Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 7: polvo - today's active lifestyles (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16024)

atsonicpark 09.02.2007 06:00 PM

classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 7: polvo - today's active lifestyles

POLVO "TODAY'S ACTIVE LIFESTYLES"
1993, Merge
  1. "Thermal Treasure" - 4:32
  2. "Lazy Comet" - 3:49
  3. "My Kimono" - 2:21
  4. "Sure Shot" - 3:24
  5. "Stinger (Five Wigs)" - 7:23
  6. "Tilebreaker" - 4:09
  7. "Shiska" - 1:30
  8. "Time Isn't On My Side" - 3:06
  9. "Action Vs. Vibe" - 3:43
  10. "Gemini Cusp" - 7:05
Well, as a band, Polvo is pretty much perfect... "Shapes" didn't have too many stand-out moments, but it's not like it had any bad songs.. so, it's really difficult to choose a "classic" album from this band.. I think my favorite thing by them might be the Celebrate the New Dark Age EP, but since that is just an EP, I'll choose this..

I don't even remember how I first heard this album.. I think I was reading about "math rock" or something. Anyway.. Using alternate tunings, complex song structures, and a sense of melody unsurpassed (though underplayed on this particular album), Polvo created a unique sound that -- feel free to disagree -- crafted the best elements of Pavement and Sonic Youth without any of the fat or filler (no Pavementy stupid lyrics; no Sonic Youth midsong feedback breaks or overt sassiness).

Every song on here is amazing and -- most importantly -- different. They could have easily written 10 chugging noise rock numbers, but they managed to fill their songs to the brim with innovative guitar textures. The best song, BY FAR, is "stinger", which applies noise with melodic guitar playing and creepy harmonics for a startlingly epic effect.

Another highlight is "My Kimono", which is just guitarist Ash Bowie playing a solo guitar piece on strangely-tuned guitar; it makes me want to give up playing guitar forever. So effortlessly beautiful. Ridiculous.

For fans of Thinking FEllers Union Local 282, Sonic Youth, Truman's Water... this is one of the best albums of all time and the most overlooked. Give it a listen. It's perfect.

Glice 09.02.2007 06:21 PM

These threads are all well and good, but could you do one for an album that's not shit/ obscure/ shit & obscure? Perhaps the Carpenters' best of or something?

pbradley 09.02.2007 06:28 PM

I avoid this band like I avoid most bands described as "math rock." It's not fair and hypocritical on my part but hey life sucks.

atsonicpark 09.02.2007 06:34 PM

They're the least-math rock band to ever be classified as math rock. They're mindblowing; more consistant than Sonic Youth (but obviously only have a few albums whereas Sonic Youth has like 20). You're really missing out. I dunno how you could avoid a bunch so structurally rich, melodically complex, and uniqually noisey, but one day you'll check em out and be like "what was I thinking?"

atsonicpark 09.02.2007 06:40 PM

Also, Glice, I haven't even really posted any obscure albums; I kinda want to post about Zazen Boys, Coaltar of the Deepers, Gaji, Plus-Tech Squeezebox, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Vicious Hairy Mary, Circus Monoxide, and stuff like that but I'm posting relatively mainstream acts like Captain Beefheart.

Everyneurotic 09.02.2007 09:23 PM

i love this album, i don't listen to it enough. i love the liquid quality of the guitars.

polvo are as math as shellac or unwound, they are not as math as don caballero, battles or dillinger escape plan. it's aritmetics instead of logarithims.

PAULYBEE2656 09.03.2007 03:29 AM

yes yes and yes. best polvo ive heard to date!

ZEROpumpkins 09.03.2007 04:03 AM

I've been meaning to get this album for months now. I've heard some samples and it sounds very good.

farmhouse 09.03.2007 05:52 AM

hmmmm . . . i hear sonic youth all over this album.

which can either be a good or a bad thing. sometimes both.

king_buzzo 09.03.2007 05:55 AM

unfortunately, i has it not.

king_buzzo 09.03.2007 05:57 AM

but i is dowloading it now.

GrungeMonkey 09.03.2007 12:16 PM

Brilliant album, I love Thermal Treasure - its just one of the most crazy ass brutal insane pop(ish) songs I've ever heard.

atsonicpark 09.03.2007 12:40 PM

YEAH, thermal treasure has that insane ... is it a flanger or a wah? It's only in it for like half a second at a time.. great..

Oh, and is this album made me rethink the whammy bar.

king_buzzo 09.03.2007 01:04 PM

got it and love it!

can anyone upload vibracobra? saw it on youtube, its a beautifull song? please?

GravitySlips 09.03.2007 03:54 PM

awesome band, and this is my favourite Polvo album

Massassinated 09.03.2007 05:04 PM

Great (and criminally underrated) band.
I dunno which album I prefer, either this one or Exploded drawing.

atsonicpark 09.03.2007 05:55 PM

i think i'd rate it like this:

1. today's
2. exploded
3. cor crane
4. shapes

though i think their ep's were the best.. 1. celebrate, 2. this, 3. s/t.. yeah.

atsonicpark 09.03.2007 05:56 PM

oh.. the tuning on this album is G G C C C E .. lazy comt is D A# A# # D D

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 09.03.2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pbradley
I avoid this band like I avoid most bands described as "math rock." It's not fair and hypocritical on my part but hey life sucks.

They are great and very unique. I would barely call them math rock.

atsonicpark 09.03.2007 10:16 PM

yeah.. pbradley must be scared of innovative music.