type, but I'm certainly one to believe in the supernatural).

hevusa 10.11.2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Well, who the fuck knows what's out there? We can't completely base what we think on scientific verification (mind you, I'm not a religious type, but I'm certainly one to believe in the supernatural).

I see no point in making stupid shit up just because we don't know what's out there. There is enough of that fucking shit up in the world already.

Derek 10.11.2010 09:52 AM

Gotta have something to believe in.

nicfit 10.11.2010 10:01 AM

"NYC Flowers" sounds bad.

pbradley 10.11.2010 10:13 AM

I believe in the ghost of ghosts.

*flatulence*

hevusa 10.11.2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Gotta have something to believe in.

I don't understand why? I'm getting along just fine... and being an honest person is nice. I don't pretend things into existence.

chicka 10.11.2010 11:23 AM

I believe. I saw them run from my kitchen to the stairs and disappear from my sight. I know I'll never convince anyone who doesn't believe but anybody who believes knows what I'm talking about. They don't hang around but for that second they're as real as the keyboard I'm typing on.

gualbert 10.11.2010 11:39 AM

Yes.
My dead relatives haunt me in my sleep.