Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

ilduclo 06.06.2019 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Just watched the trailer through your link and am totally intrigued. Where did you watch this? Is it streaming somewhere or did you have to rent?

got an mp4

http://ccclubfoundation.org/mole-man/

tw2113 06.06.2019 10:42 PM

"Chokeslam" because I'm a sucker for prowrestling.

Severian 06.07.2019 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian

Finally watched Suspiria 2018.

So, first off, I’m a huge fan of the original, which is one of the best horror movies of all time.

Secondly, this pays homage to the original but is actually WAY MORE FUCKED THE FUCK UP HOLY SHIT.

I watched it in 3 installments, because it’s fucking really long. I may have lost the thread of the story just a bit (there are some implicit elements that I might not have picked up on) but I am not watching it again. It. Is. Super. Fucking. Fucked. Up. And. Upsetting. Holy. McWow.

That said, it’s pretty good.

Tip: don’t eat while watching from the midpoint on. You’re welcome.

Has anyone else seen this?
For some reason it’s being streamed as an “Amazon Original” on Prime, even though it definitely wasn’t an Amazon Original.

Anyway, curious.

LifeDistortion 06.07.2019 08:28 AM

Amazon/Amazon studios own the U.S. distribution rights to the Suspiria remake, thus why its referred to as an Amazon Original.

Peterpuff 06.07.2019 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilduclo

Dig it. Thanks for the link.

ilduclo 06.07.2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Amazon/Amazon studios own the U.S. distribution rights to the Suspiria remake, thus why its referred to as an Amazon Original.

They’re saying that a LOT, for tons of things that they had zero creative input on... seems kinda fucked up to me, but at least I’m glad to they are doing the distro

:confused:

Severian 06.07.2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion

SO HAS ANYONE SEEN IT

tw2113 06.07.2019 10:07 PM

Hereditary

demonrail666 06.07.2019 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
SO HAS ANYONE SEEN IT

I saw it at the cinema but it hasn't been released on DVD yet in the UK.

I went in thinking I was gonna hate it, and part of me actually wanted to, but while I definitely prefer the original, I came away thinking it had enough of its own thing going on to let me appreciate it independently of Argento's film. My one real criticism of it was a feeling that the people behind it were a little too keen to give it a socio-political context, as though making a pure, unashamed horror film was somehow beneath them. And it's simply faaaar too long. (OK so that's two criticisms).

ilduclo 06.08.2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Hereditary

I thought that was really good. Way better new horror than many movies with greater touting.

Severian 06.08.2019 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I saw it at the cinema but it hasn't been released on DVD yet in the UK.

I went in thinking I was gonna hate it, and part of me actually wanted to, but while I definitely prefer the original, I came away thinking it had enough of its own thing going on to let me appreciate it independently of Argento's film. My one real criticism of it was a feeling that the people behind it were a little too keen to give it a socio-political context, as though making a pure, unashamed horror film was somehow beneath them. And it's simply faaaar too long. (OK so that's two criticisms).

Yeah, it took me three sittings to get through.

Damn near three hours.

But I generally agree. Enough of its own thing that I stopped looking/counting for ways it diverged from the original about 20 minutes in. And Tilda is just great in it.

The gore seemed worse than in the original, which is one of my favorite movies. Maybe it’s just more intense? I dunno. Very fucking gross at times, though.

h8kurdt 06.08.2019 09:30 AM

Three sittings?! What are you an 8 year old hopped up on monster drinks?

LifeDistortion 06.09.2019 12:46 AM

Sort of a double bill today/tonight. I saw Rocketman in theaters this afternoon, and got home from that and ended up watching A Star is Born on HBO. Both pretty solid flicks. Rocketman the better one though.

Severian 06.09.2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Three sittings?! What are you an 8 year old hopped up on monster drinks?

Nope. I’m just really busy and it’s like 3 hours. I have like 45 minutes a night to myself. Sooo

tw2113 06.09.2019 11:12 PM

Dr. Jekyll and Ms Hyde...as cheesily bad as it sounds.

!@#$%! 06.09.2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Dr. Jekyll and Ms Hyde...as cheesily bad as it sounds.

that is a great novella.

read when you get a chance nabokov’s analysis of it. which is brilliant. it’s in a book of notes that john updike’s wife took while she was a student in cornell. tldr; it got published. one of the best books of literary criticism ever written. even his dismissal of joyce, which is hilarious.

tw2113 06.10.2019 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
that is a great novella.

read when you get a chance nabokov’s analysis of it. which is brilliant. it’s in a book of notes that john updike’s wife took while she was a student in cornell. tldr; it got published. one of the best books of literary criticism ever written. even his dismissal of joyce, which is hilarious.

This is a great novella? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112895/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

tw2113 06.10.2019 01:06 AM

Ending my 9 days off with Paul Rudd and Reese Witherspoon's "Overnight Delivery"

!@#$%! 06.10.2019 06:22 AM

Quote:

wnat i mean is it doesnt sound cheesy to me at all and why would it?

but... that looks like finkle is einhorn (the sequel)

Bertrand 06.10.2019 07:09 AM

Tim Daly's really not as good as Sean Young (in Ms Hyde).

Went to see Bong Joon-ho's Parasite.
Wonderful light, frame work, story, actors...
There's no big rhythm change as most of the story takes place in a posh house where you don't have to worry about anything.
One wonderful long scene. The guy knows how to manage a story on paper and on screen.

Some critics (few) have tended to say that it wasn't as good as its price (Palme d'Or) showed, though they all had loved the guy from the start of his career. French critics. French posh critics.